Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Inheritance" and "One mind, one body"  (Read 3288 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
"Inheritance" and "One mind, one body"
« on: 13 Dec 2016, 12:25 »

So the "one mind one body" thing from Inheritance is effectively a game mechanic as well (you can't have multiple clones of the same character active).

I'm trying to work out the right question to ask here. What I really want to know is whether this is something we know ICly (perhaps the Jove told us), or whether it's legit speculation for characters. I remember writing some terribad fanfic a few years back about "integration" when bringing multiple clones back together.

Honestly, that's probably not quite the right question. I'm just thinking about all this as I start to look back at stuff I RPed about before - cybernetics, being an infomorph, etc etc., and where to find an entrance point to RP again without going all into Drifter research or WE COME FOR OUR PEOPLE.

we do though

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
Re: "Inheritance" and "One mind, one body"
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2016, 13:02 »

This is actually something that Saede played with a bit (or flat out rejected as a limit, I'm not sure which)

I know that in Origin we've just sort of magiced a way around this with "Science and hacking" to allow for multiplying but at the cost of only being allowed one clone in k-space at a time and the opportunity for amusing antics of an overstressed multiple. I think the idea is that only the primary clone has the bandwidth to capsuleer but you may need to get Saede to weigh in more on how she envisioned that in response to Inheritance.
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2016, 13:18 »

ICly it is treated as something that is scientifically possible but limited by very strict regulations from CONCORD forbidding multiple active clones of the same individual. There has been some indication that some people get around this by alternative personas (in other words, alts), including the fact that King Khanid has multiple active clones of himself (two of them talking face to face during the recent Shathol'Syn).

If you're talking about the different clones all having access to each other's perceptions at the same time, in a one mind multiple bodies scenario, that's a bit more farfetched. More doable with Sleeper technology perhaps (as DUST clones are linked up to a central database that houses their core consciousness which they continually update from the sleeper implant that takes up a majority of their cranial cavity, though unable to be done at ranges beyond planetary).

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2016, 13:54 »

In EVE: True Stories they called them (alts) - "jump clones" for some reason.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2016, 14:11 »

Sure, but True Stories was trying to capture some decidedly OOC mechanics and do so in a way that made sense to non-EVE players. It's a great read and I love having it but I don't know how much of it can apply in RP.

Although making a bunch of alts as " jump clones" of Casi is almost a good idea. Especially if we go all transhumanist and disregard genders and even bloodlines...

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2016, 15:22 »

Doesn't the Empyrean Age have a character who changes between entire personas (bodies)?
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2016, 15:26 »

Doesn't the Empyrean Age have a character who changes between entire personas (bodies)?

The Broker, yes. But he is definitely an edge case. Also, for some weird reason, he has a disease that follows him from clone to clone. It's why he's trying to gain control of the Insorum stocks. I mean, how does that work.

Tony G plots, go figure!
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2016, 16:10 »

LolTonyG... seemed like a nice guy but when it came to working with his PF... :psyccp:

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2016, 08:03 »

I like to think that my RP is flexible but yeah, having conflicting PF is pretty much a given. Sometimes I think starting Sunswept was like walking blindfolded into a minefield but hey, hopefully I can avoid any TonyG-like eddies. Haven't gotten any feedback on it yet so I guess it's not too tragic? *shrug*
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2016, 08:51 »

So I got some feedback last night that several players RP as multiples in various ways. It seems like the community's view on this is not nearly as settled as I'd imagined.

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2016, 10:13 »

That might imply that the community was settled on anything...
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2016, 10:28 »

The litmus test is basically "can you sell it to the people whose opinions you care about."
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2016, 11:11 »

Xepharious: Sure, but some things are more widely accepted than others.

Jev: I tend to agree, but when it's more in the direction of RPing that something isn't possible and a bunch of folks are "well no I pretend that it is anyway", it leads me to a bit of a rethink.

For extra clarity: not suggesting anyone else is wrong. Thinking about how I want to roll for my own characters but this is not in any way reflective of what other people should somehow feel constrained by. I personally like to stay well within the bounds of PF and not edge up to the boundaries, that's all.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2016, 12:17 »

I play as a multiple, yes. I don't have multiple versions of Saede as pod pilots, because its a bit of a pain in the ass to pull that off well, and I really don't multibox enough to warrant that sort of thing.

I roleplay it as follows: Saede has seven clones. One of them is the 'toy' clone that's mostly cybernetic that everyone sees all the time. Two is a 50/50 biological/synthetic clone with as many military grade implants as could be crammed into it. Three is a withered husk of a nervous system that never leaves the pod, and four through seven are basic organic clones with a few utility implants.

All these clones are connected together in real time by a network architecture similar to that used by Sansha's nation to create a gestalt consciousness out of all of the active clones.

Of course, even if the above premise is considered an acceptable one, and I personally don't consider it a steep departure from the lore, there's still the matter of it being highly illegal.

I personally take the opinion that CONCORD are not omnipotent, and banning a player OOC does not act as a proxy for CONCORD being able to reach in the pod and have full control over us, but that's what a lot of the root issues boil down to. We say 'we're in wormhole space, CONCORD can't stop us' and other players go 'yes they can, stop being bads', and that's essentially the root of the entire disagreement.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Xepharious

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2016, 12:18 »

Casiella; TOOOTALY respect that. And yes, you are right, I was being melodramatic about it.

You are welcome to use any of our resource material on it, and I do play with it in Sunswept so reference if ya like. CONCORD generally couldn't allow it (cause game mechanic) but as long as you had a plausible way around that (i.e. WH) then I say go for it! The RP potential is all sorts of amusing.
Xepharious
alexylva.webnode.com
Pages: [1] 2