Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question on lore  (Read 4679 times)

Cory Za

• Clonejack
Question on lore
« on: 09 Jun 2016, 22:34 »

Hi All

I am new to eve and eve RP, only half way through the chronicles and have read some fiction to try and catch up with the community. I did do a half attempt post on the game site but removed it. Thanks for the advise on non lore things I had included.  I have since 're-sculpted' my char to allow better possibilities.

I do have some question that I have not found a doc on as yet.

Question#  is there a minimum age pilots get accepted to do the capsule training as the chronicles only mention that they do and not when.

quote from one of the chronicles:
“Not just anybody can become a capsuleer. Captains need special kind of neural riggings and the training is extremely rigorous and taxing, with only a small fraction of students actually making it through. This makes able capsuleers a unique breed that possesses special status within society.”

Lore Check# Fedos:  they are every station to clean ships, or only select few stations.

Thanks
Cory  :D

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Question on lore
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2016, 22:56 »

Minimum age: Early 20's, essentially. While less is possible for geniuses or fast track programs (like Caldari may have), the majority of capsuleers are going to be in their mid 20's at earliest as an upper education degree is required to be accepted. So, most capsuleers have to be university graduates at the least, which puts a soft age limit of early to mid 20's.

Capsule training then takes about 5 years, so newly-certified capsuleers should typically be in their late 20's at minimum.

Fedos: Not every station has them. Some stations may be more likely to use drones instead, and some might use manual labor. However a significant number of them do likely use fedos, it's fairly common.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2016, 23:27 »

I generally assume it takes 4 years to go through all the training if you do college/capsuleer training as one combined thing. You graduate from college as a capsuleer, basically. So I figure average rookie pilot age is probably 22-24, with the possibility of younger pilots existing via some sort of fast track program through their governments, probably military. Of course its also possible for them to be older if the capsule compatibility is discovered later in life.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2016, 00:09 »

I generally assume it takes 4 years to go through all the training if you do college/capsuleer training as one combined thing. You graduate from college as a capsuleer, basically. So I figure average rookie pilot age is probably 22-24, with the possibility of younger pilots existing via some sort of fast track program through their governments, probably military. Of course its also possible for them to be older if the capsule compatibility is discovered later in life.

Dual university+capsule programs is a likely possibility but not the norm. Based on how capsule screening and training is described, it can be seen like modern military officer training. Officers similarly require having a bachelor's degree to start with, though some also offer a ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) program where you continue attending a civilian university while doing officer training on weekends and summers and with additional courses on top of your regular civilian ones. A rather heavy workload.

Considering how the standard "already have my degree" process is 5 years on its own, I'd imagine a dual university-capsule program would take 6-7 years (similar time to RL ROTC + Aviator training). 4 is too little outside of highly accelerated exceptions (as I said above I would presume Caldari programs to be the ones most likely to use these, since due to the way Caldari upbringing works prospective capsule pilots are likely identified early in life and raised towards that purpose.)

Quote from: EVE Source
Pod pilot candidates are a rare breed. Only 14 percent of all those who apply are able to make it past prescreening into basic training, and only around 5 percent of those make it through the entire program and go on to become capsuleers. Prospective candidates must satisfy a broad range of criteria, including but not limited to: 20/20 vision, perfect hearing, blood pressure within a highly limited range, peak physical conditioning (able to run at least 60 kilometers without pause), a complete genome profile that excludes any possibility of genetic defects or hereditary disease, ninety-eigth percentile intelligence, a degree in a sufficiently advanced technical field, and, provided no grants or scholarships are in the picture, an enormous amount of money. Above all, the candidate must possess an ability to keep his mind working along several different tracks at once, giving full attention to all of them simultaneously.

Once past prescreening, a candidate is given a thorough grounding in capsule and cloning technology, as well as the specifics of what sets a capsule-fitted starship apart from a traditional, bridge-commanded vessel. He learns how to manage crews on varying sizes of ship, how to conduct basic maintenance, and myriad other tricks of the trade. The length of this book-learning phase varies between schools, though it is never less than one full year and very seldom more than two. The period culiminates in a six-hour-long oral exam, during which the candidate's depth of knowledge is assessed, as well as his ability to think on his feet and respond to unexpected sets of variables. Regardless of how well a candidate has been doing up until this point, if he does not convince his instructor beyond the shadow of a doubt that his knowledge is bulletproof, he will be failed out of the program and sent home.

Once the initial academic phase is over, a two-year period of grueling physical orientation begins. After being fitted with the requisite implants for capsule interfacing (and provided their bodies don't outright reject the implants), prospects are subjected to days upon end of deprivation tanks, zero-G environments, and shock simulations intended to acclimate the body and mind to the rigors of travel through warp tunnels and wormholes. This, by far, is the training phase where the largest proportion of candidates fail out of the program. Most of the ones that do simply cannot tolerate the constant barrage of physical pain and conditioning, interspersed with interminable periods of sensory deprivation. About to lose their sanity or patience or both, they sign their own termination slips. Some refuse to give up, but are not rewarded for their persistence: this phase of training has the highest mortality rate of the entire program. Exact numbers are not available, but it is estimated that roughly a tenth of all candidates lose their lives at some point in this phase.

For the few who manage to make it through orientation, the learning can begin in earnest. The last two years of the program are devoted exclusively to developing the skills needed to be an effective pilot, including hardpoint configuration, warp mechanics, shield system operation, signature analysis, astrometrics, and a host of associated skills. For the first of these two years, candidates will fly solely in simulations; for the second year, they are finally allowed to fly their first capsule-fitted frigates.

Once a candidate makes it through the entire five years of mental and physical hardship and exertion, he is ready to face the final test: in order to gain his certification and become a full-fledged capsuleer, he must submit to voluntary euthanasia, give up the body he was born in, and clone into a new version of himself, for the first time coming squarely face to face with death. Despite the prodigious investment of time and energy the preceding years have demanded, it's surprising to note how many candidates cannot make this final step, forgoing all they've learned because they can't bear to cross the Rubicon into posthumanity.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2016, 00:19 by Samira Kernher »

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:23 »

... final test: in order to gain his certification and become a full-fledged capsuleer, he must submit to voluntary euthanasia, give up the body he was born in, and clone into a new version of himself, for the first time coming squarely face to face with death ...
Heh, so euthanasia is mandatory.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:25 »

It might be now.

It wasn't always. Lot of us old farts either didn't have to do it or had a choice.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2016, 10:46 »

It's all a question which (state of) Lore you adhere to. Character creation still implies that you get your capsuleer training alongside academic training at one of the three academic institutions you can choose from. Dual university+capsule programs are then the norm.

Ofc. if you spend the extra monies for "EVE: Source", helping CCP in monetizing lore (Can you sense I don't like doing that?), then the picture is the one Samira is exposing.

Also, what Morwen said.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2016, 13:17 »

... final test: in order to gain his certification and become a full-fledged capsuleer, he must submit to voluntary euthanasia, give up the body he was born in, and clone into a new version of himself, for the first time coming squarely face to face with death ...
Heh, so euthanasia is mandatory.

It is now, yup. But didn't always used to be, and there's still exceptions (like with Amarr heirs).

Cory Za

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2016, 14:26 »

Thanks for the reply's,
I had no idea to the extent of the detail in the training and lore.
Its very in depth, but that's what makes the content so rich.

Sorry in advance when i do make errors, please let me know  :)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2016, 15:41 »

No worries, Cory. I hope it helped! Welcome to EVE roleplay, by the way!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2016, 18:40 »

Pmuch what Samira said.

I don't know who you are ingame, but seeing you going out of your way to do research and ask questions when you can't find info on something rather than pulling something ridiculous out of nowhere and running with it leaves me (and probably a fair few others) with a pretty good first impression. :)

Let us know if there's other questions we can help answer!
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2016, 08:44 »

You're welcome...backstage.
-OOChé

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:51 »

... there's still exceptions (like with Amarr heirs).
This is one I can't find any articles about.

Is it true that all royal heirs are capsuleers and if that's so, that would mean - if you are capsule incompatible you can't become head of a royal family or emperor no matter what?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2016, 00:14 »

... there's still exceptions (like with Amarr heirs).
This is one I can't find any articles about.

Is it true that all royal heirs are capsuleers and if that's so, that would mean - if you are capsule incompatible you can't become head of a royal family or emperor no matter what?

One very good example of royalty being a capsuleer in the Amarr Empire is the now-deceased Jamyl Sarum.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:46 »

The previous two sets of Heirs were all capsule-compatible, but they were not allowed to use the cloning system. It doesn't mean you can't become head/heir/emperor/whatever. That's down to the families and succession committees.

We don't know about the current set.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: [1] 2