Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Silphy enDiabel of the Syndicate used to be one of the Sisters of EVE? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: You can buy skillpoints now?  (Read 8645 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
You can buy skillpoints now?
« on: 19 Jan 2016, 09:00 »

http://evenews24.com/2016/01/18/dev-blog-skill-trading-in-new-eden/

You can buy skillpoints now?  For $$? 

Thoughts?

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
Re: You can buy skillpoints now?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2016, 09:31 »

As a new player of 27 months, this will let me skip a couple of awkward remaps. Won't be really accessible for most genuinely new players and people have already figured out how to farm it. Cost will bottom out at injector store price + 25.73% of a PLEx per packet, but how long it's going to stay there it's anyone's guess.

Conversely, ISK will get more valuable because of this.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2016, 10:24 »

It’s very important to note here that this means all the skillpoints available to buy on the market in EVE will have originated on other characters where they were trained at the normal rate.
I'm okay with this.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2016, 10:51 »

http://evenews24.com/2016/01/18/dev-blog-skill-trading-in-new-eden/

You can buy skillpoints now?  For $$? 

Thoughts?

That's always been possible, with the character market.

This just simplifies and expands that idea.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2016, 13:05 »

Character history used to be somewhat of an indicator of what you were facing, though? The two week old pilot and the 5 year old pilot now represent the same potential threat?

ability and history of character not so related going forward? Going to be some interesting awoxing disposable alt business going on.   

Then again I don't know if artificial limits like skillpoints should even be a thing for gameplay.

Kador Ouryon

• History's Greatest Meatshield
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2016, 13:46 »

Purely out of interesting was this kind of thing suggested often on the EVE forums?

A month or two before the announcement a Duster, Jadek Menahiem, suggested a skill point extraction and trading method like this one for Dust 514 and tweeted it at the devs.

Just wondering if this was a common EVE request as well.
"We ripped up the ending and the rules...and cast aside destiny...leaving nothing for us but an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Which is all well and good, except... Well, what if I've made the wrong choice? I have faith that it wasn't.....but how am I supposed to know? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story.Let me tell you everything."
- [name redacted] Truest Adamance

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2016, 13:56 »

It wasn't one that came up often as far as I'm aware, because of the pay to win vibe.

It's tremendously exploitable and ruins a core tenet of the game: that decisions and actions have consequences, and that those consequences are often traceable through history.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2016, 14:00 »

How is it exploitable?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2016, 14:06 »

Since the skillpoints come from existing characters, and aren't generated from thin air, then...

Any time a skillpoint injector thingie appears as destroyed cargo on a killmail, it means that the capsuleer population is now collectively dumber.

lol.
\o/

Ria Nieyli

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2016, 14:08 »

Since the skillpoints come from existing characters, and aren't generated from thin air, then...

Any time a skillpoint injector thingie appears as destroyed cargo on a killmail, it means that the capsuleer population is now collectively dumber.

lol.

Almost the same as reading battle reports with lots of dead T3 cruisers.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2016, 14:08 »

In the sense that CCP frowns on people recycling characters just because they have bad sec status from ganking and the like.

Since you don't need more than 5m SP for an effective ganking character, you can extract, biomass, create, inject, over and over with no loss except some money (which isn't really a barrier for the sort of person who would abuse this). And then it's a fresh character with no history to speak of, again bypassing the whole actions-have-consequences thing.

I'm perfectly fine with being able to reallocate SP on a specific character at a slight loss of SP in the process. I'm not okay with being able to transfer that SP between characters, even if they were on the same account as one another.

Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2016, 18:30 »

It wasn't one that came up often as far as I'm aware, because of the pay to win vibe.

It's tremendously exploitable and ruins a core tenet of the game: that decisions and actions have consequences, and that those consequences are often traceable through history.

part of that tenet has changed though, CCP has revisited skills and mechanics in such ways as to make some skills irrelevant, or required to have at 5 to make a difference.

For example, when they changed reprocessing you could melt loot with above average refining skills (scrapmetal at 1), now that doesnt cut it ...you need it at 5 to make it useful....in other areas, tractor beams required the science graviton physics skill....now it doesn'nt....

Having SP just sitting there, regardless if you no longer pay for clones, is a waste.

With this feature you can adjust your character a bit, and make the unused SP useful to others....however the only concern i have is this will make tracking spy alts impossible.....you can always discard a "burn" name and then just create a fully skilled toon right from the get go.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2016, 18:54 »

The awox and infiltration possibilities alone are a bit much?

You are heading for full blown Broker gameplay for anybody into this sort of thing, hehe.

Anyway seems more fuel for the RMT fire.  See how it goes.  I would speculate this is more of a slide towards PTW/microtransactions from the new board member?

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2016, 21:01 »

I actually like the idea. Character age has never been a reliable guide to threat level after just a couple months (time to ~90% efficiency with T1 cruisers), it's always been possible to buy relatively pristeen new characters, and you can already buy your sec status back up on the cheap.

Awoxing? How does this even substantially change things, considering the preexisting character market? Also, who puts a three-month-old character in a director position with or without skills? You still have to deal with the human element.

Note also the diminishing returns. Aria would benefit very little from one of these.

I'm not sure the dynamics will be constructive, but I'm not sure they'll be destructive, either. I'll be interested to see how it works out (and muse extensively over the philosophical implications, IC).

Ria Nieyli

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2016, 02:15 »

The awox and infiltration possibilities alone are a bit much?

You are heading for full blown Broker gameplay for anybody into this sort of thing, hehe.

Anyway seems more fuel for the RMT fire.  See how it goes.  I would speculate this is more of a slide towards PTW/microtransactions from the new board member?

It'd be PTW if it let me get a skill to Level 6, whereas people who trained normally were limited to Level 5 at maximum. It's not more pay to win that paying your sub at this point.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4