Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Masked Molok  (Read 8159 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: The Masked Molok
« Reply #15 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:16 »

Seeing MOLOK Thread Title:

Seeing it's an anonymous OP in an ooc forum:

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
« Reply #16 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:39 »

« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 19:06 by Lt Col Nieyli »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #17 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:44 »

However, on this note, this does give a possible opening down the line. If Mr. Secret wants to give people a clue to follow up on, then perhaps one of his (presumedly future) victims does end up having a soft clone that wakes up after the murder, no idea what happened but eager to find out (and willing to hire other characters to help investigate).

That's actually pretty clever.

Still I feel as if this isn't actually going to go anywhere. Nothing is going to evoke the seemingly desired sense of shock and outrage, and this will quickly pass from record. There's no meat to it, nothing to keep it interesting, no way to hunt down the villain, its just seemingly someone posting snuff films for the sake of it in an attempt to be hip and edgy.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 04 Dec 2014, 14:55 »

Seeing MOLOK Thread Title:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Seeing it's an anonymous OP in an ooc forum:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
This made my day, the Vince "swagger".
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #19 on: 04 Dec 2014, 15:05 »

Space is roleplay. The rest is just multiplayer notepad.

Everything that is an interaction between two characters is roleplay.

Doing things in space is good and should be done where possible, but that is not and should not be the extent of all RP or things would be rather dull, since most stuff in EVE space is rather dull and has no impact.

True impact in RP happens when the opposing side consents to it. Ergo, whether in "multiplayer notepad" or "in space", both cases you only have an effect if the opposing player chooses to allow you to have an effect. If they don't, it's just violencing boats which is pointless on its own.

I started RPing in forums. Visual mediums are a nice addition to the storytelling potential, but they shouldn't be a complete replacement of it. That being said, in a full-time IC game like EVE, you should avoid doing things that contradict what happens in space and if an action can be done in space then it absolutely should be done in space. But if two players choose to do something in "multiplayer notepad", something that can't be done in space, and both consent to it, then it is every bit as valid as something in space. As long as something has left an effect on the characters involved then it is significant.

Still I feel as if this isn't actually going to go anywhere. Nothing is going to evoke the seemingly desired sense of shock and outrage, and this will quickly pass from record. There's no meat to it, nothing to keep it interesting, no way to hunt down the villain, its just seemingly someone posting snuff films for the sake of it in an attempt to be hip and edgy.

Because, as said above, the players are choosing not to let it have an effect on them.

At least for me, this thing had an even bigger visceral impact on Sami than, say, Nauplius's things, for the same reason that there's a significant emotional variation between hearing about a hundred deaths somewhere and seeing someone kill someone directly in front of your eyes on a video (which is, as I understand it, what the original post was intended to be).

But then, for me, a killmail saying "Slaves x10,000" versus a well-written and graphic murder scene? The latter will generate much more feels for me.

RP only ever has as much impact as people let it have.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2014, 15:06 by Samira Kernher »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #20 on: 04 Dec 2014, 17:07 »

I agree Sami, except in one important detail. If space is not even an option, the multiplayer notepad sections become entirely useless to me. This is a game. A space game about violencing boats. The various aspects of it, channels, forums, space violence, etc all come together for the full experience. Remove one and it loses its worth.

So to reiterate, nameless alt, station/login-tank and forum bluster does not make for an engaging engagement.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 04 Dec 2014, 17:11 »

Because, as said above, the players are choosing not to let it have an effect on them.

At least for me, this thing had an even bigger visceral impact on Sami than, say, Nauplius's things, for the same reason that there's a significant emotional variation between hearing about a hundred deaths somewhere and seeing someone kill someone directly in front of your eyes on a video (which is, as I understand it, what the original post was intended to be).

But then, for me, a killmail saying "Slaves x10,000" versus a well-written and graphic murder scene? The latter will generate much more feels for me.

RP only ever has as much impact as people let it have.

True to a degree though that may be. It again doesn't lead to further roleplay. It might have a visceral effect on Sami, but can she actually do anything about it? There have been two murders now. Even if each one is violent and dark and graphic and shown in high-def holographic 3d, after a certain point, it just becomes another crazy on the IGS.

If this was a person we could fight, or could attempt to discover the identity of, or something it would be cool, but so far, its not. Its just forum whorrioring.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #22 on: 04 Dec 2014, 17:33 »

True to a degree though that may be. It again doesn't lead to further roleplay. It might have a visceral effect on Sami, but can she actually do anything about it?

Nope. And she can't do anything about Nauplius either. It being in space instead of a forum doesn't really change much.

If this was a person we could fight, or could attempt to discover the identity of, or something it would be cool, but so far, its not. Its just forum whorrioring.

The person behind it has said he wants to work with people to make something come out of it. I could normally understand the reservation, but the guy did kinda come in here and said, 'Hey, I'd like to give people the opportunity to investigate this, to get people involved and make it fun.'

"That said, I'd really like to involve a few others. Maybe a failed attack, or an attempt at investigating the killer's real identity. That's what I really want; Anslo and a few others have vowed to find my true identity, and I would love to leave them a slow trail of breadcrumbs along this grimdark path." - OP

Which is why I think instead of simply blasting it, people should be offering positive criticism and suggestions about how to take it in a way that is interesting and lets people get involved. Yes, that includes putting it into space in as much a capacity as is possible.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #23 on: 04 Dec 2014, 18:00 »

Smacks of scripts too much. I draw a clear line between RP and "collaborative writing" as it were. It is one thing to set up opportunities for encounters etc ooc, like a meeting in a corridor for instance, and another thing entirely to plan any kind of outcome ahead of time. Both have their uses but I have nothing but bad experiences with the scripted stuff, which is exactly what your quote is hinting at.

I get your point, but terse short posts is all you are going to get from me typing one letter at a time while fighting an autocorrect that tries to turn every other word into Norwegian.

i-have-a-secret

• Clonejack
« Reply #24 on: 04 Dec 2014, 19:31 »

Thank you all for your input.

A few facts that I failed to point out before:

Any time I perform an action that involves furthering this plot, I do so in space as much as possible. It is true that the character Reza hasn't logged in for a few days, but that is due more to RL complications than dodging anything in-game. Also I like him to operate in the same system as my main to increase the chance of being uncovered, and he's on a nullsec trip as of my last login.

Each post has been littered with clues, from the overt "hey dummy I'm not a Minmatar" to some quite subtle hints that one would have to think very hard to figure out. I've made statements in chat on my main, using similar phrasing and even one very distinct phrase pulled right from the OP. At least three times I have been almost certain that someone has figured me out, and each time they seem to drop the scent.

Thanks for the suggestion about dropping a noobship full of bookmarks. I had been wracking my brain for days trying to figure out how to do that. And I will go ahead and enlist Reza in a PC corp.

This is only the first act of this play, folks. The opening scene is a little "been-there-done-that," but there are further things in the works - a number of potential variations, depending on who figures out what when and how they react. I have an idea of how to get Nauplius engaged too, and though I'm not sure if my actual pilot skills are where they'll need to be I will certainly try.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2014, 19:34 by i-have-a-secret »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 04 Dec 2014, 20:46 »

Thank you all for your input.

A few facts that I failed to point out before:

Any time I perform an action that involves furthering this plot, I do so in space as much as possible. It is true that the character Reza hasn't logged in for a few days, but that is due more to RL complications than dodging anything in-game. Also I like him to operate in the same system as my main to increase the chance of being uncovered, and he's on a nullsec trip as of my last login.

Each post has been littered with clues, from the overt "hey dummy I'm not a Minmatar" to some quite subtle hints that one would have to think very hard to figure out. I've made statements in chat on my main, using similar phrasing and even one very distinct phrase pulled right from the OP. At least three times I have been almost certain that someone has figured me out, and each time they seem to drop the scent.

Thanks for the suggestion about dropping a noobship full of bookmarks. I had been wracking my brain for days trying to figure out how to do that. And I will go ahead and enlist Reza in a PC corp.

This is only the first act of this play, folks. The opening scene is a little "been-there-done-that," but there are further things in the works - a number of potential variations, depending on who figures out what when and how they react. I have an idea of how to get Nauplius engaged too, and though I'm not sure if my actual pilot skills are where they'll need to be I will certainly try.

Honestly, OP: Don't rely on people being picking up "hidden secrets". You can drop them if you want - I know some people like the challenge - but don't base your storyline progression on people noticing them. Trust me - I've dumped dozens of hints about Esna, maybe only one or two have ever been picked up.

If you want people to pick up a trail, being a bit more explicit will be necessary. Other people have done everything up to and including dropping structures in space, but until they actually prodded people with hints the structures went unnoticed.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 04 Dec 2014, 20:50 »

For this sort of 'trail of breadcrumbs' things have to be either

1) interesting enough for different RPers to participate
2) some OOC broad outlines among participants or
3) breadcrumbs so obvious as to defeat the purpose

People tend to not go for this kind of thing with anonymous people pulling plot strings

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 04 Dec 2014, 20:53 »

Like though I do the concept, I feel as if yeah, I'd have to agree with Silas and Esna's assessment. I've tried to do the breadcrumbs thing as well and #3 on Silas's list has definitely happened to me. Its a difficult balance to strike, but if it would be cool to see something interesting come of it, so I will wish you good luck in this.

i-have-a-secret

• Clonejack
« Reply #28 on: 05 Dec 2014, 03:59 »

The sheen has already worn off this a bit, but I'm committed to at least giving it a solid effort. I have one more thing I'm going to try.

In the meantime, my roommate just informed me "looks like you've got a fanboy."

Copycat killing. I like it.

Ria Nieyli

• Delicate Feminine Flower
  • Egger
« Reply #29 on: 05 Dec 2014, 08:05 »

« Last Edit: 16 May 2015, 19:05 by Lt Col Nieyli »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5