Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roleplay For Pirates  (Read 4750 times)

MatthewDust

• Clonejack
Roleplay For Pirates
« on: 26 Sep 2015, 14:54 »

since pirates are not as much at odds with eachother as say your hardcore min vs amarr.

I think it would be fun to collaborate a little more. The fact is we're all spread out across new eden, representing different groups, roleplaying with fewer people. By creating a corp or alliance dedicated to piracy with representations of all the pirate factions I feel we can work together to create our very own https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates Those interested please contact me on the forums or in game

-Matthew Dust

Velarra

• Wetgraver
  • Angel
    • DED Profile
Re: Roleplay For Pirates
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2015, 13:25 »

You might want to review the factional standings chart within Eve. Particularly the standings relationships between the "pirate" factions. Further, the more you review the factions deemed "pirate" within Eve the more it starts to feel a bit like "Factions", "The CONCORD Assembly" deems socially & politically unacceptable due to various reasons.

Yet "Pirates" in the yarr! Shiver me timbers a la RL privateers gone rogue? Ehm.... I'd say not so much. Is that to say all of the "pirate" factions in eve are sparkling examples of wonderful socially progressive positive ways to live / prosper? That they wholly, one and all deserve acknowledgement and glowing affectionate praise? Not really. No doubt the toasters might disagree with me, but on the whole, within eve's pirate groupings you'll find peoples who've been deemed politically unacceptable and/or socially unacceptable. These factions then tend to be deemed by the concord assembly, "pirates".

Due to their differing backgrounds and reasons for being cast out of positive standing with Concord, the odds of getting them together for cheery tea and scones for protracted periods of time are going to be rather low. Brief one-time gatherings? Perhaps. In any serious capacity? I don't really see it.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2015, 14:27 »

On the other hand.

Pure capsuleer pirate organisations, unaffiliated with any of the baseline or borg pirate groups can be scary all by themselves. And the social rules you use are what you, collectively, decide on.

I should also point out that, at one point, EM had a policy of ignoring all sorts of pirate naughtiness as long as it wasn't done in Minmatar space. Indeed, if a group primarily raided in the State & Empire they might even cut them a discount on resupply. AFAIK this would not be an impossibly deal to cut even now.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Velarra

• Wetgraver
  • Angel
    • DED Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2015, 15:30 »

On the other hand.

Pure capsuleer pirate organisations, unaffiliated with any of the baseline or borg pirate groups can be scary all by themselves. And the social rules you use are what you, collectively, decide on.

True. However OP suggests:

"By creating a corp or alliance dedicated to piracy with representations of all the pirate factions".

Unless random corporations and alliances whose membership prowl eve in search of general mayhem, yet are completely unaffiliated with Concords' definition of "Faction" is what's being implied...rather then the more traditional faction loyalist pilot, pirate corporation.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2015, 06:30 »

While I'd love to see more pirate RP, generally the pirate factions are at odds with one or more opposing pirate faction. This isn't to say your idea can't work. PYRE manages to have pirate, and non-pirate, RPers from opposed factions in one corporation.

Are you looking to setup a new corporation or alliance, or is this more of a social/RP thing?

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2015, 09:21 »

While I'd love to see more pirate RP, generally the pirate factions are at odds with one or more opposing pirate faction. This isn't to say your idea can't work. PYRE manages to have pirate, and non-pirate, RPers from opposed factions in one corporation.

Are you looking to setup a new corporation or alliance, or is this more of a social/RP thing?

I am very sure that the Angels and the Sansha's Nation are competing over Jovian artifacts and generally despise each other. Why don't we see more of that stuff?
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Nakito Kobara

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2015, 05:01 »

What pirates are left in Eve RP? Stillwater? Any others?

Eve used to have quite a few with Blood Inquisition, Cruoris Seraphim, True Slave Foundations, Veto, Naraka etc being quite prominent corps/alliances with influence.

Anyanka Funk

• Blood Raider LARPer
  • Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2015, 08:16 »

Anyanka Funk pirates. I'm not sure if I would qualify Stillwater as pirates. They actually have strict antipiracy policies.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2015, 09:48 »

Depending on your definition, PY-RE is pretty piratey (in the tradition of mercenaries and privateers operating with little oversight in just about every war zone ever).

Anyanka Funk

• Blood Raider LARPer
  • Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2015, 11:00 »

PY-RE is literally the United States.  :P

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2015, 21:21 »

No, just Blackwater.

Also, not literally literally. Only figuratively literally.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2015, 22:20 »

No, just Blackwater.

I thought Blackwater's operating under the Academi name these days.

youcancallmesir

• Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo.
  • Clonejack
  • I'm not afraid of you. Let's do this.
    • Talking in Local
« Reply #12 on: 02 Oct 2015, 00:35 »

Yep, Academi. And some acronym before that. They've gotten harder to keep track of since Eric Prince left the helm. Rumor (that significant research can neither verify nor debunk at this point) points to Monsanto as their new parent company. I'll let folks make their own value judgements there.

As for piracyand RP goes, I was yarring happily in Stay Frosty when I began RPing in Eve. They're not affiliated with any faction, but are about as "pirate-y" as it gets.
Dr. Quattras Peione
No, I'm not THAT kind of doctor

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #13 on: 02 Oct 2015, 00:52 »

I'm just a freelance privateer doing odd jobs to get the two Isk I need to rub together. Also small-time industrialist.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 02 Oct 2015, 09:37 »

No, just Blackwater.

I thought Blackwater's operating under the Academi name these days.

And keeping their heads down and their name out of the news, apparently, on account of the shenanigans that happened on their watch as Blackwater.

Grimdark as Eve's setting is, capsuleer war criminals soldiers of fortune don't find quite so much need to keep their heads down.
Pages: [1] 2