Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Masked Molok  (Read 8158 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: The Masked Molok
« Reply #30 on: 05 Dec 2014, 09:48 »

3) breadcrumbs so obvious as to defeat the purpose

Loaf of Obviousness.

It's the only way most people get anything done with "secret" plots.
\o/

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 05 Dec 2014, 11:07 »

Loaf of Obviousness.

This is Mit's new favorite food.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #32 on: 05 Dec 2014, 11:25 »

Two copy cats now! 

And in case my prior comments weren't clear, I am always interested in rp but I guess some ooc plotting is needed to see how to get it off on the right foot unless the "one other thing" is intended to do that for folks!
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2014, 11:48 by Lunarisse Aspenstar »

Deitra Vess

• Immature Quasi Terrorist Interceptor Pilot
  • Egger
« Reply #33 on: 05 Dec 2014, 11:34 »

I'm finding it interesting, though the whole "been there, done that" thing doesn't really apply to me.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 05 Dec 2014, 15:28 »

kinda cliché. Not personally a fan, seems like an attempt to be controversial for the sake of it.

Not empty quoting.

Breaching onto the scene with an admittedly interesting but garishly obvious act of grandstanding has done the exact opposite of pique my interest.

And really... It's the exact same "Grrrr Slavery" plot line that comes up almost bi-weekly on the IGS.

I'll probably nose about on occasion, but admittedly I'm not that interested.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 05 Dec 2014, 15:37 »

kinda cliché. Not personally a fan, seems like an attempt to be controversial for the sake of it.

Not empty quoting.

Breaching onto the scene with an admittedly interesting but garishly obvious act of grandstanding has done the exact opposite of pique my interest.

And really... It's the exact same "Grrrr Slavery" plot line that comes up almost bi-weekly on the IGS.

I'll probably nose about on occasion, but admittedly I'm not that interested.

To be devil's advocate there hasn't been anything non-cliche on the IGS in about 9 years, amiriiiight?

The game world / gameplay / IP is in a state of stagnicity as to make role play in general for EVE a difficult prospect at the best of times the last few years, for a dwindling cadre of interested parties.

the gold in them thar hills was mined by those older than us in the days of glory past.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #36 on: 05 Dec 2014, 15:54 »

I've never really viewed the state of the world and it's need to change as a requirement for fresh and adaptive role play.

Not to call anyone out but more to praise them I've noted a few people here; namely Samira, and Saede who have with little bearing on the state of eve love crafted dynamic and interesting characters who for all intensive purposes function wholely independent of whatever stagnation the Eve lore suffers from.

Point of fact many of the largest events in many of our characters lives have taken place with little or no connection to the actual mandated lore.

Kirstin for example is inextricably tied to the events of Malkalen but I require little else to enjoy the role play.

Both Kat and Mor have gone through painful loss that really has nothing to do with the game world itself but ties them closer to the fabric of it. Many capsuleers are married. Others are mercenaries working a new contract, others priest roaming the skies to preach.

We can easily generate our own content without latching onto common tropes as our only life preserver.

World lore I've always viewed as a starting point, and while it's easy to get caught up in the history and lore, you become another cookie molded by the same cutter that so many others have been shaped by.

TLDR: History/Lore should be a part of you. Not all of you.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #37 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:01 »

Word.

And thank you for the compliment. :)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:16 »

I've never really viewed the state of the world and it's need to change as a requirement for fresh and adaptive role play.

Not to call anyone out but more to praise them I've noted a few people here; namely Samira, and Saede who have with little bearing on the state of eve love crafted dynamic and interesting characters who for all intensive purposes function wholely independent of whatever stagnation the Eve lore suffers from.

Point of fact many of the largest events in many of our characters lives have taken place with little or no connection to the actual mandated lore.

Kirstin for example is inextricably tied to the events of Malkalen but I require little else to enjoy the role play.

Both Kat and Mor have gone through painful loss that really has nothing to do with the game world itself but ties them closer to the fabric of it. Many capsuleers are married. Others are mercenaries working a new contract, others priest roaming the skies to preach.

We can easily generate our own content without latching onto common tropes as our only life preserver.

World lore I've always viewed as a starting point, and while it's easy to get caught up in the history and lore, you become another cookie molded by the same cutter that so many others have been shaped by.

Those are all good point of course.

I'm not talking about history and lore though, as those are rich and well established points of reference and springboards for creativity and new characters.

I'm talking about being pigeon-holed into RP and characters that sometimes can't have intelligent conversations about plenty of aspect about the world around them without sounding like idiots.

IMO if your RP has to increasingly take place unrelated to the game world and be independent of facts on the ground/in space in order to stay fresh, then it eventually gets problematic.  It's just hard to stay fresh.

There's lots of awesome local world building going on at small scales and with small events and imagination between small groups of players, as there will probably always be,  but you know, the 500th time Huola flips or Sansha incursion in Amarr gets hard to talk about it.

You do make good points though, perhaps better to retreat into interpersonal / emotional content rather than bounce off of the world around.  I dunno! *shrug*

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #39 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:27 »

but you know, the 500th time Huola flips or Sansha incursion in Amarr gets hard to talk about it.

It's only flipped once in three years. :P

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:31 »

but you know, the 500th time Huola flips or Sansha incursion in Amarr gets hard to talk about it.

It's only flipped once in three years. :P

Don't be mean you know what I meant :P, replace that with any of the border systems :)

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #41 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:37 »

I'm not talking about history and lore though, as those are rich and well established points of reference and springboards for creativity and new characters.

I'm talking about being pigeon-holed into RP and characters that sometimes can't have intelligent conversations about plenty of aspect about the world around them without sounding like idiots.

IMO if your RP has to increasingly take place unrelated to the game world and be independent of facts on the ground/in space in order to stay fresh, then it eventually gets problematic.  It's just hard to stay fresh.

There's lots of awesome local world building going on at small scales and with small events and imagination between small groups of players, as there will probably always be,  but you know, the 500th time Huola flips or Sansha incursion in Amarr gets hard to talk about it.

You do make good points though, perhaps better to retreat into interpersonal / emotional content rather than bounce off of the world around.  I dunno! *shrug*

I couldn't disagree with this more, and I mean that with absolutely no offence. But one only needs to reference our day to day lives to see just how little the grander schemes of our world effects them.

This of course does nothing to diminish the vibrancy and meaning of a life lived and in my opinion adds to it. I don't see it as problematic at all.

Take for example many people go their entire lives in a democratic country and never vote. What does that say about any other aspect of their life? Absolutely nothing, they could have travelled the world, and opened for Bruce Springstien but absolutely none of that effects the world. "It just keeps spinning"  as they say. 

Really this is the definitive, "missing the forest, to view a tree." People are far to concerned with "mattering" or "leaving their mark" and forget to actually live their character. Become the accumulation of life experiences, instead of defined entirely by and being caught up in a single world defining event.

TLDR: People forget to live the life they try to change the world with.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2014, 16:42 by Vizage »

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:41 »

Edit: Fat fingers strike again
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2014, 16:45 by Vizage »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 05 Dec 2014, 16:53 »

I couldn't disagree with this more, and I mean that with absolutely no offence. But one only needs to reference our day to day lives to see just how little the grander schemes of our world effects them.

This of course does nothing to diminish the vibrancy and meaning of a life lived and in my opinion adds to it. I don't see it as problematic at all.

Take for example many people go their entire lives in a democratic country and never vote. What does that say about any other aspect of their life? Absolutely nothing, they could have travelled the world, and opened for Bruce Springstien but absolutely none of that effects the world. "It just keeps spinning"  as they say. 

Really this is the definitive, "missing the forest, to view a tree." People are far to concerned with "mattering" or "leaving their mark" and forget to actually live their character. Become the accumulation of life experiences, instead of defined entirely by and being caught up in a single world defining event.

TLDR: People forget to live the life they try to change the world with.

A very good debate!

... and if we weren't capsuleers but were mortal, baseliner ship crew, dock workers, janitors, whatever, then I would agree with you 100%.  Something like Star Citizen 'everyman' character pilots I think is ripe for this.

Every one of us in Eve is potentially a triollionaire immortal demigod feared by millions of people, by game design. 

Important, wealthy, powerful people can generally live more interesting lives than us with more opportunities for zany, unique events.  Not BETTER by any means, but dope people tend to have more dope experiences that effect more people.  Wealth and power and authority dont make you inherently more interesting but they give you access to a wider set of experiences in some ways.

A billionaire playboy in Monaco probably has a more interesting weekend than I do. An admiral commanding an Aircraft Carrier in a war has more going on than the janitor.  Their lives aren't better than the janitor in a moral sense but EVE tells us we are the former, not the latter.  The gameplaly revolves around the former, not the latter.  The game revolves around ships, explosions, wars, territory, pew pew, large sums of money, conflict.   It's written as more space opera, less soap opera. :/
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2014, 16:55 by Silas Vitalia »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #44 on: 05 Dec 2014, 17:13 »

I prefer to combine my space opera with my soap opera.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5