Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Evanda Char once stole a priceless artifact from Admirals Tharrn's office and made it into ear rings precipitating a year long war?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP  (Read 8922 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:43 »

YOU ROLLED AN 18
NO I DIDNT
YES I DID
NU UH BUTT HEAD
YA HUH PENIS EARS

I wish EVE had an in-game dice function.

And no, not necessarily for RPG rolling like that.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:47 »

We have done events in the past where we use a dice roll room, for in space events. Like hacking a satellite was D20 + Hacking Skill Level vs TN.  :)

Anskek

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:49 »

OK that's pretty baller. If you can share dice roll views like that then that could totally work for more public non-pvp RP.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jan 2015, 00:28 »

There is a list of which corps self-professed to align with certain factions. It doesn't say whether those corps are visible or active. Or if they are still functional, from what I see.

Activity/functionality of the corp and the accuracy of their posting has always been the responsibility of the corps adding themselves to the list. My only responsibility is keeping the list in the OP up to date. Which I haven't done in a few weeks but I'm dealing with a lot of shit right now.

I ment to refer to the CCP list in the EVE fiction forums.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2015, 16:04 »

My earlier statements were referring to the visibility of RP groups in "the community", not the relevance/engageability of RP groups to the (greater) community. It was not my intention to derail the thread in that direction.
My statements referred to groups that do have at least some relevance/engageability, yet are labelled as not having those characteristics, if that was not clear. This can decrease their visibility to (semi-)private channels.

I don't see things happening in space really increasing that visibility too much (apart from those CCP or IGS advertised ones) by itself. Well, I guess it would for random passers-by, but not for someone actively looking for RP. I'm pretty sure that I don't know about 99% of the stuff that goes around in space RP-wise, and what I do know is usually because it's mentioned in a channel. Even just spotting known RP-ers in local is somewhat of a rarity for me unless Ché visits clubs/events, or even if he visits clubs, thanks to interbus/holo (No offense, I use interbus/holo now and then.)
-OOChé

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2015, 16:20 »

The last time I did RP-in-space that involved other people (before Kor's thing the other weekend), I got whined at afterwards on this forum because no RP got generated from it.

Ironic, because I was never contacted IC about it and as far as I was concerned at the time, I had made my IC action and it would have required me to break character to say anything about it without being contacted first - that is, it was their turn to make a move. Morwen is generally not someone who sees the need to go crowing about all the little things she does in space unless someone actually asks. That doesn't mean she doesn't do things.

It just means that nobody bothers to try interacting.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2015, 21:36 »

* Korsavius interacts with Mor, passionately

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2015, 21:51 »

* Korsavius interacts with Mor, passionately

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 28 Jan 2015, 12:38 »

Louella makes a very important point.

VISIBILITY IS ESSENTIAL

If you want people to interact with you, you must make your presence known, and you must do it in such a way people can interact with you. You must create 'points of interaction'

If you do the RP equivalent of lurking in a wormhole in a cloaked vessel is not going to get you anything.

The RP equivalent of sitting in an FW plex visible is better. Better still if you are not flying a Garmur.

The RP equivalent of an important Station timer is even better, because it *will* generate interaction.

So, please make your RP visible to others. And make your RP vulnerable and not Garmurish. You'll get more interaction.

A lot of RP conversations I do is over local or generally accessible channels, because it increase exposure and thereby opportunities for interaction.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2015, 14:01 »

I like seeing Merdaneth in local. I also like seeing Merdaneth's capsule on d-scan.  :lol:

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jan 2015, 19:47 »

VISIBILITY IS ESSENTIAL

If you want people to interact with you, you must make your presence known, and you must do it in such a way people can interact with you. You must create 'points of interaction'

If you do the RP equivalent of lurking in a wormhole in a cloaked vessel is not going to get you anything.

The RP equivalent of sitting in an FW plex visible is better. Better still if you are not flying a Garmur.

The RP equivalent of an important Station timer is even better, because it *will* generate interaction.

So, please make your RP visible to others. And make your RP vulnerable and not Garmurish. You'll get more interaction.

A lot of RP conversations I do is over local or generally accessible channels, because it increase exposure and thereby opportunities for interaction.

All good points

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2015, 21:01 »

VISIBILITY IS ESSENTIAL

All good points

Staying In-Character all the time is also a good way to generate some interaction. You are basically advertising yourself as being a roleplayer when you say IC things and do IC things everywhere.

I did not follow what I preached though and I should fix that.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:56 »

I remember DAoC not only had a dice function, it had a card draw function, both hidden and open

Letos

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:37 »

I remember DAoC not only had a dice function, it had a card draw function, both hidden and open

I was thinking about a similar thing recently. From a shadowrun MUD (which is completly text based) I remembered a /prove chat funktion. Example: "/prove Infomorph Psychology" would give a public chat result like "Haria Haritimado proves Infomorph Psychology on level 4". I think it would be an easy way to involve character stats in roleplaying, especially when it comes to events where confrontation against NPC or challenging circumstances are involved. Similar, a /dice chat command  would also be nice.

Such ideas seem easy to implement to me. Maybe we could suggest it to CCP in some way?

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:47 »

I was thinking about a similar thing recently. From a shadowrun MUD (which is completly text based) I remembered a /prove chat funktion. Example: "/prove Infomorph Psychology" would give a public chat result like "Haria Haritimado proves Infomorph Psychology on level 4". I think it would be an easy way to involve character stats in roleplaying, especially when it comes to events where confrontation against NPC or challenging circumstances are involved. Similar, a /dice chat command  would also be nice.

Such ideas seem easy to implement to me. Maybe we could suggest it to CCP in some way?

I feel pretty safe saying that it's probably been tried before. Mos of the large scale RP events with NPCs and combat etc that I've been in has generally been more of an honor system without rolls and just making it believable and fun for everyone involved.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4