Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 9848 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Re: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2016, 15:47 »

Oh, hello Vesper.

*Activates Darkmoon Blade.*

Utari Onzo

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2016, 16:13 »

Ok. I'll bite. I'll buy it this weekend when things calm down and give it a try. I'll likely not have a whole lot of time to devote to it, but if this many people are looking forward to it I guess I can give it a try. I've wasted money on worse.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2016, 16:26 »

Oh, hello Vesper.

*Activates Darkmoon Blade.*

Ave, Lord Newelle.

*Proper bow*

*raises Crest Shield and Chaos Blade*

Ok. I'll bite. I'll buy it this weekend when things calm down and give it a try. I'll likely not have a whole lot of time to devote to it, but if this many people are looking forward to it I guess I can give it a try. I've wasted money on worse.

Oh-- one note: if you're playing on PC, a console-style controller is to be considered mandatory. It technically works with KB/M, but that control method will make you hate life (and the game).

Utari Onzo

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2016, 16:32 »

sigh

I'm beginning to regret letting Aldy and Thal's excitement rub off on me already. Will a basic x-box controller do, unofficial ones? They're cheap enough. And will I literally want to break my head on a table configuring the controls going by the last few games?

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2016, 16:38 »

This should put a damper on your spirits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMU41taZJLw&nohtml5=False

"Challenging in the same way that breaking bricks with your flaccid penis is challenging."

And there's one for Bloodborne too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLsc-U8b4E8&nohtml5=False

"Suffer through another action RPG that's just as brutal as Dark Souls, because it basically is Dark Souls, but it isn't called Dark Souls, to trick people who hate Dark Souls, into trying out Dark Souls."

Utari Onzo

« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2016, 16:43 »

Thanks aldy, I can sleep easy knowing I'll be spending my money on plex instead.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2016, 16:53 »

To be absolutely fair, I play both Dark Souls with mouse and keyboard and I do fine. DS I needs some minor tweaking but it's fine for me.

And Aria, don't tell me you play as a Giant Dad. If you do I'll never let you live it down!
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2016, 16:57 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2016, 18:47 »

I do not.

DS1, I play as an SL 81 Dex fighter. Forget the precise breakdown.

PvP kit:

Left:
Crest Shield +5
Chaos Composite Short Bow +5, with poison and flaming arrows.

Right:
Chaos Blade +5 (Boss weapon [Quelag], second-longest katana, scales with Dex (B), also scales with HUM, erodes user's health on hit; decent reach and impact, high damage + bleed) (NOT a goddamn non-scaling weapon!)
Dark Hand (for funsies, AFK players [I lifedrain them, then depart, leaving them alive but short 10 HUM. I always wonder how many understand what happened], and that occasional moment when someone's blocking the damn rope bridge with a huge shield and standing there all smug).

Ring of Favor and Protection, Havel's Ring (both improve equip load)

Full set of Dark Armor +5-- so, medium armor, medium Poise, good PvP defenses, light equip load due to rings. (Bonus: looks awesome with Chaos Blade. Penalty: looks "meh" with Crest Shield. Bonus: Crest Shield looks far more awesome when lit in black and red-- that is, while invading. Bonus/Penalty: in any event, you look like Skeletor. This can be described as "silly," but I swear I've won matches through the intimidation factor. I like the look of the Artorias set much better, and its stats are comparable, but I lose way more often when I wear it.)

HUM: whatever I've hunted up, but at least 10 (to power HUM-scaling kit).

Poisoned Throwing Knives and Dung Pies to toss at Havel's Set tanks and similar heavy slow-movers. A stack of Humanity for healing.

No magic, ever.

Tactics:

Initial dance is typical fast sword-and-board - advance, shield raised, and maybe try a cut then dodge away. This isn't really looking for much damage. Draw hostile into determined attack, block/avoid hits until hostile Stamina expended, then two-hand Chaos Blade and retaliate, roll away with last of Stamina. Two-hand and attack immediately if hostile attempts to circle for backstab (trying to backstab a katana user is a fast way to lose a match).

Real strength is ability to switch at moment's notice from defensive probing to high DPS. Unshielded and under two-handed assault, most hostiles lose half their health on the first two hits, get staggered, take one more hit, and bleed out before they can recover balance. High-Poise opponents need to be Poisoned and/or rendered Toxic, then harassed / backstabbed if they use fast weapons, however. (Dragon's Tooth users and the like I can just hit and run to death.)
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2016, 19:25 by Aria Jenneth »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2016, 19:51 »

Wanna know how I roll?

\

Liiiiiiightning.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2016, 20:14 »

Ah, Dragonslayer Ornstein.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2016, 12:00 »

Impressions thus far:

Boss phase 1: "Eh, manageable."

Boss phase 2: "AAAAAAH FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK WHAT THE HELL!"

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2016, 13:51 »

So I got this for my B-day by a lovely EvE friend  :cube: :cube: :cube: .
Although I'm unsure how much lve is involved as this game will lead the to the edge of sanity.

This far it's "Hmmm how did this work again? Ooooh mobs and they die easily"
*Five minutes later* "Wait that looks like a boss..It IS a boss......RUUUUUNAWAAAAAAAAAY" *Ends up as a red smear on the ground*
"Eff this game" *Keeps playing*
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2016, 14:14 »

That's what Dark Souls is.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2016, 14:31 »

So I got this for my B-day by a lovely EvE friend  :cube: :cube: :cube: .
Although I'm unsure how much lve is involved as this game will lead the to the edge of sanity.

This far it's "Hmmm how did this work again? Ooooh mobs and they die easily"
*Five minutes later* "Wait that looks like a boss..It IS a boss......RUUUUUNAWAAAAAAAAAY" *Ends up as a red smear on the ground*
"Eff this game" *Keeps playing*

Me. Literally me right now. I thought I'd buy it and give it a blast, and... I think once I get the crack of it I might actually like this. Going cleric for my first char, have no idea if I made a terrible mistake or not but meh.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 12 Apr 2016, 14:35 »

Clerics are good! I always start cleric. Miracles are nice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5