Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: IC Forum. It's going to be a thing. How do we even  (Read 20932 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: IC Forum. It's going to be a thing. How do we even
« Reply #60 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:18 »

Well, I'd love to see a summary of what the forum admin overlords have garnered from this thread and what the current plans are, specifically.

1. Ruleset.
2. Name.
3. Moderation team.
4. Thread tagging?
5. Usergroups?
6. Characters/Real Poster differentiation?

This is by the way why - in that other thread - I asked for a temporary Smoke Filled Room analogue first, so we could have multiple threads for different subjects related to this topic, so specifics could get hashed out without drowning in a single thread full of different things.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #61 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:14 »

I read somewhere about this being capsuleers only. No Dusties? Why?
Seems to me this may also be something that is not around yet, as far as I know: an IC forum for both capsuleers and Dust soldiers.
-OOChé

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #62 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:23 »

I think it was more "capsuleers only" in the context of not having baseliners allowed to post, which is a thing some people feel shouldn't be allowed to happen ever. I see no reason why DUSTies should not be allowed to take part.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #63 on: 15 Dec 2014, 11:07 »

Seems to me this may also be something that is not around yet, as far as I know: an IC forum for both capsuleers and Dust soldiers.
We can just say "infomorphs only" if it would save on confusion.

I've yet to see a good reason why DUST soldiers shouldn't be allowed. In fact, that there currently AREN'T any public forums for EVE players and DUST players to RP together is probably the best reason of all for us to create our own IC forums.

I'll be honest and state up-front that I don't have a particular problem with baseliner posting. It can and has been done properly in the past, and there are quite a few reasons to have baseliner alts for RP and even forum posting.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #64 on: 15 Dec 2014, 14:41 »

I think it was more "capsuleers only" in the context of not having baseliners allowed to post, which is a thing some people feel shouldn't be allowed to happen ever. I see no reason why DUSTies should not be allowed to take part.

I don't get why no baseliners, that seems a bit silly.

We can just say "infomorphs only" if it would save on confusion.

I've yet to see a good reason why DUST soldiers shouldn't be allowed. In fact, that there currently AREN'T any public forums for EVE players and DUST players to RP together is probably the best reason of all for us to create our own IC forums.

I'll be honest and state up-front that I don't have a particular problem with baseliner posting. It can and has been done properly in the past, and there are quite a few reasons to have baseliner alts for RP and even forum posting.

Also, if you had 'infomorphs only' it would include any baseliner with a clone backup, IE: most of the population of Origin, CTCS's mass produced missionaries, and various other groups with non-capsule based cloning technology.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #65 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:05 »

No baseliners, because that is too easily used as a consequence-free tool to talk down others.

Player A and Player B don't like each other.
Player A posts something on the forum.
Baseliner C who is 110% not an agent of Player B, posts in a denigratory fashion about Player A.
Player B then says "you can't associate me with those awful, awful comments".
Everyone knows it was them OOC. Even the Zeta Reticulans who don't even play EVE know it was them, it was that obvious.
People give a collective sigh.
\o/

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:10 »

It might be a better alternative then coming on the IGS and getting responses like "What do you mean you no capsuleer?! Your profile say you capsuleer?! Only Capsuleer can post on IGS!!!"
I feel like allowing non-capsuleers might add something. Why should try it, IMO, it's a beta after all, let's see what works.
Also, I could replace "baseliner C" with "player C" in Louella's example...as in, I don't see how having baseliners around would make this any more possible than it already is.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2014, 15:13 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #67 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:11 »

No baseliners, because that is too easily used as a consequence-free tool to talk down others.

Player A and Player B don't like each other.
Player A posts something on the forum.
Baseliner C who is 110% not an agent of Player B, posts in a denigratory fashion about Player A.
Player B then says "you can't associate me with those awful, awful comments".
Everyone knows it was them OOC. Even the Zeta Reticulans who don't even play EVE know it was them, it was that obvious.
People give a collective sigh.

You can do literally the exact same thing with alts right now.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #68 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:15 »

with alts, there is at least a possibility of interacting non-consensually with them in game in some fashion. Though that possibility is reduced quite a bit, should they never undock.

with a baseliner, there is literally no way of interacting with them non consensually. that would be god moding.
\o/

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:27 »

Isn't all RP that is acknowledged by all involved parties consensual?
I would say that non consensual RP is not possible at all, baseliner or not.
Is it not usually when god-moding is involved that RP becomes non-consensual?
-OOChé

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #70 on: 15 Dec 2014, 15:34 »

I'm looking around to see if there are any options for the API-based character selection similar to the official forums. In fairness, something like that would 'handle' the issue of baseliner characters in the sense that someone would need to at least create them ingame before they'd be usable on the forums.

If we used something like that, rather than making people create 50 zillion accounts.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #71 on: 15 Dec 2014, 16:10 »

Isn't all RP that is acknowledged by all involved parties consensual?
I would say that non consensual RP is not possible at all, baseliner or not.
Is it not usually when god-moding is involved that RP becomes non-consensual?

When I blow you up in space, that's in character and I can treat it as such whether you like it or not.

Despite that, the number of alts who never undock is already very high, so there is already quite a lot of that present. I think however, that we should not categorically deny baseliners for that reason. It won't actually make the problem any better. The difference between a trial account alt that I never undock, and a baseliner, is pretty minimal on that front, and categorically cutting out baseliners cuts down on a lot of RP opportunities.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #72 on: 15 Dec 2014, 16:23 »

cutting out baseliners cuts down on a lot of RP opportunities.

what kind of opportunities ?
\o/

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #73 on: 15 Dec 2014, 16:29 »

cutting out baseliners cuts down on a lot of RP opportunities.

what kind of opportunities ?

baseline family members of capsuleers, baseliner doctors, scientists, etc, since capsuleers don't have a monopoly on that sort of thing, even baseliner news reporters. There's fundamentally no reason why Muck Raker should have to be a capsuleer besides that they couldn't post on the IGS otherwise.

Muck Raker

• Wetgraver
« Reply #74 on: 15 Dec 2014, 17:51 »

There's fundamentally no reason why Muck Raker should have to be a capsuleer besides that they couldn't post on the IGS otherwise.

Capsuleer status also allows me to get killed in amusing ways, while investigating news "stories".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7