Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers' implants translate languages for them? Read more here: Translators

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Knighthood of the Merciful Crown - WiP Brainstorm Thread  (Read 29214 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Knighthood of the Merciful Crown - WiP Brainstorm Thread
« Reply #90 on: 12 Apr 2012, 15:17 »

* Aldrith Shutaq EVEwho's ALL the potential enemies!

Oh god, what have I done!?

[spoiler]/me is so doing this for all future war-targets[/spoiler]

In all seriousness however and back on topic, I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I've played with the idea of coming back to EVE and doing a Federation-themed corp of the same type.

...only now if I ever do I'll be considered unoriginal because Aldrith and co. beat me to the punch. :cry:
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2012, 15:20 by BloodBird »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #91 on: 12 Apr 2012, 15:22 »

Aw come on, don't let that stop you! We need noble yet harsh bastions of kickassery in all the empires! We can all even have overt rivalries countered with silent, begruding respect, and we might even on occassion work together to take down pirates and Sansha!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #92 on: 12 Apr 2012, 17:02 »

And now that you said that it does sound extremely tempting.

God damn you.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #93 on: 12 Apr 2012, 21:17 »

* Mizhara grabs that Evewho link and runs off wooping.

Best website ever!

Desiderya

« Reply #94 on: 16 Apr 2012, 11:37 »

I bring inspiration.

Quote from: Pratchett
If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you are going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.
They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the murder like another man will put off a good cigar.
So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #95 on: 16 Apr 2012, 11:46 »

Strange. I never considered Alexander Allisieer to be a good man.

Well said, though I'm not sure it's to correct. (We might have a talk about that some other time.)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #96 on: 16 Apr 2012, 11:57 »

I bring inspiration.

Quote from: Pratchett
If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you are going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.
They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the murder like another man will put off a good cigar.
So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.

That's a damn sexy quote. Where's it from, and may I butcher it a little to make it into a more Amarrian-flavored catch-phrasey thing?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #97 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:06 »

That's Terry Pratchet, one of the Discworld novels (not sure which one).  He's got all sorts of neat little things like that that actually make his insane fantasy setting quite dark.

One of my favorites is that "Ankh-Morpork (The biggest city in the world) has a very low murder rate.  It has a very high suicide rate.  You decide to take a swim in the Ankh (river) and you just committed suicide.  You walk down (particularly nasty street)?  Suicide.  Walk into a bar full of trolls and talk about how their mothers got a little too friendly with some rocks somewhere down the line?  Suicide!"

And that therefore the city watch doesn't have to get involved in TOO much.  Just the really bad stuff.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #98 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:06 »

Also, that quote about evil men was -probably- in reference to the Evil Overlord who rules Ankh-Morpork, though honestly he seems to get good advice and probably counts as a 'good guy' on that list.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Jev North

« Reply #99 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:26 »

The suicide quote is basically Jevvykins' justification for piracy in a nutshell. How is it her fault if you're stupid enough to end up in point range, under the several frankly oversized-calibre guns a crazy infomorph bolted to her ship? Things just take their natural course from there.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #100 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:36 »

A whole lot of pirates justify their acts that way. Most of Veto does, I recall. Good luck trying to state that in Mercy's Keep, however; you wouldn't leave with all of your limbs! ;3

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #101 on: 16 Apr 2012, 14:38 »

Also, that quote about evil men was -probably- in reference to the Evil Overlord who rules Ankh-Morpork, though honestly he seems to get good advice and probably counts as a 'good guy' on that list.

It's from Men at Arms, and it's not actually a Vetinari reference.  It's used twice - first (the evil) in reference to an assassin, the second (the good) to Captain Carrot, who as the quote states, kills the bad guy without a word.  Big fan of the City Watch stuff, myself.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #102 on: 16 Apr 2012, 14:42 »

A whole lot of pirates justify their acts that way. Most of Veto does, I recall. Good luck trying to state that in Mercy's Keep, however; you wouldn't leave with all of your limbs! ;3

It's often more a "you went into the attic without a lantern, it's your own fucking fault if you get eaten by a Grue" sort of justification than "but but but THEY LANDED IN MY LAP".

The "preying on capsuleers causes less death and destruction than on baseliner-run vessels" approach is the only one that has any actual sense or logic to it beyond the self-convincing aspect, though.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Desiderya

« Reply #103 on: 16 Apr 2012, 15:50 »

The watch novels are definitely a treat. And yes, the quote is from Men at arms. 
Pratchett manages it to write gripping stories that offer varieties to smile and give food for thought.

Here's another one I like, not really related to the topic at hand, though.
Quote from: Going Postal
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #104 on: 16 Apr 2012, 17:57 »

It's often more a "you went into the attic without a lantern, it's your own fucking fault if you get eaten by a Grue" sort of justification than "but but but THEY LANDED IN MY LAP".

"If she didn't want to get raped, she shouldn't have been walking through that park on her own"

Not convinced.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15