Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked cruisers are held in place with massive clamps on strategic support sections of the ship, and are disengaged with incendiary explosives? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Too many faecal references on this forum  (Read 7560 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Too many faecal references on this forum
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:13 »

Really? Fucking really? Are we really fucking having a fucking debate on what the appropriate amount of fucking swearing? Let me tell you, I'm going to fucking swear as much as I fucking want, they're just fucking words.

I only have one thing further to say to this.

Asspoop.

That is all.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 16:15 by Saede Riordan »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Rin Valador

• The one who cant sit still
  • Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:17 »

Stop cussing, shit!  :eek:
On the internet no one knows you are a giraffe... no one...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:19 »

You know what that reminds me ? The guy smoking besides you and telling you to gtfo if you are not happy, or to use a gas mask.

Yes, let's compare the use of normal language that is completely and utterly incapable of doing any harm to anyone, with giving people cancer. This is a good argument.

Seriously, if you got a problem with harmless words, install a fuckin' filter. Don't impose your frail sensibilities upon others.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:47 »

What the hell the harm caused has to do with the simple fact that in both cases you are annoying to begin with, and asking to the guy that asked absolutely nothing but to live quietly to tolerate the nuisance caused ? Let's blame the victim a bit more shall we ?

So, apparently trashtalk has now somehow been declared normal language by Mizhara, and thus all other people not using that normal language have been categorized as 'not normal' by direct causality. Right.

So while we are at it... Let's spiral that down to the bottom shall we ? Maybe it doesn't make me sound edgy, maybe it doesn't make me sound rebel and all that jazz, but it sure makes me sound like a grown up. So yes, maybe a good time to grow up ?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:04 »

Being annoying or even offensive is not a crime here or anywhere else, until it's to the point where it is sufficiently detrimental to the forum in question. This is generally determined by the userbase at large or the moderators. In this particular case, at least one moderator has already laughed it off.

No one has any sort of right to never be annoyed or offended, particularly by something as innocuous, common-place and harmless as "ass". Feel free to challenge this if you wish, but it's a word in common public usage pretty much anywhere. It's quite ridiculous to demand that people stop using a commonly used, harmless and perfectly normal word like that.

Do you want to know what a grown-up does? They deal with the fact that there are many annoying or even offensive things out there, and then embrace and revel in the fact that we have a society where we can be annoying or even offensive without fear of the Morality Police coming down on you. We can hate the exceedingly annoying tumblrina phenomenon where they're "triggered" by bloody mayonnaise, without demanding that these blithering idiots are restrained from being utterly annoying and offensive morons on the internet and even rejoice in the fact that these people are free and able to do what they do.

You and Louella can complain about the language used by whoever you want, all you want. I do in fact encourage you to do so, because it's in its own (in my view, ridiculous) way a small celebration of free speech and the ability to freely portray whoever and whatever you wish within reason. You're just going to have to deal with the fact that others don't share your frail sensibilities in the process.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:17 »

it makes reading potentially interesting threads into a chore.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:20 »

For some, perhaps. The solution there is for those people to use filters or word replacers if they have to, not to try and impose their sensibilities upon everyone else.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:31 »

Also worth noting is that the quantity of swears/slurs/slang, and which ones used in regular speech is often a direct bi-product of the geographic region and its local dialect. I swear a fucking lot, and most of my friends swear a fucking lot. In fact, fuck may be one of my favourite words. Streya got horribly offended a few times when I called her a cunt, before I convinced her that it wasn't meant as a deeply personal attack on her, and in fact is just the way I talk. Contrast this with Streya who actually uses 'yall' in a non-ironic way.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:36 »

Jesus, put some trigger warnings on that, Saede. "Ya'll" triggers my True Blood induced PTSD.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:41 »

if you're not australian, that c-word is a deeply insulting word to term someone.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/site/Guidance_labels_final.pdf
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:53 »

My friends and I call each other cunts all the time. Pretty sure we're not secretly Australian, so I think you're wrong. I'm not particularly insulted when people call me a cunt, none of my friends are insulted when I call them that.

There's this lovely thing called context. Another example: the word faggot is only insulting (to me as a gay person) if its used to be intentionally hostile/derogatory. My friends call me a faggot pretty often, and it doesn't bother me, because they're not being malicious about it, we're just all foul mouthed. The word itself is not bad, its just a word. Its just letters strung together. Getting offended about the mere use of a word itself without factoring in the context is pretty fucking idiotic.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:56 »

if that is how you talk, then I pity you.
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:00 »

That's fine, I pity your delicate sensibilities.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:19 »

My friends and I call each other cunts all the time. Pretty sure we're not secretly Australian, so I think you're wrong. I'm not particularly insulted when people call me a cunt, none of my friends are insulted when I call them that.

There's this lovely thing called context. Another example: the word faggot is only insulting (to me as a gay person) if its used to be intentionally hostile/derogatory. My friends call me a faggot pretty often, and it doesn't bother me, because they're not being malicious about it, we're just all foul mouthed. The word itself is not bad, its just a word. Its just letters strung together. Getting offended about the mere use of a word itself without factoring in the context is pretty fucking idiotic.
<3

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:38 »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani
Pages: 1 [2] 3