Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You can buy skillpoints now?  (Read 8637 times)

Jev North

• Egger
Re: You can buy skillpoints now?
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2016, 02:29 »

Since you don't need more than 5m SP for an effective ganking character, you can extract, biomass, create, inject, over and over with no loss except some money (which isn't really a barrier for the sort of person who would abuse this). And then it's a fresh character with no history to speak of, again bypassing the whole actions-have-consequences thing.
You apparently can't extract skills unless you have over 5M SP, curbing this kind of abuse somewhat. And no one is expecting skill extractors to be cheap - they're very probably going to be at least as expensive, in the end, as simply PLEXing your character and waiting a while.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2016, 05:52 »

It doesn't take much to fly a gankalyst. Tags for sec status is also a thing.

It's also questionable how this would fuel 'awox and infiltration possibilities'. Where's the difference if you hire someone who bought his character (someone bought it on the bazaar) or someone who has bought SP (Age and SP doesn't match up)? The innocent reason is the same "I wanted more SP to play with." Whether it's the alt of your arch enemy or not you will not find out either way if it's done correctly.
Same for Awoxing.

You can, however, get tackled and cyno-dropped by that 2 day SWA character you didn't perceive as a threat in local. Someone invested into that to outplay you. That's literally EVE. (Cue everyone that ever complained that passive intel is too effective in EVE)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2016, 06:59 »

My only wish in this new feature is that if a skill reached 0, it would give the option to "discard it".....effectively removing mining from your head for example.

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2016, 07:09 »

My only wish in this new feature is that if a skill reached 0, it would give the option to "discard it".....effectively removing mining from your head for example.

Why'd you want that? Having skills injected is much more useful than not having them.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:43 »

why would i want a skill that i no longer find useful in my character? the isk sink is already done...let me do what i want with the spent isk.

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:57 »

Well, considering that if you no longer find it useful, you can drain it to 0 SP, what's the problem? I mean, obviously it's not good enough for you. What I'm asking is why.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2016, 09:33 »

Well, considering that if you no longer find it useful, you can drain it to 0 SP, what's the problem? I mean, obviously it's not good enough for you. What I'm asking is why.

In a word, clutter.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2016, 09:43 »

As was alluded to earlier this is part of the ongoing trend towards removing character action and history from affecting your gameplay, which used to be a thing.

So along with sec status payoffs, you don't have to discard skills (time investment), for burner alts or your general scheming.   I'm not going to spell out all the possibilities, but the ability to suddenly reshape and min/max the skills of lots of untraceable pilots at any age towards any task has disruptive applications.

At this point they should remove skillpoints entirely, as its a bit meaningless now.   But this mostly smells of a cash grab to me.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2016, 10:37 »

Well sec status payoffs are also needed to deal with a major gameplay issue in FW/LOW sec.  If in the militias, you need to basically let neuts/pirates Alpha you if you don't want to take a sec stat hit for doing what you supposed to be doing - defending or taking plexes.  So i don't view that as changing core game play that much (plus one has to hunt or buy tags).

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2016, 11:22 »

So along with sec status payoffs, you don't have to discard skills (time investment), for burner alts or your general scheming.   I'm not going to spell out all the possibilities, but the ability to suddenly reshape and min/max the skills of lots of untraceable pilots at any age towards any task has disruptive applications.

Fun fact: Biomassing characters to dodge sec status hits is still a violation - I don't think 500k extra SP or not will make a difference in judgement. Training time for a functioning gankalyst is probably in the timeframe of an afternoon anyways. It'd also make ganking much less profitable, which is important when talking about hypothetical chain-ganking.

As far as scheming goes - these are the 'tales of EVE' that draw folks in. I'm surprised that this is suddenly evil now.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2016, 13:03 »

Training time for a functioning gankalyst is probably in the timeframe of an afternoon anyways.

[Catalyst, Gankalyst]
Magnetic Vortex Stabilizer I

J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
F-90 Positional Sensor Subroutines, Scan Resolution Script

Anode Light Neutron Particle Cannon I, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]

For a brand new Gallente player, this does around 350dps, costs just over 5mill

Know how long it takes to train?

16 minutes.

Gallente Destroyer I

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2016, 16:43 »

I think it's more 280ish with basic skills (and no overheat) but yeah, it's basically already there.

Tara A

• Clonejack
    • The Star Fraction
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2016, 23:28 »

At first I was a bit appalled, since I am quite proud of my characters, especially the highest SP character standing now a bit under 264 million SP. Before I go on further, I'd like to point out that you can't in practice buy those unlike mentioned here. There are few and they are seldom (never in my knowledge so far) sold. Back years ago my character was #12 in EB in total skill points at the time IIRC and I couldn't even manage a price check for lulz since there were no precedents. Maybe there are now.

The I realized how liberating this is. Having those SP tick has been the only reason to have the account active. I can finally cancel the last three accounts of mine. Of course, this is all personal and subjective.

I might have liked a detail tweaked here and another there, but I don't think the new system as such is bad for Eve as a game. I do think it is as obvious a money grab as there ever was, but it's not more PTW than what already was in place. And for the record I think what is in Eve is completely acceptable even though I never bought a character from another player or a PLEX with real money.

Nakito Kobara

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jan 2016, 02:09 »

This devalues character action and consequences. Not a fan!

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jan 2016, 03:01 »

This devalues character action and consequences. Not a fan!

This is pretty much what I think of this idea  :s
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4