Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Author Topic: Amarr Body Modifications  (Read 1428 times)

Velarra

• Wetgraver
  • Angel
    • DED Profile
Amarr Body Modifications
« on: 21 Aug 2016, 17:12 »

Where would one find the eve lore reference to the Amarr appreciation for age and its entropic impact on the human body? Or simply, appearing older, and in particular, much older? Where Amarr youth may go out of their way to grey their hair, add wrinkles and other signs of serious aging?

Is it in a chronicle? Wiki section? Something in-game?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Amarr Body Modifications
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 23:35 »

https://community.eveonline.com/backstory/short-stories/catch-of-the-day/

“Governor Sed-Innad, you’re looking older than ever.” Naine jumped at the words, fearing the Amarrian would flare up at the insult. But when the older Amarrian just smiled he remembered that to the Amarrians looking old was a sign of maturity and stature. The younger Amarrian, probably still in his twenties, had even made obvious efforts to make himself look older than he actually was, thinning his hair and painting his face pale and gaunt. The older Amarrian, the one Gaspar had addressed as governor, was at least a century old. The two shook hands, they undoubtedly knew each other well.

might be something else in eve source or somewhere
\o/

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2016, 08:31 »

I don't think it's the entropic impact that's appreciated but as in the quote Louella has given, the ,aturity and stature that come with age which amarr appreciate.

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:15 »

As age is considered a sign of power and importance in men among many Amarr, Ni-Kunni frequently go through lengths to make themselves appear older. Many color their hair gray and use cosmetics to add wrinkles and lines to their face.
from Ni-Kunni wiki page

PS
Certain Ni-Kunni holder should color his hair gray, just saying. ;P

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2016, 09:52 »

I also note the following with emphasis "As age is considered a sign of power and importance in men among many Amarr". I have never viewed there to be RP imperative for Amarr women to appear like withered crones (even if age is of a benefit).  Empress Jamyl remained quite beautiful looking in her official portraits despite her age.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2016, 16:44 »

Appearing older ‘may’ well be a sign of status, and some may go so some lengths to appear older than they are.  Having said that it’s the why that’s important, I think. 

Elders are respected and considered wise.  I wonder what those very elders think about them being done. 

Considering the… I know were not supposed to use Amarrian… but Amarrian mindset
regarding such. 

If I were an elder Amarr Holder I might well think cosmetic changes among the young foolish and shallow, if not downright sin full ‘)

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2016, 21:24 »

Nico considers to use cosmetics to appear older as being vain and shallow. the true benefits of age come with time, not with artifical wrinkles and an grey colouring of hair.

But yah...

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 04 Sep 2016, 03:06 »

It should also be noted that there's a difference between appearing older and appearing decrepit and ugly. Amarr are not trying to look ugly. They're trying to look aged. So I absolutely do think it's something that's favored by both men and women. It's not about 'trying to look like a shriveled crone'. It's about looking distinguished, intelligent, wise, experienced. And if you go too far in that attempt, like trying to jump decades above your actual age, you just make yourself look fake. Like with older people trying too hard to look younger, if you don't handle it right it makes you look worse instead of better. It's all about how you do it. Makeup and such is done to supplement your look, not replace it. Whether that's making yourself look a bit younger, or making yourself a bit older, it should be subtle and natural.

Samira tries to make herself look and seem older. She also tries to make herself look attractive and beautiful. The two are not mutually exclusive... and in Samira's mind, as an Amarr, they are one and the same.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2016, 03:08 by Samira Kernher »