Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Naqam (A Sansha aligned capsuleer corporation) manufactured the Naqam Heavy Bioindustries Ultra Happy Chip™? It was player created - see advertisements on the Eve Wiki!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Character names: History, reasons, etc.  (Read 87539 times)

Lex Steel

• Clonejack
Re: Character names: History, reasons, etc.
« Reply #45 on: 07 Dec 2010, 12:41 »

Let me know how that petition works out. To my knowledge, they've never done so for any reason other than policy violations.

Google lex steel... Wait.. no, dont.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 07 Dec 2010, 14:05 »

Istvaan - From warhammer 40k, the first planet to fall during the Horus Heresy. Shogaatsu = some kind of Japanese spring festival, I think. Might be spelled with one a.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #47 on: 07 Dec 2010, 15:54 »

No idea where I got my name from.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #48 on: 07 Dec 2010, 17:05 »

Perhaps it was the lyrics of the Tash-Murkonite performance artist Iskbillionaire?

They see me grae-lyn
They hatin
Roamin they tryin to point me flyin dirty
Tryin to point me flyin dirty
My armor so think
I'm tankin
They hopin that they gon catch me flyin dirty

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #49 on: 07 Dec 2010, 22:19 »

Perhaps it was the lyrics of the Tash-Murkonite performance artist Iskbillionaire?

They see me grae-lyn
They hatin
Roamin they tryin to point me flyin dirty
My armor so think
I'm tankin
They hopin that they gon catch me flyin dirty

Ken, I love you.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #50 on: 08 Dec 2010, 01:41 »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #51 on: 08 Dec 2010, 15:54 »

A name I produced out of no where for one of my characters in the table top RPG Vampire the Masquerade.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 08 Dec 2010, 17:01 »

Istvaan - From warhammer 40k, the first planet to fall during the Horus Heresy. Shogaatsu = some kind of Japanese spring festival, I think. Might be spelled with one a.

I laughed reading the 40k RPG Dark Heresy.  The "Istvaanians" are a radical bunch of Inquisitors who believe non-stop violence, war and conflict are necessary and healthy for the Imperium to survive.  I figured you would approve.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #53 on: 08 Dec 2010, 18:42 »

I've had a few Character names in EVE...

Tuvar Hiede (was my original char) was a name I randomly made up while making sounds in my head, only afterwards did I realise it was close to "Tuvan" one of the Officer-Dropers... made me want to make a fully fit Tuvan's ship.. never did.

Math'ra Hiede (my current main) is a name I made to sound slightly oriental because of the race and I kept the surname, because its awesum. *nods*

Andrea Tander (Indy alt)... well I shamelessly stole Andrea from someone I went to school with, its not a common name and I liked it, Tander was just a bland generic filler name that I mulled over for about 5 minutes.

Durtha U'tgarde (PvP/Bitch alt) Well, Durtha was my pirate and the name sorta was forumulated the same was as any of mine, with messing around with sounds to make it cool, U'tgarde I chose because I liked the sound of it and for the goddamn life of me couldnt remember where it came from.
Only after watching my brother play WoW again did I realise it was the name of a certain area in WoW, much facepalming was had but meh, I like the name!

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #54 on: 04 Jan 2011, 06:34 »

Dos Tu Mai was a nickname my Grandfather used to call me, it means 'naughty girl' and I've used it for years on MUDs, MMOs and paper-based RPGs.
Dossie was a later, shortened pet name people started calling me, or just Dos.

Kielle... The details are foggy on that. My mother claims to have made it up, but I'm sure it was me. We used it back in '94 for a Guild name on a Chinese MUD and it's just carried on from there. All of my family use the Kielle surname in games.

Other names I've been known by:
MiSahiya - My Spring Flower
ChibiKielle - Small/Little Kielle
UsagiKielle - BUNNEH Kielle
Myobu Mamori - White wind Healer
Xiao Wei Tian - My Chinese name
Xiao chen - Nevermind...
And way more than I can be bothered to list...
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2011, 06:39 by DosTuMai »
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
  • Enlightening a Slave near you
« Reply #55 on: 12 Jan 2011, 14:41 »

I had seen Kazuma in some of the anime that I had watch, and liked the name so I choose it. Ry, I had thought it sounded Asian so I picked it.

When I googled the meaning of the 2, Kazuma means True Harmony, Self-control in japanese, and Ry means Valiant in Irish
"White as the falling snow. Black as our Citadels burned against the sky."

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #56 on: 14 Jan 2011, 14:02 »

I'm sure I posted something about it on Chatsubo, but I'll do it again (what happened to Chatsubo, anyways?)

A friend of mine convinced me to try Eve.  I figured "It looks okay, I'll probably play for a month or two", so I didn't give the name much thought.  I was leaning Japanese at the time, so I had Japanese names on the brain.  Shin was originally supposed to be a smuggler*, and a shintoko is a kind of basket, so I figured that would be a good "lol" sort of name.  Akahoshi means "red star", which just sounded cool.  I later worked out a bizarre story with Ly'sol where Shin's people spoke some odd variant of a Tierijevi dialect that sounded kind of like Hawaiian, and that the first good translaters for it were Achura, so they Achura-ized the names.  The things you do to work around a bad name choice...

Dakki, on the other hand, was just for fun.  "Dakki the Intaki".  Heh.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #57 on: 14 Jan 2011, 15:22 »

Tierijev!  :D
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #58 on: 06 Mar 2011, 10:01 »

The name pre-dates my involvement in RP. I don't remember where Baxter comes from, because it was so long ago, but "Cmdr" was influenced by my debate (at that time) over whether to enlist in the US Navy (I later did). It only became problematic after I got involved in RP. When I was with CAIN I only made the rank of LTJG, but do you know how annoying it is to constantly be correcting people in RP chat with "no I'm actually a retired LTJG, not a commander"? Eventually I got so sick of correcting people left, right, and center that I just retcon'd it through Hub.

I'm tempted every once in a while to petition CCP to let me change the name to something more RP-sounding, but so many people know me now as "Cmdr Baxter" that it probably isn't worth the effort.

Also I was told tonight that there's a "Samuel Baxter" char running around? Not my alt.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 00:11 by Cmdr Baxter »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #59 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:18 »

From the famous actor.

No actually I had to be pointed out that the name was close to the actor's name to notice it.

I just wanted a quite common first name, but yet a little aristocratic or old, with a simple and fonctionnal last name, but again that could be associated with a Holder status (if at the creation I had no clue of what was a Holder or if I wanted to see my character to be one).
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2013, 06:41 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9