Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Censorship  (Read 13289 times)

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
Censorship
« on: 16 Apr 2015, 15:25 »

I'm going to share a video in which some ladies, whom are all smarter than me, discuss a topic that's very important to me.    Censorship.   

The 'warm up' banter is a little vulgar and NSFW, and this episode of their show meanders on a few tangents but they really get to the meat of some very important social issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZy8zlfxmus

Also Karen Straughan:

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2015, 15:34 by purple »
You are RPing wrong.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Censorship
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2015, 23:06 »

I suspect discussion about these anti feminist ladies will quickly descend into catacomb territory, no thanks, but I did check the link for a few min and read up on them a bit.

Vikarion

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2015, 23:33 »

As I said to Bloodbird...if you believe this stuff, why would you share it? It's only going to lead to your, well, disadvantage.

I'm against censorship, of course, but I'm also against anyone discriminating against me.

So, good luck to you, but I'm out.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2015, 23:35 »

Please don't bring this kind of stuff here.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2015, 02:45 »

Not again.

purple

• Obvious Gallente Plant
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2015, 08:56 »

As I said to Bloodbird...if you believe this stuff, why would you share it? It's only going to lead to your, well, disadvantage.

48 Laws?
You are RPing wrong.

Vikarion

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2015, 10:05 »

48 Laws?

I'm saying that, if I want to get out a message about censorship, I'd prefer to be posting videos of Christopher Hitchens.

As for gender issues, I've found that I'm a far happier person if I just don't bother with them, at least in terms of gender issues in the first world. I can afford to - I won't marry, I don't intend to have kids, and my business is in a field which women rarely enter. I don't know who is right on what, and I don't care.

I think that enjoying my own life is a lot more rewarding than worrying about the pay gap or alimony or whatever.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2015, 10:47 »

Ok seriously out of this looming shit show.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2015, 14:37 »

I came for the shit show.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2015, 14:43 »

I'm saying that, if I want to get out a message about censorship, I'd prefer to be posting videos of Christopher Hitchens.

Because Christopher Hitchens is so much more neutral? He's , honestly, a demagouge using lots of polemics. I don't think he's the better choice by any stretch - it's just that you apparently happen to agree with him.

So, you seem to be guilty of just what you accuse purple to be guilty of.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2015, 14:52 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2015, 14:48 »

Despite Hitchen's idiotic viewpoints, he does have one redeeming factor: he was a talented writer. He had a very respectable writing and journalism career before the silly antitheism wave. If you go back and read his essays on topics not related to politics or religion, he was very talented.

Sadly, that talent went to waste when he became very famous.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2015, 14:54 »

So, he was a talented wirter, using that for his activities as polemicist and demagouge. Using rhethorical talent for that doesn't make it any better nor is it a redeeming factor in my book: In fact, it rather makes it worse.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2015, 14:57 »

So, he was a talented wirter, using that for his activities as polemicist and demagouge. Using rhethorical talent for that doesn't make it any better nor is it a redeeming factor in my book: In fact, it rather makes it worse.

I don't disagree. I meant his career has redeeming qualities when taken as a whole. Anyone interested in being an essayist would do well to read him. I am not saying it redeems his later work.

Edit: To sum it up in a pithy manner, what he was famous for was not his career -- it was the end of it.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2015, 15:02 by Sarice »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2015, 15:03 »

I don't disagree. I meant his career has redeeming qualities when taken as a whole. Anyone interested in being an essayist would do well to read him. I am not saying it redeems his later work.

Oh, yes, with that I can kind of agree. Still, with his anti-thesim he's certainly not a greater advocate of freedom of speech than anti-feminists.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2015, 15:05 »

Still, with his anti-thesim he's certainly not a greater advocate of freedom of speech than anti-feminists.

Agreed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7