Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Character names: History, reasons, etc.  (Read 87328 times)

Crucifire

Re: Character names: History, reasons, etc.
« Reply #60 on: 06 Mar 2011, 21:30 »

Crucifire is lifted straight from a metal album and titular song, and is a fitting name since she started out as a Crucifier pilot. I also wanted my character's callsign to sound like a username picked by some metalhead because it's undeniable that capsuleers share a lot in common with MMO players. It's not my favorite name I've ever picked for a character, but I'm happy with how it fits.

As for her real name, I ripped the family name from an in game Brutor agent and Etna is a favorite song of mine.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2011, 21:32 by Crucifire »

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #61 on: 07 Mar 2011, 00:02 »

None of my characters really have much history. I tend to look at a character, get a feel for their key features, and formulate a name that best represents them. A lot of times I'll look up names from other cultures and mix and match, or adapt them to the feel of the world they inhabit.

When I made my first character in EVE, Kaleigh just looked so Celtic, it was hard not to give her a wholesome Irish name. When I later created her sisters, they became an extension of that lineup with Nola and Aideen. Some others have been: Gyra Rho, Valerie Hess, Mei Dan, Solienne Barbier, etc, etc.

Something I'm always cognizant of when designing new character names is how they sound when spoken aloud. They have to roll off the tongue and hopefully conjure in a reader some imagery that relates to the character.

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #62 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:21 »

Punx from the song "Skins, Punx and Drunx" by Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards
Evangeline from the song "Evangeline" by Bad Religion

I like punk music, so sue me  :D

-Punx

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #63 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:25 »

... so sue me  :D

-Punx
Normally I wouldn't, but as you asked so nicely. How much should we each sue you for, and is making me annoy my neighbours with NOFX being played loudly a good enough excuse to sue?
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #64 on: 09 Mar 2011, 12:54 »

... so sue me  :D

-Punx
Normally I wouldn't, but as you asked so nicely. How much should we each sue you for, and is making me annoy my neighbours with NOFX being played loudly a good enough excuse to sue?

I bet you could get around 250 ISK, NOFX is indeed addictive, of course the lawyers will take most of it...  :cry:

:lol:

-Punx

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #65 on: 09 Mar 2011, 12:56 »

I'll probably get 25 ISK back after expenses, then. Okay, we'll leave the suing until you're rich enough for me to extort billions. Deal?
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #66 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:09 »

I'll probably get 25 ISK back after expenses, then. Okay, we'll leave the suing until you're rich enough for me to extort billions. Deal?

Deal, but I must warn you, the yarr takes a serious bite out of my finances so your wait may be in vain.  :twisted: 

-Punx

Crucifire

« Reply #67 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:11 »

Punx from the song "Skins, Punx and Drunx" by Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards
Evangeline from the song "Evangeline" by Bad Religion

I like punk music, so sue me  :D

-Punx

Excellence! I had a feeling Evangeline was from that song, the Punx part tipped me off ;) Total off-topic but do you like the Murder City Devils? Really great band, I had the pleasure of seeing them in '09 on their reunion tour, right before they decided to work on new material. Was one of my favorite shows. Plus their drummer plays in a couple of my other favorite bands so that was a treat.

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #68 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:17 »

Excellence! I had a feeling Evangeline was from that song, the Punx part tipped me off ;) Total off-topic but do you like the Murder City Devils? Really great band, I had the pleasure of seeing them in '09 on their reunion tour, right before they decided to work on new material. Was one of my favorite shows. Plus their drummer plays in a couple of my other favorite bands so that was a treat.

No actually, I'll have to YouTube them when I get home tonight!

Thanks!

-Punx

Matsudaira Takuma

• Clonejack
« Reply #69 on: 15 Mar 2011, 17:06 »

I've been a nerd for years now and from that have watched a lot of anime in my time.  As such I jumped at the chance to roll Caldari as instantly I started envisioning Ghost in the Shell and other worlds where this sort of conglomorate came from. 

As such I named my character in the standard japanese way, family name first followed by your personal name.

Matsudaira is the clan name of the very first Shogun leaders in early japanese history, I know it's hardly original but I chose it because having read the EVE wiki on character naming I read that quite often (bad) fleet chiefs will call prio on names in alphabetic order, or reverse order, so M being bang in the middle I thought what a win.

Takuma is from Japanese 拓 (taku) "expand, open, pioneer" and 真 (ma) "real, true" which i felt would fit with my idea of what I wanted to do when i first joined EVE which was to become an explorer forging my way to things others had yet to discover.

Personally I would prefer people to shorten my name down to Taku but they generally call me "Mats"

Varlerian

• Your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur
  • Clonejack
« Reply #70 on: 27 Mar 2011, 16:45 »

Well...I hate my main's name, quite simply.

Originally I had wanted Valerian (inspired from Starcraft II's Valerian Mengsk), but for some odd reason I guess I spelled it incorrectly when typing up the name. I could have sworn I typed it right, but it wasn't until about a week later that I noticed I had put an "r" in there...sigh.

Ti'kihli came from some random part of my brain. At the time, I was thinking of Tila Tequila (those of you who watch MTV know who I'm talking about) so I morphed the sound around a bit and came up with Ti'kihli.

Thus forming Varlerian Ti'kihli... :(

Ah well, not gonna go off and make a new character just for messing up on a name.

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition

Nachshon

• Clonejack
« Reply #72 on: 28 Jun 2011, 10:13 »

The name Nachshon Aminadav comes from the Bible. Nachshon, son of Aminadav, was the captain of the tribe of Judah (Numbers 1:3). I had been translating that section in school (I went to a Jewish high school), and the name stuck in my head.

Perramas

• Clonejack
« Reply #73 on: 28 Jun 2011, 11:03 »

I have used the name Perramas for years through many table top games, online games and forums. I was combing different sounds in my head and came up with per-Ra-mas and I liked it and have been using it for decades.  At the time I really had no idea that the Spanish word perra meant female dog(bitch) and mas was more.

Rova053

• Clonejack
« Reply #74 on: 27 Aug 2011, 10:55 »

Well, my new guy is simple.

Gaston Leroux wrote Phantom of the Opera, and the Phantom's name was Erik.

Phantom of the Opera, written by Leroux, is now in public domain, so I decided to have some fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9