Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa Corporation, or SuVee as it is commonly known, is the head of the self-proclaimed 'practical' faction within the Caldari State? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII  (Read 16678 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Star Wars Episode VII
« on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:45 »

Star wars....now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.....before the dark times....before the prequels...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww

So I've been following these with much reservation...but I'm ready to have fun again with luke and Han and the new characters, and no trade embargos or banking guilds or senate shittery.  This looks fun and adventurous.

Thoughts?

Lyn Farel

Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2014, 12:23 »

Brace yourselves, Lucas destroyed the license with the prelogy, now it's time for Disney to do it... I'm prepared. /cynism

More seriously, i'll wait and see, because i'm not really sold on what I saw. It's just CGI stuff.

And I don't like JJ Abrams very much. And I laughed so hard when I saw that lightsaber, it's just ludicrous. Also, loled at John Boyega's face, almost asking "wtf am I doing here ?". I also laughed (or cried) at the poverty of that random montage. I seriously thought it was a fan film (so a fake) at first.

But at the same time I like their take on getting back to the roots of Star Wars, with rusty and dirty and overused stuff and gears and ships, unlike the shiny all over the prelogy. I just hope it will not turn into fan service (I strongly got that feeling when seeing that stupid sith).

And at least, mad props (lol) for them to actually do a trailer that doesn't say a single damn thing about the story. It's not even avoiding spoiling, it's bare from any story facts \o/

So, tl;dr, i'm confused.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2014, 13:20 »

a fan film

I think it will be this regardless in many ways.  Where Lucas was the creator of the originals and thus did not approach the prequels from the perspective of love of the originals,  JJ Abrams may very well be a fan of the universe that the originals set-up.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2014, 13:35 »

All of the leaks I've been reading plot wise I think make some interesting choices. I'm not usually a JJ fan but the footage has energy to it.  Practical sets as much as possible, full scale falcon, etc.

Boyega is the real deal, I saw him at a screening of attack the block the kid is going to be huge.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2014, 13:53 »

The very model of a British Minmatarian

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2014, 18:04 »

Saw it on Friday, it looks... meh.

Don't get me wrong, the visuals are absolutely stunning and the funky lightsaber didn't upset me at all (maybe because I'm used to seeing even worse). It's just... I can't bring myself to see anything particularly unique or special in these.

And honestly, I still can't believe Disney fucked the entire Expanded Universe for this.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Norrin Ellis

• Manager, EVE Online Hold'Em
  • Wetgraver
    • EVE Online Hold'Em
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2014, 18:28 »

I really didn't like the new Star Trek, and I have serious doubts that Abrams will deliver with Star Wars.  Kudos to him for getting his hands on both iconic nerd franchises, though.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2014, 19:51 »

Honestly, I wasn't even impressed in the slightest by this so-called "teaser." It was little more than a generic, stereotypical ominous voice-over, a couple shots of iconic ships and associated sound effects, and a bastard-saber. If you're going to call it a teaser, it damn well better actually do some teasing.

That's not to say I don't want to see the movie or didn't give a shit about it in the first place, but this clip didn't really make me any more interested in seeing it or impatient for its release.

On the bright side, it didn't do the opposite, either.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2014, 23:17 »

Honestly, I wasn't even impressed in the slightest by this so-called "teaser." It was little more than a generic, stereotypical ominous voice-over, a couple shots of iconic ships and associated sound effects, and a bastard-saber. If you're going to call it a teaser, it damn well better actually do some teasing.

That's not to say I don't want to see the movie or didn't give a shit about it in the first place, but this clip didn't really make me any more interested in seeing it or impatient for its release.

On the bright side, it didn't do the opposite, either.

Yeah this.

I do have high hopes for the continuation of Star Wars though, but not because of this trailer. Lucas has had the franchise bent over a chair in skywalker ranch for decades now, working it in the ass without lube. Overall, Disney is not a bad company, and J.J. Abrams is not a bad director. I've pretty high hopes that they can pull the series back towards its roots.

Also I don't really mind them pushing out the expanded universe. It mind of jumped the shark a bit when the Tyrannids Yuuzhan Vong invaded.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2014, 03:24 »

If only the Vongs were the worst thing that happened to the expanded universe...  :roll:

Anyway, dark horse comics tended to prove 10 times better than novels usually. Not always, but a lot more quality in there. And that's about those that i'm a bit pissed to see them going to the thrashbin because of :disney:

That, and Star Wars 1313.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:37 »

they probably ruled that all the expanded universe stuff wasn't canon, so that they have a much simpler time regarding the merchandise rights and all that.

throw out the EU stuff, they don't have to pay any of the authors of EU stuff a single coin.

if they used any of the EU stuff, there'd be arguments about whether it was true to "the vision", and so on and so forth, lots of people having to be consulted etc. Changes to a script would make people say "that character wouldn't do that!" and so on. There'd be authors popping up to denounce the new films, if they felt their EU works weren't being used appropriately, or rewarded.

so, by wiping out the EU stuff, they have full control over licencing and all that, and it's legally much, much simpler.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2014, 05:32 »

Perhaps, but this has already happened actually. When they suddenly decided with the novels to go on a killing spree on the main EU characters lineage in ABY +20-25 because it suddenly added drama (well drama is good but you have to know when to stop), the decision was actually made by the publisher and the authors that were working for her at the time. The characters that got killed were actually characters belonging and created by previous authors, like Timothy Zhan. And I read that the latter was quite pissed when he heared of it, but he just said he was disappointed... After all, what could he possibly do besides it ? Legally, all those authors own nothing. I'm not sure there is special intellectual property laws in the US besides your usual copyright laws. And copyrights are owned by the ones owning the rights to the license, which is not the authors.

For people not afraid of spoilers i'm referring about this :

[spoiler]With the Vong saga they suddenly got the idea to kill a main character, but not the too important ones, but sufficiently important because he was part of the original trilogy : the sidekick, aka the wookie. It went all drama and all, with Anakin Solo blaming himself for his death, and they decided that they liked that. A bit too much, so they started to kill off everyone, starting with Anakin Solo (to much anger of the fans), and then proceeded with other characters like Mara Jade, killed by Jacen Solo turning loldark, and the killing of Mara Jade, who is a character that originally appeared in the first Timothy Zhan's novels back in 1992. Well, Chewbacca was liked because he was an original character from the trilogy, Anakin Solo was kindof liked because he was cool, but Mara Jade was a very popular icon, and her author was as you might guess not quite pleased when they decided to kill her off without even asking him first.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2014, 05:35 by Lyn Farel »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2014, 08:41 »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2014, 09:14 »

To be clearer, I have absolutely no issue with Disney deciding to wipe the continuity slate clean for their movies. I'll be the first to admit that the EU was a colossal mess in many respects, and Disney's choice not to try to integrate everything out there makes perfect sense.

My issue is Disney deciding that not just is the old-Canon not reflected in the movies, but it will not mater at all. It's simply gone, tossed by the wayside, no longer relevant, completely tossed out. Still got a good story you want to write the Lucas-Canon? Tough luck, no work for you. No more copies of the good novels (Zahn, Stackpole, Karpyshyn), no more issues of the good comics, no remakes of the good games, no more anything.

And, that is frustrating to me, because it means that all the collective community efforts people put together to developing that universe - all that love and thought people did put towards it - has just been dropped out by the trash as well.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2014, 11:24 »

In my best Raz Al Goul voice:

"Sometimes a cleansing fire is needed to purge the decadant and corrupt."

Let's not kid ourselves 90% of EU was utter garbage. 

Dark horse comics were one of the few bright spots, but the novels were all downhill.

As much as we might have liked a movie version of dark empire or heir to the empire it wasn't gonna happen. 

Although I'm calling cumberbatch as a retconned Thrawn right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6