Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?  (Read 15544 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: So, is there a new OOC forum up, or...?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:09 »

I don't want to be mean, but it's slightly disingenuous to argue that I should be less invested in the metaplot when your own character essentially isn't.

Arguable. On both scores. Aria's more invested than might be apparent. Begging your pardon, being, to her own mind, "neutral" doesn't make her immune. It makes her a leaf on the goddamn hurricane.

Even if she weren't, the quality of the metaplot affects us all-- especially those of us actively exploring all aspects of it.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:09 »

Whoop-de-fucking-doo, another round of the misery olympics.

Seconded.

I'm done, folks. See you in a different topic.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:18 »

Remember, you don't get to complain because if you invest in a faction or don't enjoy how things are going, you're doing it wrong and it's your fault.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:20 »

Pretty much everything you just said can be equally applied to the Tribals. The only faction that doesn't get stomped into the ground on a regular basis are the Amarr, and the few times they do get hit it's by the space magic Dark Eldar Jove.

For once they don't play the space buffoons... When I started playing, they were constantly the idiots of the village.

Not that it has changed a lot though. The Imperial Navy is still as incompetent as ever. But maybe they could actually play on that! I wouldn't mind to get news like the gallente had in the past about the derelict state of their navy. It would actually make sense, for once.

I mean, have you seen how they are played by current dev actors ? Like W40K inquisitors. All of them. And it's not only the Amarr. It's every notorious NPC that gets to interact with capsuleers by the way. CONCORD was no exception, as well as others. It seems that the current actors behind can only curbstomp capsuleers in an abrasive manner.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 13:24 by Lyn Farel »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2015, 14:02 »

Well, if they'd kept the WH40K Inquisitors among the Amarr I'd actually be allright with that. It's suitable for the faction, in public engagements with "heretics and heathens". It's weird to see the chatlogs when other factions' characters are being weird like that.

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2015, 14:12 »

Obliquely, though, I guess that's as good an answer to the original post's question.

I guess so.  Thanks for the heads up.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2015, 15:46 »

Well, if they'd kept the WH40K Inquisitors among the Amarr I'd actually be allright with that. It's suitable for the faction, in public engagements with "heretics and heathens". It's weird to see the chatlogs when other factions' characters are being weird like that.

It just starts to get properly annoying when it's the only thing left around.

Calliste Dauvienne

• Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2015, 16:08 »

This reminds me of conversations in channels where there were Gallentean, Caldari, Amarrian, and Minmatar folks all describing how their own chosen factions sucked compared to others and CCP had some kind of bias against them.

Eventually you realize it's just something akin to people wanting to play underdogs and play to the narrative of how they're managing to overcome the adversity of CCP persecution.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2015, 16:18 »

You've got it the wrong way around. CCP doesn't persecute any factions, they just favor one or two at a time. They've just never seemed to get the hang of including all four into any storyline, and even when they do two at a time they favor one over the other. Lately it's the Amarr getting all the love, both with the Dark Eldar Jove Drifters and the Heir trials arc etc.

Even if anyone wanted to be the underdog, it's hard to be one when you're not even in the game dejour. It requires participation, which currently means "play Amarr".

Vikarion

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2015, 22:32 »

Obliquely, though, I guess that's as good an answer to the original post's question.

It's nice to know that I'm "doing it wrong".

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2015, 04:30 »

There's some amount of private/small group RP.

Public RP seems a bit less active than in the past.

Also, public RP, I think maybe in recent times, there's been an element of "Flanderization" of interactions between various characters.

Aldrith's hair, for example, is mentioned more often than other parts of his personality - poetry, being a Ni-Kunni in PIE, and so on.

The somewhat stagnant nature of other parts of the storyline may also have some effect on RP. The Faction War, for example, hasn't been the empire-shattering event that it was hyped as. Incursions haven't been the civilisation-shattering event that it was hyped as. Drifters probably won't be the civilisation-shattering event they're currently hyped as.

In the case of Faction War, the threat of Minmatar might as well be included on the "And now, the weather" section of Amarr Certified News, because it's not really headline material anymore, and arguable if it has ever been that, save for a half-dozen occasions over the... 7 ? 8 ? years of Faction war.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2015, 04:33 »

To counteract this, I'd suggest striking up conversations with other players, asking about their other interests. Many of them have interests listed in their character sheet threads here on Backstage. Others, you might have to find out about their interests from asking them first.

Ofc, that's not necessarily applicable to everyone. Not everyone is a "people person", or particularly interested in conversation.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2015, 07:50 »

Lately it's the Amarr getting all the love, both with the Dark Eldar Jove Drifters and the Heir trials arc etc.

If that's the kind of 'love' you want, I'd be more than glad to have CCP Falcon's attention turning to the faction of your choice. No, Amarr are not supposed to be W40K inquisitors - or at least they weren't. Just because the current portrayel of Amarr as religious-fenatic-nutbags plays into your one-dimensional perception of the Empire, it not any more close to the promise at character creation that Amarr are highly educated. An Amarrian Inquisitor should work more subtly or at least with more refined methods than a W40K one.

You must be very desperate for CCP 'love' if you mistake any attention CCP hands out for such. I wish you a dozen more Colelies to give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Or maybe then you'll realize that not all attention is good.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2015, 08:03 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2015, 08:36 »

So you're saying you're not pleased with the trials, the further focus on Amarr world-building and advancement of the storyline, and fixing the TonyGderp etc? Getting events, lots of incentives for RP, fueling in-space actions, attracting more attention from the rest of the playerbase to replenish or recruit new roleplayers and so on and so forth?

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 14 Nov 2015, 10:37 »

Am I pleased with succession trials where Khanid is allowed to compete simply because there are 'reasons' (and that's all the reason given, that there are 'reasons')? Where Khanid then goes on to employ someone as champion who's openly a blood raider?

Am I pleased with an focus on Amarr world-building where the idea is to portray the Amarr as religious-fanatic-nutbags? Where on a whim it is decided to give the Tetrimon an important part in the succession trials without any good reason for it, just to 'advance' the storyline? Where the direction of an Empire that supposed to be changing slow is changed quicker that you beat your eye-lash? Where the supposedly best educated people of the cluster act like they have never recieved any education to speak of?

Am I pleased with 'fixing the Tony Gderp' by derp that is on a similar, if not even bigger magnitude, by having her assasinated in-space by the Drifters, when a fleet of assembled players couldn't possibly act fast enough to even get the feeling that they could have tried to do something about it?

No, no and No. I'm not pleased and I don't see how you could expect anyone to be.

Getting ervents for the sake of events isn't helping anyone. The incentives for RP are imho if at all incentives - and I strongly doubt that they are to be considered that clearly - then incentives to comparatively shallow RP. How great the in-space actions worked we saw with how the Drifters one-shot Jamyl. And as to the attention, it is not really it serves replenish and recruit new roleplayers. The roleplayers we get that portray Amarr characters with depth to them we would've surely gained without such attention.

CCP Falcon never made a secret out of his one-sided view of the Amarr and now he's in the position to push his view. He's doing so. CCP's policy on story line development didn't change a bit with getting rid of TonyG. TonyG was never the real problem. The people responsible at CCP made clear they liked his fiction and so it goes on in the same vein - just that TonyG and particular features of the fiction identified as 'his' had to serve as a scape goat to please the player base.

Again. No, I'm not pleased.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6