Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Author Topic: mixed blood Matar  (Read 1254 times)

Urthel_Drengist

• Clonejack
mixed blood Matar
« on: 19 Apr 2017, 14:04 »

I am thinking of making a mixed blood Matar(I ve been away for ages so I dont feel a connection with my main so...) with a twist on the racial appearance but of citizenship Minmatar.

Question: Would it be more appropriate to make the new character an Amarr or Gallente for this case? I mean if I wont make him a clear cut Matar, the influences on race should be evident by making him Amarr ? Or maybe a Gallente since lorewise everytime there is a bulk of mixed blood the lore justifies the appearance?

I am not familiar a lot with Minmatar dos and donts RP wise, although I understand anyone can alter some stuff as much as they can, within the limits, but I want to ask your opinion from a purist standpoint.

PS1
Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help out

PS2

I am just trying to opt for the maximum effect...as in what would make the MOST sense. I mean granted I could make whatever I want in matters of race and bend sort of the story the way I want to. But I just want to RP to the effect where it could make sense by respecting also the lore. Because being free to do what one pleases, I feel sort is like spitting on the one who created the lore.

PS3
I am not totally aware if this is the place for this kind of thread so i apologize beforehand if I should have placed this somewhere else.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Re: mixed blood Matar
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2017, 15:39 »

That all sounds fine to me. If you play an ostensibly Amarr character then you're likely to get the most IC push back from Minmatar characters who are more traditional in outlook. This is not to say you'd be doing anything wrong, just a consequence of IC politics.

Also bear in mind the more progressive clans will adopt people with no Minmatar genetics who show sufficient commitment to the clan.

Arnulf is mixed himself, only he's mixed Sebiestor/Brutor.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Urthel_Drengist

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2017, 15:48 »

That all sounds fine to me. If you play an ostensibly Amarr character then you're likely to get the most IC push back from Minmatar characters who are more traditional in outlook. This is not to say you'd be doing anything wrong, just a consequence of IC politics.

Also bear in mind the more progressive clans will adopt people with no Minmatar genetics who show sufficient commitment to the clan.

Arnulf is mixed himself, only he's mixed Sebiestor/Brutor.

Hey thanks for the answer, means a lot. Do you think though a better choice would be Amarr or Gallente race wise? I havent figured how to think of this as I believe race to be a rather social construct. Generations and faded genetics= Gallente? Amarr just to prove how deep Amarr have left their stain on the Minmatar?

What you think?

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
  • Causing Trouble As Best I Can!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2017, 16:15 »

It's easy to go down the Amarr/Gallente path because they border the Republic.

However the Challenge is of exactly what parentage the kid is and how it got to be. For example My own character has sired Amarr/Jin-Mei  children which is the result of donor parents.

Urthel_Drengist

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2017, 16:30 »

It's easy to go down the Amarr/Gallente path because they border the Republic.

However the Challenge is of exactly what parentage the kid is and how it got to be. For example My own character has sired Amarr/Jin-Mei  children which is the result of donor parents.

Thank you for your time to answer.

So in essence, one of them being Minmatar for sure, if the other parent was Amarr then i must make the character Amarr and the same goes for Gallente you say?

However this is where I am getting confused because I ve thought of the parents situation. If you read below it basically states that the ethnic Gallente have no apparent distinction and however else is simply a Gallente citizen, gets to be called Gallente. What I am getting at from this(correct me if I am wrong) is that basically the lore is stating that if one wants to make a rather very mixed character, he should go with Gallente, despite if he comes from a Gallente parent or not. I could understand these points wrong though.

( http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Demographics_of_the_Gallente_Federation#Minmatar and http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Ethnic_Gallente)

Ethnic Gallente
For all intents and purposes, citizens who identify as ethnic Gallente are individuals who may be able to trace at least parts of their ancestry to the indigenous races of Gallente Prime. Estimates put these individuals to number around 30-35% of the Federation’s total population. However, citizens who simply call themselves as Gallente only without addressing their ethnic origin are also included in this figure. They are generally perceived to be the spiritual leaders of the Federation, despite the fact they can not be considered a single political or cultural unit.

Appearance

The ethnic Gallente bear very little resemblance to their historical predecessors who came before the days of modern spaceflight. They are a mixed race, their appearance varying moreso than any other major bloodline in New Eden, having intermingled with the vast amount of immigrants that flock to the Federation[2], diluting their racial makeup further (even someone who identifies as an ethnic Gallente may actually have a True Amarr parent).
Even the self-titled original descendants (those who are able to trace the genetic contributions of both of their parents to the Luminaire homeworld) among the ethnic Gallente are still a mixed race. Unlike the Deteis and Civire, True Amarr and Khanid, and the Minmatar races, the different ethnicities of Gallente Prime did not retain their racial distinctiveness into the spacefaring era. This extreme genetic diversity allowed the ethnic Gallente to not be limited by a world’s climate or ecology in colonization, permitting them to expand relatively rapidly compared to other races. A strong immune system and resistance to disease also helped this.

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2017, 13:12 »

The real question is how your character identifies with.

As with the passage about the Gallente we are still talking about how they were were raised.

A good example would be Ammatar. Genectically most of are Minmatar bloodlines, but they have forsworn their connection to the tribes of the Republic and have been fully immersed as Amarr. As far as the Empire is concerned they are Amarrian citizens (though under Amarr governor). There are Ammatar Holders though the vast majority of them are Commoners.

That's to give you an idea.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2017, 07:50 »

In terms of making the character, choose the bloodline which you think will have options that can be used to look like a mix. I would suggest making the character with a minmatar bloodline in game and then clarifying their heritage in your character bio. I know of several Minmatar characters who are 50% or 25% Amarr or Ni-Kunni, and they made their character as a Minmatar bloodline in game. Making your in-game bloodline Minmatar, gives you the automatic benefit of your character being from one of the Minmatar schools and thus backing up their claim to being a Republic citizen in spite of mixed-heritage.

You can do some tweaks to try and emulate features from the other bloodline as best as possible.  It also gives you all the minmatar visual options in character generator. You won't be able to get cool minmatar facial tattoos on an Amarrian character, however you can try and tweak a minmatar character's cheekbones to look more like Amarrian appearance. Ultimately what you are doing will come down to RP so I'm sure you could pull whatever combination off that you wish.

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2017, 13:11 »

That arguement can also be used for Gallente of mixed heritage as well.  :D

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2017, 09:20 »

That's true, I'm just more familiar with the Amarr and Minmatar character creation options. There isn't too much overlap between the two. Ultimately good RP will make any choice work.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2017, 12:47 »

As a quick aside on this, CCP many years ago demonstrated that there could be mixed-heritage capsuleers in the character creator.  I still wait for the day when that's actually implemented in-game, but I'm not holding my breath on it anytime soon.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2017, 06:13 »

As I understand it you want to create an Amarr of Gallente character and have some Minmatar ancestry as part of the background.

A Gallente character of this sort should be easy enough to figure out. I'm sure there are places and groups in the Fed that would make life difficult for them but, equally, there would be places where it wouldn't be considered important.

An Imperial would, in my opinion, most likely be from the mandate. What would be interesting would be figuring out how such a person would get backing to be trained as a capsuleer given how racially charged Imperial ideology is.

Either way the character would find a marked difference between the culture they'd been raised in and Matari society, either in the Republic or elsewhere in the diaspora.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.