Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Author Topic: [Character & Character Development] Teinyhr  (Read 3701 times)

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
[Character & Character Development] Teinyhr
« on: 27 Nov 2015, 10:59 »

Name    Athryn Noduri
Gender    Female
Race    Minmatar
Bloodline    Vherokior
Date of Birth    21/10/YC82 (1980)
Height    187cm (6’2”)
Weight    76kg (167.5 lbs)
Licensed    21/04/YC108 (2006)
Corporation    Ourumur
Occupation    Capsuleer / Several
Specialization    Space Combat, Electronic Warfare

[REDACTED]

This is my current profile, it is based largely on the older lore I was introduced with - such as capsuleer training was incredibly dangerous, not to mention expensive and not to be wasted on just anyone without extensive checks on if they could handle the pressure without going insane. Anything that logically could be considered public knowledge is... Public knowledge. DOB, birthplace, service history up until capsuleer training etc, and what is just flavor is hopefully self evident.

Right after the explanation to her strange callsign, her Voluval mark is one of the things I'm most proud of to have worked out, my headcanon says that the "Yetamo's Tongue" - that is, a two-pronged shape reminiscient of the tongue of the Yetamo lizard - refers rather straighforwardly to her two halves / inner conflict. As she is now, I imagine Teinyhr being a highly logical individual, a "progressive tribalist" even. However she is also incredibly emotional, conservative and judgemental on some things, in stark contrast to usually trying to find something positive about anyone and everything. For instance, when the Drifters first appeared she didn't consider them a direct threat, and often held other capsuleers as the primary culprits of any engagements between them. Assasination of Jamyl obviously changed her views somewhat, but she still maintains that there must be some reason the Drifters restrain themselves acting against other empires.

Now, my problem is this, and where I'd like your feedback, is that other than what mentioned above her character is in my opinion, almost paper thin. One problem is that I RP in "easymode" - that is, Teinyhr acts and is a lot like my ordinary self, biggest differences being around 25,000 years in the future in another galaxy and being female. The other big problem is that I probably have an inferiority complex, seeing how well everyone else seems to play their characters and how vast backgrounds they have built makes me feel inadequate amongst most other roleplayers and leads me to often just shy away from RP aside from a few lines here and there. I'm not sure how much this actually has to do with my character anymore and perhaps should be its own topic (possibly already discussed somewhere?), so I'll just halt here.

In closing, if you have any ideas how to deepen Teinyhr's character, anything at all is welcome. I'm not saying you should write the character for me, but basicly, tell me if you want to know something more about the character and her now established story, and maybe that will get my imagination kickstarted a bit better. And obviously if there are some glaring lore mistakes in there, don't be shy mentioning those too.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2019, 14:46 by Teinyhr »

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
Re: [Character & Character Development] Teinyhr
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2015, 14:25 »

* Mitara Newelle peers curiously at this new(old) Matari.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Nissui

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2015, 16:03 »

I'm a sucker for Vherokior family and clan dynamics, so if you ever want to further flesh it out, you'll have an enthusiastic reader.

Also, I wouldn't worry about having a fully-fleshed history for the past x amount of years, those things can come up as you develop the character in seemingly mundane interactions. You can always fill that stuff in later.

Skyweir Kinnison

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2015, 06:09 »

I think your character looks extremely interesting, and I particularly like the explanation of her callsign name.

It seems to me that there are lots of good ideas contained in that description for you to think about developing. There's no need to feel shy when RPing - most people's characters are fully rounded at all - the point of fictional characters (and in RL) is to grow and develop.

I'd suggest you choose one aspect you'd like to explore at first - either from the background you've written, or some character trait that you might always have wanted to explore in your real life, but is simply not you at all. (For example, I'm quite a liberal in Rl politically, but Skyweir has been conceived to be fairly right-wing Progressive party. It makes me think hard about other people's positions, and how that might translate into the fictional world of the Federation. With other players, it's given me some avenues to explore, as well as occasionally horrifying me with his prejudice!)

You note that you've been in the game for several years - there must have been memorable moment for you, that would make great macguffins for an event that shaped your character. Start at that point, and follow the trail of her thoughts and personal development.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.  :)

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2015, 16:41 »

Alright, thanks for your feedback so far! For the clan/family dynamics, I'm not that well versed in Vherokior lore at the moment that I could come up with anything that wouldn't be totally ridiculous. But I would like to expand on that at some point, for sure.

You raise a good point on choosing one aspect to focus on, Skyweir, and one I'll take it to heart. And yes there are in fact a few memorable events in the game such as the Colelie Incident that I've not perhaps incorporated in to Teinyhr's character as much as I perhaps should have - and a few others. And actually one thing I've failed to incorporate at all is that Tein's spent most of her adult life in the military / navy, which possibly should show through at least a bit.

Again, thanks to you both!
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2015, 16:45 by Teinyhr »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2015, 18:02 »

Well, not to try and derail the thread, as a sidenote, the right wing progressive party in the Federation is actually the liberal wing of the roster...

With that said, good luck to your character development!

Skyweir Kinnison

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2015, 03:47 »

Well, not to try and derail the thread, as a sidenote, the right wing progressive party in the Federation is actually the liberal wing of the roster...

With that said, good luck to your character development!

I was using the term 'liberal' for my views in the now widely accepted Americanised meaning, rather than the Lockian/Smith derivation. It's actually the latter that is attractive to Skyweir's character.

But as noted, this is Teinhyr's thread.

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:16 »

I don't mind a little off-topic posting here, but of course if it interests you deeper, perhaps there is another thead on the same topic somewhere?

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2017, 16:47 »

I've been mulling things over said in this thread and several others discussing minmatar spirituality and its contrast to the highly scientific society around them. And one thing among many that popped in to my head is that Teinyhr needs to be more flamboyant, maybe? I've been thinking and working on extending the story of her clan, and part of it is that many in her clan believe her to be a person from a prophecy - "The Sky Daughter" (working title) - and she has grown up as bit spoiled as a result, having things given to her more easily than she really should have worked for them. This carries on from the original idea that Teinyhrs primary character flaw is arrogance, and firm belief that she is always right.

That's without going in too much detail of what has been going on in my head, and I'm just bouncing it off of you guys, what do you think? Or are you just content of seeing her adding her bit of snark every now and then, without becoming a bit of a "large ham" (larger than life character). I know EVE has plenty of those characters already, which is why I'm kind of on edge with the idea, should I follow it or not.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2017, 16:52 by Teinyhr »

Nissui

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2017, 19:01 »

I've been mulling things over said in this thread and several others discussing minmatar spirituality and its contrast to the highly scientific society around them. And one thing among many that popped in to my head is that Teinyhr needs to be more flamboyant, maybe? I've been thinking and working on extending the story of her clan, and part of it is that many in her clan believe her to be a person from a prophecy - "The Sky Daughter" (working title) - and she has grown up as bit spoiled as a result, having things given to her more easily than she really should have worked for them. This carries on from the original idea that Teinyhrs primary character flaw is arrogance, and firm belief that she is always right.

That's without going in too much detail of what has been going on in my head, and I'm just bouncing it off of you guys, what do you think?

Well, I should first say that I really enjoy her posts on IGS (including the snark), even if my character can't necessarily agree with some of it IC.

(。•̀ᴗ-)✧ It certainly doesn't seem abnormal in terms of arrogance, which is to say, I think the way she posts is in line with what I'd expect of someone who is assured that they are right. That much seems to be in line with what you have hinted at with an upbringing high praise/high expectation. Shamanism could certainly play a role in elevating that as well through augury/prophecy, as this sort of thing is pretty well-established.

It sounds like something you could portray believably and with depth if you wanted, while maintaining a flamboyance of sorts. Just as an example, Odelya is a character who I feel walks that line pretty well.

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2017, 13:14 »

That's without going in too much detail of what has been going on in my head, and I'm just bouncing it off of you guys, what do you think?

Well, I should first say that I really enjoy her posts on IGS (including the snark), even if my character can't necessarily agree with some of it IC.

(。•̀ᴗ-)✧ It certainly doesn't seem abnormal in terms of arrogance, which is to say, I think the way she posts is in line with what I'd expect of someone who is assured that they are right. That much seems to be in line with what you have hinted at with an upbringing high praise/high expectation. Shamanism could certainly play a role in elevating that as well through augury/prophecy, as this sort of thing is pretty well-established.

It sounds like something you could portray believably and with depth if you wanted, while maintaining a flamboyance of sorts. Just as an example, Odelya is a character who I feel walks that line pretty well.

Woop, first off thanks for the quick reply, and providing someone to look/measure up to :D (and also thanks for words of encouragement.)
I'll start working on some personal lore expansion and start updating my profile where it needs to as work progresses. Of course, the more opinions I get, the better!

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2018, 15:25 »

My take on Teinyhr. I think the Daria analogy is actually somewhat apt. Then again I only know what is on IGS.

Judging from how I typically play her on IGS, that is a highly spot on trope. The only bit a bit wrong is that she does not disdain everyone as the trope says, but other than that - very fitting, even down to the page quote.

As a side note, I really do need to take a look at my character profile and start updating it with fluff I've been working on.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018, 15:27 by Teinyhr »