Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [Character] Aria Jenneth  (Read 15724 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: [Character] Aria Jenneth
« Reply #30 on: 16 Feb 2015, 22:38 »

This is practice for me: I'm way too wordy.

... I know the feeling. Sorry for clogging your thread with syllables. <.<

If I do it right, "new Aria's" writing should be simple, easily understood, and dense. If I do it wrong, it'll look like a bunch of simplistic nonsense that makes no sense anyway.

It looks fine so far to me. :)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 16 Feb 2015, 22:46 »

... I know the feeling. Sorry for clogging your thread with syllables. <.<

As someone who once wrote a novel my test audience, a long-suffering fellow English major, needed a dictionary to get through, I'm really not one to throw stones.

It's worth working on if you've a mind to, though. One thing I've learned is that my character's language influences my own, and there are real limits on the usefulness of flowery speech.

(Being able to do it is great. Doing it all the time, not so much.)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:52 »

I used to do walls of text before I met Jade. I stopped afterwards  :lol:

I only do it if it really is necessary. Getting to the point with a concise answer works best in terms of impact imo.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:09 »

I only do it if it really is necessary. Getting to the point with a concise answer works best in terms of impact imo.

Funny. I actually developed Aria's "combat style" to meet Jade on the field of battle.

It worked well enough that Star Fraction accused me of trying to destroy them. Which was, in fairness, true, except that I did not have (as they alleged) direct backing from the Omerta Syndicate brass.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:18 »

I found it interesting that Aria wound up echoing some of the exact sentiments that Jennifer had/has.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 17 Feb 2015, 14:21 »

Funny. I actually developed Aria's "combat style" to meet Jade on the field of battle.

It worked well enough that Star Fraction accused me of trying to destroy them. Which was, in fairness, true, except that I did not have (as they alleged) direct backing from the Omerta Syndicate brass.

Even if I want to do a lengthy word count post at times, it's just too time consuming IRL...

The more and more synthetized/calculated versions that my character started to use pretty heavily on the IGS was actually a huge benefit on a lot of points, tactically :

- The more words you write, the more people will try to cut off your sentences and take the bits that they want to twist them into what is convenient for them. Generally, it's the best way for people to put words in your mouth, use strawmen and blanket statements, or deform the true meaning of your post. You then have to correct them on that, and it's not always successful : the harm is done.

- The less you write, the more people are unable to have a clear view of your view or opinion. Either it makes them more cautious and so, less aggressive (which the IGS has plenty of it), or when they are dumb enough they fall directly into the first trap. You just have to rip the fruit of their mistake/ignorance afterwards. Always better than having to painfully correct point by point in pyramidal quotes.

- Fits more to the character. She can be a great lecturer, but generally timidity and over social cautiousness makes her very greedy on word count.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #36 on: 17 Feb 2015, 17:41 »

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5499455#post5499455

In regards to this post, and to avoid linking stuff OOC on IGS, it did change, Aria. PF now says that jump clones are burn scans (last paragraph in that section).

And before I get trounced on by the people who hate this change, in my IC post I did specifically say 'most are burn scans' (rather than all) to account for players who prefer not to acknowledge it. I understand a lot of people are miffed by that change and I'd rather avoid more arguments on it.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2015, 17:43 by Samira Kernher »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #37 on: 17 Feb 2015, 17:55 »

I do in fact hate the change. Good thing I don't use jump clones so it doesn't matter.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 17 Feb 2015, 18:50 »

Hm. Guess they decided to make jump cloning that little touch more GrimDark (circle-R Tee Em).

Also, they've taken a more restrictive approach to it than I remember, as the article implicitly puts the kabosh on soft-cloning.

So be it.

Edit:

Wait a sec. This is nonsense.

Why would you have to train Infomorph Psychology to V just to have, essentially, five spare sets of implants you can clone into? It taking some training to move kinda freely among five bodies is one thing; burning each body to get into the next is another-- you can do that with no training at all. It's just more expensive over time.

Also, I cannot see anybody charging a flat fee for an unlimited supply of VERY SURGERY-INTENSIVE clones.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2015, 18:58 by Aria Jenneth »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 17 Feb 2015, 19:06 »

Eh. Whatever. Apparently from the capsuleer's viewpoint, it really is the same body, so it probably makes as much sense as the original version did.

It's disappointing that they opted to take the most boring approach to multiple-copy syndrome, if understandable, I suppose. It's sort of a can of worms. What's the community's feeling on this?

(Of course, there's also the fun gap that they foolishly left out: there's nothing here at all explaining whether you can have a second receiving station, or any reason why you couldn't. If you can have a second receiving station, you can create a second copy and keep it on ice, in a medically-induced coma. It doesn't even have to be viable. If the original goes missing, you just copy it back.... Poof! Soft clone! BWAHAHAHA!)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #40 on: 17 Feb 2015, 19:31 »

Well, Infomorph Psychology is literally just that. Psychology. It's having the mental state to be able to handle that kind of thing. And like RL, to avoid people sueing them or whatsuch, they make BS psych requirements as roadblocks. Similar to the whole 'you must euthanize yourself to graduate capsule academy' thing introduced with Source, it's a psych requirement to prove you've got the mental state to handle it. There's no physical requirement, it's an enforced roadblock to prevent people from doing things they may not be mentally equipped to handle.

I'd say our posts on the forums are a good representation of the levels of it. Sami doesn't even have Infomorph Psychology trained. Aria meanwhile is able to rationalize it to herself even in spite of not having her memories, hence rating as a 5.

As for my feeling on it? I like it. I felt the old method tended to result in some really silly loopholes and for me took away a lot of the complexities of the cloning issue (I can save my original body by jump cloning! I can keep my pregnant body in stasis while gallavanting around in combat without fear! Etc). For me, the whole 'every scan is a hardscan' keeps things neat and tidy.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 17 Feb 2015, 20:08 »

Neat, tidy-- and maybe a bit awkward for any female capsuleers who happen to get pregnant.

I don't suppose CCP's magic book contains any reference to artificial wombs, in the style of the ones from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga? Otherwise, you're likely to be looking for an abortion or taking a nine-month vacation (if the idea of your clone dying with incipient baby on board bothers you, anyway).

Maybe New Eden just has really good, reliable birth control.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #42 on: 17 Feb 2015, 20:17 »

Neat, tidy-- and maybe a bit awkward for any female capsuleers who happen to get pregnant.

I don't suppose CCP's magic book contains any reference to artificial wombs, in the style of the ones from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga? Otherwise, you're likely to be looking for an abortion or taking a nine-month vacation (if the idea of your clone dying with incipient baby on board bothers you, anyway).

Maybe New Eden just has really good, reliable birth control.

Well, you could be like Mitara and keep piloting in spite of it and just rely on avoiding cloning (she's been successful two times, failed the third though). It is very easy to avoid cloning even as a combat pilot so long as you avoid nullsec/wormholes and be very careful about traveling in low sec to avoid smartbombers. Or you could avoid combat. Or you could surrogate. Surrogate is probably the simplest answer and I don't know why more people don't consider it.

As far as birth control goes, I would expect it does have pretty reliable methods.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2015, 20:19 by Samira Kernher »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 17 Feb 2015, 20:23 »

Ah-- yes. There's also a bit of old quasi-canon: the option of acquiring a clone without eggs.

Originally figured that would be the standard. Then I bounced it off my wife, which resulted in her politely explaining to me that, while sensible, that should be an option, not the default.

Sometimes the "guy perspective" creeps in in places I don't expect it.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #44 on: 17 Feb 2015, 20:34 »

Ah-- yes. There's also a bit of old quasi-canon: the option of acquiring a clone without eggs.

Originally figured that would be the standard. Then I bounced it off my wife, which resulted in her politely explaining to me that, while sensible, that should be an option, not the default.

Sometimes the "guy perspective" creeps in in places I don't expect it.

Clones have all the proper parts and capabilities by default. But they can choose to get them removed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5