Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Author Topic: The foolish new guy is at it again...  (Read 9916 times)

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
The foolish new guy is at it again...
« on: 09 Feb 2015, 05:16 »

Hey! :D

So I was perusing through the DUST forums, and I noticed that the Intergalactic Summit therein didn't really have the news stories that we see on the EVE Intergalactic Summit. So I enthusiastically, and potentially foolishly, came up with an idea to disseminate the news stories we see/generate on the Intergalactic Summit forum in EVE and other RP events/occurrences.

Enter Pyyrota Jushin, my DUST bunny who will never see action as I don't own a PS3, but who will do his part nonetheless. My plan is to use Pyyr simply as an exposition device to help relay the news to the DUST players, and hopefully bring to them a little bit more of the lore and sense of the universe that we love, exist in, and enliven with events and stories.

How would this work? I will give a brief example of the post you'd see from Pyyr:

Pyyr staggered out of his quarters and into the mess, holding onto the bench he shoves a cup under the coffee machine and enthusiastically beats the machine into giving up its glorious liquid. Blinking he flicks on the news, flopping onto the couch, he allows the incessant headlines and stories to wash over him.

'Capsuleers organise a relief convoy... trouble expected and hundreds of thousands at risk again from the violence of these would-be gods...'

A groan as Pyyr remembers his physical is today.

Obviously a super brief example but you get the idea; Pyyr will serve to simple frame a single news story.

Now this brings me to why I am posting this here, if you have a news story you want posted shoot me (Arkon Sarain) an EVEmail with either the subject and key points to cover and I will write it up, and run it by you for approval first. Or just send me the text to put in the post as the news story and I will do that. :)

Whichever works for you, hopefully this helps everyone in both communities a bit, and that the fact that a rather new peep is doing this doesn't offend.

-A

Lyn Farel

Re: The foolish new guy is at it again...
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2015, 06:16 »

That's a really good idea. I wonder if the reverse could also be done, where a capsuleer relay DUST pieces of news on the Eve IGS.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2015, 13:03 »

Ooh, great initiative Arkon :0

The opposite would be cool -  How are news pieces looking on that side?
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Thal Vadam

• "The" Templar
  • Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2015, 14:39 »

The DUST IGS isn't really a news centered page and is more of a place for DUST only RP, what news is there, is usually us talking about major empire politics

Our stories are great though  :D
"I do what I do because it is the right thing to do. I am a warrior, and it is the way of the warrior to fight superior odds."
Thal Vadam

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2015, 18:28 »

That's a really good idea. I wonder if the reverse could also be done, where a capsuleer relay DUST pieces of news on the Eve IGS.

Thanks! And I am sure it could, I would even be happy to volunteer Arkon to do it. So those peeps on the ground feel free to EVEmail me too! :)

Cheers Aedre! :)

The DUST IGS doesn't really seem to have much news, the occassional brief discussion of something related to what is posted on 'World News' by CCP, but otherwise it seems bereft of that side of things. Mainly full of threads about actual individual character actions.

The DUST IGS isn't really a news centered page and is more of a place for DUST only RP, what news is there, is usually us talking about major empire politics 

Our stories are great though  :D

Yeah that's what I noticed, and I think it would be helpful for DUST and EVE for more of the player events and RP to get shared there. That way the general profile of the RP community as a whole is raised, and hopefully more DUSTers get involved in RP. :)

Well fire those news stories at me people I am eager and ready to get started! 8)

-A

Jandice Ymladris

• Collector of Civilians!
  • Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2015, 04:45 »

That's a great initiative really, when I started Aurora News, there was RP between the dust & eve communities, but over the years it seemed to have mostly died out, save for a few dust folks who mostly got an eve account as well.

On recent stuff that could be of interest for Dust folks could be the current I-RED RP storyline, seems to have a ground-based part (albeit not directly aimed at dusters.

During the evacuation of the I-RED colony, one of the assistants was a dust player (with eve account -  Foley ) who used his sturdy Dust dropships to continue evacuation where the usual shuttles couldn't anymore due to the storm. Stuff like that could help dust players to realize they've got assets that capsuleers can't get a hold on easy.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2015, 05:01 by Jandice Ymladris »

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:29 »

That's a great initiative really, when I started Aurora News, there was RP between the dust & eve communities, but over the years it seemed to have mostly died out, save for a few dust folks who mostly got an eve account as well.

On recent stuff that could be of interest for Dust folks could be the current I-RED RP storyline, seems to have a ground-based part (albeit not directly aimed at dusters.

During the evacuation of the I-RED colony, one of the assistants was a dust player (with eve account -  Foley ) who used his sturdy Dust dropships to continue evacuation where the usual shuttles couldn't anymore due to the storm. Stuff like that could help dust players to realize they've got assets that capsuleers can't get a hold on easy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jandice! :D I will be shooting I-RED and Foley an EVEmail if they don't spot this before I get to that.

And do keep Pyyr in mind for your next newsworthy story or any RP event - only too happy to spread the news :)

-A
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2015, 07:51 by Arkon Sarain »

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:49 »

So in their infinite and impossible to fathom wisdom for us mere mortals CCP have set the restriction that you cannot post on the forums without ten minutes in-game...  :bash:

They really don't want a sense of a connection or common community do they? :ugh:

Will try and work it out, and let you all know.

-A
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 18:59 by Arkon Sarain »

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2015, 16:44 »

So thanks to the lovely efforts of Denak Calamari I was able to get "my" 10 minutes of game time - meaning this idea is back alive and running again :D

So please send me any events/stories/etc. you want reposted to the DUST forums, my first post can be seen here: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2637383#post2637383

Cheers!
-A

Kador Ouryon

• History's Greatest Meatshield
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 02 Mar 2015, 18:42 »

I apologise for our IGS...... it's different to your own in a very noticeable manner.

Admittedly less raving maniacs but also less coherent RP.
"We ripped up the ending and the rules...and cast aside destiny...leaving nothing for us but an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Which is all well and good, except... Well, what if I've made the wrong choice? I have faith that it wasn't.....but how am I supposed to know? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story.Let me tell you everything."
- [name redacted] Truest Adamance

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 02 Mar 2015, 23:51 »

I apologise for our IGS...... it's different to your own in a very noticeable manner.

Admittedly less raving maniacs but also less coherent RP.

Haha no need to apologise I used to do PbP RPs so I can follow what you are doing, and it makes sense given how hard it must be to RP in-game what with the lack of keyboards.

Regardless I will keep chipping away with news items and the like :)