Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Interest Check] New Eden's Fair - Universal Expo  (Read 6680 times)

Lyn Farel

Hello,

Well after major events like Seycon, the PPC (still ongoing), etc, that also prove to be major world builders and content generators, I am trying to see what else can be done in this vein. Most if not all of the outcome of such events is generally 99-100% positive for everyone and allow to keep RPers busy doing things, interacting, bring new things to the table, and overall keep up the flame that otherwise tends to extinguish by itself. We saw that with the lack of news for a while, and it is also part of this willingness to provide content.

So, you may already be familiar with the concept of World's Fair, which has been happening quite regularly in the world since 1850s, in part due to the beginning of industrial revolutions.

I intend to replicate the idea to New Eden. All the intricacies are yet to be defined. This is mostly an interest check to see if people are interested because like for SeyCon, it might also ask a bit of willingness from at least some of the participants to create content and so, spend time doing it. It's not huge, it's basically RP and world building, but it still asks for a minimum of motivation (like for SeyCon speeches and researches really).

For now the thing I have in mind would be a rather standard format spread on one or several days where characters or corporations can exhibit whatever they like, in accordance to the theme of the expo. I want to make sure not to go too much universal or it would just prove to be a clunky mess of everything that may detract to the general coherence of the thing and could also dilute/balkanize the audience and the expo.

What would it consist of exactly ?

Well as I said, details are still open to discussion and even creation. What I have in mind however, is to set a theme (not too precise, but not universal either), and allow people and corps to come with their works. As you may know, those exhibitions were often eulogies to progress, innovation, art, culture, and that kind of things. Nowadays, they still are, but often more focused on modern day concerns, like challenges facing humanity like global warming, sea, energy, food, etc. I obviously do not intend to set up as a theme "Feeding the poor in New Eden" because it would prove to be very limiting and boring. But I am surveying a bit what kind of setting for the first of those events could be.

Wait, if the event is about, say, Science and innovation, and my character is more about say, culture or art, will I be left out ?

Well as a participant/exhibitor, probably yes. But definitely not as part of the general public! Also, keep in mind that if the first one proves to be successful, I would like to plan other ones as well, that have different themes to provide a rotation of exhibitions and involved people (and to avoid burnouts and just depleting all the pool of ideas if it's always about the same things). So, if you are not that much interested in one, doesn't mean another one could not interest you either. Maybe it could actually motivate you enough to take part as content creator.

How would it work ?

Probably a lot to add there. I however envision those exhibitions to last at least a one or a few days so that different TZ can mingle and enjoy it. In realities those lasted for months so... It would not be such a stretch to make them last, but I don't want either to see them last for eons because it will just dilute everything and they would anyway die out in terms of activity past a few days.

I also have the idea to set up maybe one every 3-4 months or something. 3 months basis, at least for a start, sounds reasonable and would provide 4 of those per year. Then if it proves too much, we will reduce it.

They would last a few days or something, because I just don't want to say "here we got, we have X people each with their little exhibition, feel free to visit them". It would die in less than a day once people got there, saw what was there, and left. I would see it more like Seycon or the PPC, with conferences spread over a few days, and several rooms for people to move freely outside of the conferences.

I would like to use a format where every exhibitor has their own "venues". They could even be free to determine and describe how they look as long as they remain in the spirit of the session.

People could either present their work individually, or gather into collectives, groups, or corporations, with or without corporate or faction ties between them... It's very free, do as you like.

Where would it take place ?

Well probably in a place tied to the general theme of the exhibition. Which means that it would change at every expo.

What is that poll for ?

Well, it is basically to rate your interest in the theme for the first one... Provided there is enough interest of course. You can vote for all of them at once if you like them all.

And yes, some of them intersect heavily. But the venue totally changes.

As a potential exhibitor, what am I expected to provide ?

Your own imagination and the theme are the limits. And those are pretty loose. If you want to come to a science expo with your own silly invention like the new Thomas Eddison, well, feel free to do it. I will be the only judge of what is out of bonds (either out of limits because not really into the theme, or out of bonds because your RP idea is godmoddy or breaks PF, deal with it).

More seriously though, it's really an exercise of world building. Create your own lore around your exhibition, if you want to present the fruit of your little corner of space and native planet, then do it. Explain how your flora works and try to entice the people that comes to see it with it. Basically, it involves like for SeyCon, to find a nice subject for your "thesis", do some research or work around it, be it ingame or not (I don't care at all, it's world building, so world build where you like to world build), and prepare a little speech to present it like people did at SeyCon.

Thank you, hope it provides interest!
« Last Edit: 14 May 2015, 11:22 by Lyn Farel »

Anyanka Funk

Re: [Interest Check] New Eden's Fair - Universal Expo
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2015, 06:32 »

I like that Origin is on the list! Personally I think it would be awesome to open up Origin to the general public for an event. Either way Halfrek will try to be there with her hand crafted patchwork clothing, goggles, parasol, and dirigible. Anya may accompany Hallie on a leash and in Blood Raider cosplay. Hallie and Anya would like to talk about late capitalism, anticapitalism movements, and human evolution without capitalism.

I really do hope to be a positive member in this. It's a great idea, Lyn!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2015, 07:00 »

So option three is "Dam-Torsad, Amarr - Religion and spirituality."

I'm not sure I follow. Is this meant to imply that the empire has a monopoly on religion in the cluster?

Of course if it's Lyn's IC perspective then fair enough. I can see how she might feel that way.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2015, 07:02 »

I'm not sure I follow. Is this meant to imply that the empire has a monopoly on religion in the cluster?

Of course if it's Lyn's IC perspective then fair enough. I can see how she might feel that way.

None of the locations implies monopoly. It's about where the fair would take place. The locations symbolize their topic, but it's not saying they have a monopoly on it.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2015, 07:38 »

I like that Origin is on the list! Personally I think it would be awesome to open up Origin to the general public for an event. Either way Halfrek will try to be there with her hand crafted patchwork clothing, goggles, parasol, and dirigible. Anya may accompany Hallie on a leash and in Blood Raider cosplay. Hallie and Anya would like to talk about late capitalism, anticapitalism movements, and human evolution without capitalism.

I really do hope to be a positive member in this. It's a great idea, Lyn!

Origin is on the list as a potential place, but I have yet to contact anyone official about it and I'm only listing it to gauge the interest. So... Nothing official. Hope AVLEX doesn't mind.

I originally listed Athra for Knowledge, then I remembered Hedion and I thought it was a bit more fitting.

For something on religion, I met the same issue everywhere really. It could be set anywhere where religion is intense that it would leave all other religions out... There is no clear place where to do that, but I thought Amarr, having the most influential and powerful religion on the cluster could be a natural place to host it. I mean, when the same expositions started to take place IRL, guess where they started ? France, then UK, then France... In a nutshell, in the 2 biggest empires of the world where technology, art, culture were at their peak. It didn't mean that those had a monopoly on it, since various other nations (especially emerging true powers like Germany) attended too! But generally, the most influential nations tend to see that kind of thing gravitating around them. Look at the US today, it's the same, really.

So as Samira said, it's a symbol, mostly, but your remark (I made the same myself when I wrote it so I understand where it comes from) actually made me think of another possibility : Saisio and Amarr regroup very similar themes and could be grouped together. The first expo, if it was directed with that theme in mind, could maybe start on Saisio, which is a lot more neutral, to prevent controversy (or we go for Athra if we actually want to provoke that controversy...). Then, if a similar one arise in the future, then Athra. But yeah, similarly for all other, like Caille, doesn't mean that they have a monopoly on the subject. They are just the most influential beacons for such things in the cluster.

And no, Lyn would really be the last one to suggest that either. Amarr religion is probably the religion that interests her the least, since she already knows a lot about it. Currently, she is completely obsessed by Achur, but if it was Matari religion, she would be glad to learn too.

Thanks for the feedback !
« Last Edit: 14 May 2015, 07:40 by Lyn Farel »

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2015, 08:54 »

This is a really nifty idea! Since my phone won't seem to let me vote I just thought I'd say that. I think Dam-Torsad or Saiso III would make for really nifty locations. Given how accessible those topics can be,  even for the layman.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2015, 09:20 »

I totally don't mind Origin being on the list, and actually parts of Origin are already publicly accessible venues, even by out of corp members.

This is a really cool idea, and I expect it to go places regardless of where it is held.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2015, 11:29 »

So far glad to read all the answers!

Don't hesitate to give suggestions or what you would actually like to see...

Also, I really would like to see some kind of outcome... I mean, if people can come to present things, it's all well and good, but at the moment I feel that it lacks a little something to bind all this together, and an IC (or even OOC) motivation. I thought of a jury of people that would like in those universal expos, well, select the best contributions but... One, Lyn doesn't see the point of that (though she could be pressured into doing that), and two... Well, I think we could find better ideas.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2015, 11:39 »

I like this idea a lot. It has the potential to be as recurring as the World's Fair itself.
-OOChé

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2015, 11:59 »

the outcome could be the addition of new IC technology to the cluster. My corp at least has developed a number of interesting implants, prosthetics, and various technologies for personal and industrial use. They're not the sort of things that will make a huge impact on the overall universe, but we could use it to enrich our RP and shake up the way we view things.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2015, 05:41 »

I love the idea Lyn. If you need any help or support talk to Luna ICly.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2015, 07:13 »

I like this idea a lot. It has the potential to be as recurring as the World's Fair itself.

this +9000

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2015, 10:02 »

Ok... So it seems that I have a bit of food for thought now, thanks!

I'll continue to think about it, but the first event will probably be a simple theme. Apparently, there is more interest about trade and culture and art than the rest, which surprises me a bit as I thought a lot of people would vote for tech and science stuff, but that's nice actually to know. Either way, the theme must remain simple and accessible so that it remains easy for people to find nice ideas, nice projects to present. A lot easier than a theme based on knowledge or very abstract things like that.

It is probable then that the first one will happen in Caille, or Yulai. Which also means that those that are not welcome in the venue will certainly not get access because that only makes sense ! But do not fear, there are always ways to get around that, I mean, in Silas parties all the loyalists could still come with alts. Or you find a good excuse to come under disguise or cover, whatever... I don't want to see people left out of it because of that. But I don't want to make it rubbish looking with pirates and enemies of said faction running happily among their baseliners either.

I love the idea Lyn. If you need any help or support talk to Luna ICly.

Thanks! Maybe I will.

The thing is, I will probably need help to... set up things. Or most likely, to have security (=mods), that kind of things. Nothing serious, just being able to cover most TZ.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2015, 03:16 »

Vote. Submit.

Good luck with this. I'll turn out as I can.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2015, 03:31 »

Before I start to launch anything, I want to thank you again for the support and enthusiasm, though I would still like to have an idea if anyone of you are also interested to attend as project exhibitors ? It's the perfect venue to bring up your own little pieces of world building, on your native planet, native culture, or just bringing up cultural projects of various sorts (the more creative, the better anyway).

I'm asking because I would like to make sure I have at least a little base of people interested to provide content or else it would not work obviously.
Pages: [1] 2 3