Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Gallente Federation loyalist and [EL-G] CEO Seriphyn Inhonores is originally from Caldari Prime?

Author Topic: I've RPed. I've capsuled. Never together!  (Read 1195 times)

Jaling

• The Pod(ed)
  • Clonejack
    • Jaling's Rants
I've RPed. I've capsuled. Never together!
« on: 31 Oct 2015, 16:22 »

Hello!

So I've done quite a bit of RP from tabletop to forum to chat in mainly DnD and WoD. There are a few others scattered here and there, but those are the ones I've done the most of.

As for EVE, I've been around off and on since 2009 and until recently hadn't really considered looking into joining the RP community of EVE. My character has been in high, low, nul and even wh space. He's been a mining and missioning carebear afraid of low-sec. Now he lives in low running from CONCORD when in high-sec because of crappy security status. Personally it gives me plenty for background character development...as long as it sticks with canon.

That brings me to a couple questions:
1) Between evewiki, books, short stories, IG events, etc. what's the best way to get started? What's a must read compared to non-important side fluff that can wait until later(or that he may not know anyways)? I don't want to wait 3 months before jumping in, but at the same time don't want to be one of the people I read about who botch canon.

2) How does the community view/treat alts? I have a few and from previous RP experience, I can understand a meta gaming concern.

3) A couple friends and myself have a small indy corp we're looking to convert to RP. Are there any alliances that envelop small RP corps or any advice you guys have?

4) There will be more but...I think that's enough to get me started. Your help is appreciated!  :)

o7

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: I've RPed. I've capsuled. Never together!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2015, 19:40 »

Hi and welcome!

To answer your questions:
1) My usual go-to for this question is Mark726's lore guide, which you can find here. EVE: Source and the Fiction/Lore portal on the wiki are a good place to go once you know what you're looking for. And you can always ask specific questions of people ingame.

2) Depends how they're used, really. If you're not metagaming or breaking ic/ooc divide with the alts, most people don't care too much.

3) I'd need to know more about the corp to give you advice on alliances, but there's a few industry-minded people in the community who might have more ideas than me.

4) ... damn you this isn't a question.  :oops:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2015, 04:59 »

Welcome backstage.

2) A somewhat recent discussion on this forum revealed that some people avoid roleplaying with alts as they feel that those characters don't have sufficient dept/screentime.

3) Yes, I myself am in a RP corp in a non-RP WH alliance.

4) You're welcome...backstage.
-OOChé

Jaling

• The Pod(ed)
  • Clonejack
    • Jaling's Rants
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2015, 09:17 »

1) Perfect! Thanks Morwen. That's exactly what I was looking for.
2) The alts are kind of split up. I was thinking of the interaction being more like having contacts.
3a) Living on the edge of CONCORD space(0.5) near a number of low-sec pockets. Part mining/production and part exploration. Risking low-sec and any random wh they find to plunder resources from there and for the excitement. Not shying away from a fight, but not focused on it. (or even good at it lol) It would be fun to get with an alliance that isn't just RP for the sake of RP and is more into the ongoing story of EVE and the evolving current events.

3b) Che, what's that like? Aren't there difficulties with IC/OOC in fleets and alliance channels? or do you just treat them like OOC channels?

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:14 »

Well, I don't do a lot, alliance wise. I don't use the alliance channel a lot, but I treat lmost anything as IC if I can. Fortunately that's easy to do as long as it's not about RL stuff.
-OOChé