Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII  (Read 16677 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2014, 19:04 »

I guess I've just had so many years of hating on Star Wars (since prequels) that I'm ready to have a good time again.

One thing I appreciate about these new films is the commitment to real, physical sets, and props.  So that's a full size Falcon, actual constructed bases and hangars, all that jazz, real location shoots, etc.  Obviously there will be much CGI but the leaked stuff I've been seeing is refreshing in a worn out, beat up Episode IV kind of way.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2014, 20:38 »

Let's not kid ourselves 90% of EU was utter garbage. 

Dark horse comics were one of the few bright spots, but the novels were all downhill.

I guess it's a glass half-full/half-empty. I prefer to focus on the gems, others prefer to focus on the shit that surrounds them.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2014, 20:47 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

So accurate it's sad :P

Esna:

When the EU was firing on all cylinders it was because it was staying away from the original trilogy timeline straightjacket.  Let's go back and tell a story 1,000 years before Star Wars with the Old Republic and come up with a ton of new stuff, etc.   

The early EU work that took place loosely around the movies time period wasn't too bad, but then they ran into a problem of making a ton of money and trying to squeeze 45 new cash-in books into an increasingly tight and crowded timeline, with horribly overused characters, and the added sin of making tiny background characters full on protagonists.  QUICK let's do a new trilogy of books with all of the original trilogy characters, and uh, what time do we have open? can we squeeze these three novels in between the last three and the ones we published last year? Is there five minutes open between that time han solo took a dump and then walked out of the falcon?  Or maybe they had a few months off after the last book we did and we can fill with another adventure covering the same ground?

I remember they did one horrible book where they did like short stories about every single background character in the mos eisly cantina scene, like that's desparate. no one cares what the one guy who didn't even have a line in the movie's backstory and motivation was, he was an alien in the background of a bar.  Give me more money, buy this book.

I checked out like 15 years ago, I didn't know it had gotten to 40k levels of absurdity:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/specialreports/novels/

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2014, 20:55 by Silas Vitalia »

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #20 on: 01 Dec 2014, 03:38 »

It was basically "Here's some star wars looking stuff. It could be a new film, it could be stuff we made because we were bored, who knows!"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #22 on: 01 Dec 2014, 13:59 »

no one cares what the one guy who didn't even have a line in the movie's backstory and motivation was, he was an alien in the background of a bar.

i heard someone say that there were like, novels, explaining the motivation of that guy that's the three-eyed goat ? and Squid Head, and maybe even Greedo too.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 01 Dec 2014, 14:56 »

Exactly right, Louella.

I think this was around when I stopped reading the books:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_from_the_Mos_Eisley_Cantina

SPACE OPERA? Screw that, you get a whole story from.... the pipe smoker?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #24 on: 01 Dec 2014, 15:15 »

I clicked that link, Silas, and various other ones, and the only bit of information I found interesting, was that the reason the Mos Eisley bartender said the droids had to get out "We don't serve their kind here", was that he considered that droids simply took up space that could otherwise be filled by paying customers, cos droids don't drink.

Lol.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #25 on: 01 Dec 2014, 17:16 »

Lyn Farel

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 16 Apr 2015, 12:49 »

Not gonna lie I felt like a goddamn kid again seeing Han and Chewie.

"We're Home"

Damn Straight.

:lol:

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 16 Apr 2015, 13:41 »

This helped answer one of the things a lot of people (myself included) had been worried about, which was that the new movies would be packed into the trend of overly-shaky, incredibly rapid 'action' shots that keep you from seeing anything.

So far, it seems like that while a little shake is present the shots are definitely trending towards the longer, slower shots the original trilogy favored.

...goddamn it, Disney. Why did you have to screw it up so badly first if you were going to produce something this good-looking?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2015, 13:58 »

These films are going to make a stupid, stupid amount of money.

Like small country GDP money
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6