Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That not all slaves are subjected to the Vitoc treatment?  Read more about the Vitoc method here.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: IC Forum. It's going to be a thing. How do we even  (Read 20907 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: IC Forum. It's going to be a thing. How do we even
« Reply #75 on: 16 Dec 2014, 11:32 »

The difference between a trial account alt that I never undock, and a baseliner, is pretty minimal on that front, and categorically cutting out baseliners cuts down on a lot of RP opportunities.
Yeah, and I would actually prefer baseliners to not have capsuleer profiles ingame, and such I don't feel baseliners on The Plummet should be required to have one.

But if the char selection API thing can work in a different way, that could be usefull.
...Not that I'm really afraid of the zillion alts accounts thing happening, the EVE RP community isn't that big.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2014, 11:36 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 16 Dec 2014, 12:19 »

The difference between a trial account alt that I never undock, and a baseliner, is pretty minimal on that front, and categorically cutting out baseliners cuts down on a lot of RP opportunities.
Yeah, and I would actually prefer baseliners to not have capsuleer profiles ingame, and such I don't feel baseliners on The Plummet should be required to have one.

But if the char selection API thing can work in a different way, that could be usefull.
...Not that I'm really afraid of the zillion alts accounts thing happening, the EVE RP community isn't that big.

You underestimate the altapacolypse.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #77 on: 16 Dec 2014, 14:03 »

I have had as many as three alts in the same room at a time in game... maybe 4. And that was limited by accounts.

Without that limit? Vickiblob might cease to be so easily contained.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: 16 Dec 2014, 20:29 »

I have always wanted to show up somewhere with a character from all of my accounts, but I just could not live with myself if I did it.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #79 on: 17 Dec 2014, 17:37 »

Moderation should be IC too for a truly IC forum

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #80 on: 17 Dec 2014, 17:57 »

It will be, by an unbiased firm not connected to any faction posting on it.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #81 on: 17 Dec 2014, 17:59 »

I am in agreement that the mods should be faceless. ICly this works better for pirate roleplayers. If the mods were a faceless internal security AI integrated into the ic forums it would allow for a non bias approach to moderation, unlike eve-o forums that are controlled by CONCORD.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #82 on: 17 Dec 2014, 18:10 »

Ex:

SECURITY AI: Rule violation detected in reply #367 - "I will set all Amarrians on fire" by user:Anyanka_Funk.

Rule 3, section 1b; Threatening the lives of others will not be tolerated.

Third offence, final warning. Further rule violation will result in account deactivation.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014, 18:15 by Anyanka Funk »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #83 on: 17 Dec 2014, 18:54 »

Ex:

SECURITY AI: Rule violation detected in reply #367 - "I will set all Amarrians on fire" by user:Anyanka_Funk.

Rule 3, section 1b; Threatening the lives of others will not be tolerated.

Third offence, final warning. Further rule violation will result in account deactivation.
We totally need a standard format like this.  Very win.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #84 on: 17 Dec 2014, 18:55 »

Well, I'd love to see a summary of what the forum admin overlords have garnered from this thread and what the current plans are, specifically.

1. Ruleset.
2. Name.
3. Moderation team.
4. Thread tagging?
5. Usergroups?
6. Characters/Real Poster differentiation?

This is by the way why - in that other thread - I asked for a temporary Smoke Filled Room analogue first, so we could have multiple threads for different subjects related to this topic, so specifics could get hashed out without drowning in a single thread full of different things.

No response to this yet.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #85 on: 17 Dec 2014, 20:21 »

Well, I'd love to see a summary of what the forum admin overlords have garnered from this thread and what the current plans are, specifically.

1. Ruleset.
2. Name.
3. Moderation team.
4. Thread tagging?
5. Usergroups?
6. Characters/Real Poster differentiation?

This is by the way why - in that other thread - I asked for a temporary Smoke Filled Room analogue first, so we could have multiple threads for different subjects related to this topic, so specifics could get hashed out without drowning in a single thread full of different things.

No response to this yet.

Holiday season over here in the US where all but two of the mods are based. People are busy.

My current understanding of the items listed:
1) Presumably similar to the rules for the IGS, with the expectation they'll actually be enforced. Personally I would prefer a strong bias towards enforcement being dealt with IC - at least outwardly to posters - and only dealing with things OOC if absolutely necessary (ie, a pattern of behavior across multiple characters all belonging to the same player).
2) None set. We're doing a beta attempt first. Name for the actual thing can come later, whether as some IC initiative through the beta forum or a separate "offer names" -> "vote on names" thing here.
3) Backstage mods to start; I'm guessing we're going to watch the beta forum and yoink some additional people from there. This has come up though no names have been put forward yet.
4) Not seen any discussion internally about these. I don't think that they're all that useful beyond stating the obvious (if they're supposed to be used to show what is/isn't "on-topic" as I understand them to be, which should be self-evident from the contents of the thread), and I'm not sure how we'd implement these anyway, whether as space-wasting tags you put in the thread title, or some sort of checklist when posting the thread.
5) Usergroups aren't necessary if the new forum is on its own subdomain. Shouldn't really need to use them here for the purposes of the beta. The only real use for these I can think of off the top of my head at the moment is allowing moderators the ability to see when there are new reports without them having to log off and log into a moderation account.
6) If we can't find or make a tool to deal with the API so we can have some sort of single-sign-on like the official forums have (I'm looking and not having much success), people are just going to have to create individual accounts for each character they wish to post as deal with the multiple account issue. We may still add an API mod to let people link their portraits/corp/alliance stuff over even if this is the case.

Edit: I have just posted at length in the mod areas about all of these. Hopefully we'll have something more substantial to post in a day or two. Silver's got RL up the wazoo and may have time here or there to read or post a bit. Havo said he'd look tomorrow, and I'll prod Jek and the rest to go give it a look.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014, 23:51 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #86 on: 19 Dec 2014, 18:05 »

I have always wanted to show up somewhere with a character from all of my accounts, but I just could not live with myself if I did it.

I got five in a room at once.  I think my eyes started bleeding.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: 21 Dec 2014, 20:57 »

I got five in a room at once.  I think my eyes started bleeding.

I've had multiple in separate channels/events, not interacting with each other - but there's just something weird to me about having your characters interact with each other. I just couldn't do it.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #88 on: 22 Dec 2014, 13:07 »

It's happened to me a few times elsewhere. I don't have enough alts in EVE to warrant it.  I see them as different individuals, so while I mostly avoid it just for practicality, I've never been specifically against it, particularly in the smaller groups. /shrug  It can be weirder sometimes if they always happened to miss each other!  It really depends on if they know the same people. Generally, then it only becomes a clusterproblem at parties. /laugh
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #89 on: 22 Dec 2014, 13:26 »

I rarely have more than one of myself actively participating in a room at a time. It's why I always colored the UI for my accounts differently, though - just in case.

Usually if I have more than one character present, the others are supporting characters that are there for the entertainment of everyone else rather than myself; there's been very few situations in RP where any of them might have been expected to show up, though, so. vOv
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7