Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A question about 'everyday' slavery life in Amarr  (Read 2918 times)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
Re: A question about 'everyday' slavery life in Amarr
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2016, 22:07 »

Here's a little blurb I haven't yet written anywhere.

Clan Egivand's pre-Rebellion history was as such. The Clan is made out of former slaves of one Holder who had planetside and orbital assets. One of the Clan's big quarrel against said Holder was that when the Holder was branching out into space industries, one of the things he did was sell off slaves he didn't need to other Holders to build capital, all of whom are members of families that would eventually come together under the leadership of one 'Elder Egivand'. This whole 'families split up and being sold off' deal was one of the many things that precipitated the local rebellion (Also one of the most important ones too. Families growing apart to do work for corporations that do not quite care about their well-being was a factor that led to the Clan deciding to move out of Republic space).

That was my point against slavery. Not to say 'selling non-vital slaves' is the norm in the Amarr Empire, but the slavery system allows for such a thing to happen, I believe. That would be one of the dark sides of Imperial Slavery system.

« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2016, 22:11 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 02 Sep 2016, 15:46 »

I'll add my $0.02 if you'd like.  I'm still navigating Mit's motives and feelings about slaves so it's not rock solid yet and at times may contradict itself -

Her goal is to enlighten her slaves and not about cheap labor. Being stupidly rich(by baseliner standards) gives her some freedom to embrace this more than other less well off Holders may be able to.  It is a directive from God to bring His Word to the heathens so she's going to do it, whether they like it or not :)

Mit doesn't have any problems with hard labor and demeaning slaves, she views it like how the military tends to tear a person down to be rebuilt they way they want -

"Only through many hardships
Is a man stripped to his very foundations
And in such a state
Devoid of distractions
Is his soul free to soar
And in this
He is closest to God"
- The Scriptures, Book of Missions 42:5

When it comes to slaves being property, Mit doesn't have any issue with that, it's just the way it is.  She's not going to treat her property badly, and they have a purpose - to become enlighted beings, but she's not above pressing her rights and stripping away any granted agency if needed.

There is a bit of racist streak in Mit, so no matter what, a vast majority of her slaves would always be beneath her on racial traits alone and she will treat them accordingly.

In her stocks she has slaves doing all manner of work, from lowly manual labor to incredibly personal and trusted tasks.

« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2016, 16:30 by Mitara Newelle »
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 03 Sep 2016, 00:22 »

There is a bit of racist steak in Mit.

zomg, what restaurant did you go to ? :O
\o/

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 04 Sep 2016, 02:54 »

Sorry for the late reply to this, I haven't been around much recently.

As someone that has been RPing a former slave character myself, I've tended to treat slavery as per Chained to the Sky. That is, slaves as just the working class laborers for the Amarr. More "free" than what one traditionally considers a slave by the simple fact that when 50% of your society is slaves and they fill the vast majority of blue collar jobs we see in real life, you have to get your mind away from the highly isolated plantation/single estate idea of slavery because it just doesn't work in a heavily populated and technologically advanced society. While plantations and work camps and the like do absolutely exist in Amarr I tend to equate them with lower generation slaves, 1st or 2nd generation, who still have to be 'broken in'. Once they've become sufficiently indoctrinated and integrated into society, the standard of living and freedoms goes up (it's gradually increasing the level of rewards for productive and obedient service, while also reducing the costs of Holder by not having to micromanage as much and engaging slaves in the economy). By the higher generations, you're probably a slave only really in name. Chained to the Sky at least shows them choosing to walk about on their own, go to a bar (that's frequented by commoners as well), order and pay for their own food, etc. And EVE Source talks about even miner slaves getting vacation times which includes unsupervised visits to a nearby major city.

So, how I've RPed it with my slave's background, as a very high generation slave (12 or 13 or so) is that her family had their own (small) house, in a slave/commoner district, with good education, typical working hours (if long, and working even during youth), and a limited form of currency (limited in that it can only be used on "approved" purchases, like food and basic home supplies and personal possessions, rather than anything you want) and ability to shop in normal stores. Still limited choice in the type of education and occupations, as that'd all be based on the needs of the Holder and somewhat by the skillset of the slave.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 07 Sep 2016, 15:56 »

I meant to get into the generational aspect but forgot, Sami pretty much mirrors my thoughts though.  The newer(generationally speaking) the slave, the less free they are and the more shit jobs they have, the older have more freedom and less back breaking work.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 12 Sep 2016, 05:43 »

Slave education is also an interesting factor to take into account, as their jobs and training methods can be selected and applied since before birth. Selective breeding, indoctrination methods, and focused training need not only apply to Kamieras; you can apply it to make scientist slaves, artisan slaves, lawyer slaves, doctor slaves, ect. Just about any profession you could think of could be filled by a specialized slave, excepting any job that wields real power and authority, so no slave governors or generals. Chances are they'll be really good at those jobs too, though loyalty is an issue since the smarter a slave is the more likely they are figure out ways to rebel, escape or just get out of work.

PF does often mention that the status of slaves and commoners can be really close, with some slaves having more comfortable and accomplished lives than poorer freemen. They just don't get credit or influential wealth for any of their accomplishments, with their motivation coming from the threat of their quality of life being downgraded by their owner.
Pages: 1 [2]