Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IC/OOC barrier, yet again.  (Read 4653 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: IC/OOC barrier, yet again.
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2014, 10:23 »

@ Miz maybe they don't like you? It can be as simple as that. 

Go forth and pew

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2014, 12:49 »

Selling items is IC. If you don't get caught doing it, you have plausible deniability, and you can spin it IC however you desire.

Incidentally: old material never posted on IGS:

The Face of the Slaver:  Part II

This is a follow-up to an investigation I started late last year. The basis for my investigation was the placement of several buy orders in Republic space for slaves.

In a period of about two months, over 30,000 slaves were sold to me right in the heartlands of the Republic by 1542 different sellers in batches ranging from 1 to 323 slaves. Most sellers were Minmatar (68%) with roughly equal numbers of Caldari (12%), Gallente (11%) and Amarr pod pilots (9%).

My investigative method was to try and interview each seller and ask them four short question as soon as possible after the sale had been made. I only told them they had sold slaves to me after question number 2. In some cases where the seller was unreachable I send them the question in a mail.

Due to my duty roster, refusal of some sellers to talk to me and language barriers, only a portion of all slave sellers have been interviewed. Therefore I cannot vouch for the validity of the numbers below:

1. How do you feel about slavery and the practice of selling slaves?
68% despises and opposes it
16% is neutral about the issue
14% is in favor of slavery

Most pod pilots opposed the practice of slavery, some were even were outspoken opponents. The last group was usually quite embarassed when I confronted them with their own slave selling practices. Their vehement opposition to slavery was more a popular front than any true comitmment to the cause. This point was emphasized by me catching several TLF corp leaders and a member of an anti-slavery organization selling slaves themselves.

2. Were you aware that slavery is illegal in the Republic?
94% yes
6% no

Awareness was generally high. Only a few newly graduated pilots were unaware of the laws. The vigorous customs inspection helps to reinforce this awareness:

Hugo Din > well i got caught twicw with those slaves so wasn't putting them back in my ship lol

3. Why did you sell those slaves?
57% didn't know what else to do with them.
23% didn't want to trash (kill) them.
13% sold them for profit
7% had no need for them anymore

To my amazement, nearly everyone remembered selling the slaves clearly. Most pod pilots didn’t treat them as 'just another commodity' even though the market mechanisms do. Only a very few showed the typical pod pilot alienation of considering them as non-real people. Most pod pilots simply considered selling the slaves the least harmful way of getting rid the problem of owning some. A few batches of slaves were caught up in general 'hangar cleaning sales', but most were consciously sold.

Merdaneth > Why did you sell those slaves?
Thamystocles > my plantation burned so i didnt need them

4. How did you acquire your slaves?
79% I rescued them from Angel pirates
11% I rescued them from Caldari entrepeneurs
9% I acquired them from other sources

It is clear that the greatest threat to Matari freedom is the Angel Cartel. Slave raiding activities directly related to the Amarr Empire were nearly non-existent.

Conclusions
Most pod pilot citizens of the Republic are aware of its laws concerning slavery. Still, many of its citizens sell their own kin and will continue to do so due as long as the Republic does not provide for an easy way to return legal citizenship to the acquired slaves. Current Republic legal procedures causes tens if not hundred of thousands of citizens to remain in bondage, living out their lives locked up in pod pilot hangars or jettisoned into space for fear of being caught by roving customs patrols.

Postscript
Most of the slaves I bought have since been released to an organization who has experience in dealing with these (often traumatized) specimens.

The Face of the Slaver
http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1217598

Tribal Liberation Force corporation caught trading slaves
http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1221516

The Hand of Maak betrays its founding principles
http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1217606
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2014, 12:54 by Merdaneth »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:03 »

This thread is as bad as the ones where someone has been seen in space doing something and protests that "they were doing it oocly, not icly".

Have you tried talking to the person involved, to find out where they got the information ?
\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:17 »

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1246104

for reference, that's teh original event, almost 5 years ago.
\o/

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:23 »

There is only one place to get that information. OOC channels. There is no IC record of it anywhere because it never happened in any IC location.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:31 »

Ah, Revan...my favorite Sani Sabik. How I miss her :c
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:35 »

There is only one place to get that information. OOC channels. There is no IC record of it anywhere because it never happened in any IC location.

Well, then just consider it slander.

If you have sensitive information, always keep it under wraps, this is true for IC and OOC channels.

There is a reason people don't give out their POS password to their Titan POSses in an OOC channel.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:41 »

This thread is as bad as the ones where someone has been seen in space doing something and protests that "they were doing it oocly, not icly".

Yeah, these days I just treat absolutely everything in space as IC. Easier that way.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2014, 14:01 »

well, like I said, a while back, someone convoed me about the whole event.
 [ 2014.11.02 15:45:07 ] Louella Dougans > someone convoed me a while back about it.

asking stuff. I didn't recognise their name as anyone I knew. They seemed to know about the event. Or some parts of it.

So, my guess was someone from a few years back who's returned to EVE, and is poking things with a stick, to cause drama.

could be anyone, given how many people in that thread on the old forums that I linked, seemed to be annoyed about it.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2014, 14:23 »

Ah, Revan...my favorite Sani Sabik. How I miss her :c

Speaking of, IRL Silas was just overseas on a trip and forgot was in the same city as IRL Revan, and was sad they didn't get a drink and say hello.    And you know, plot all your IC deaths.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2014, 15:32 »

RP BATTLE STATIONS!      RP BATTLE STATIONS!      RP BATTLE STATIONS!
This sounds like a job for in-game name-n-shamin', and pew pewing for the casting of aspersions?
I looked up Valerie Valete on zkillboard.  Not worth any further attention.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2014, 15:57 »

RP BATTLE STATIONS!      RP BATTLE STATIONS!      RP BATTLE STATIONS!
This sounds like a job for in-game name-n-shamin', and pew pewing for the casting of aspersions?
I looked up Valerie Valete on zkillboard.  Not worth any further attention.

Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2014, 16:07 »

I don't think so, really.

I'm out here killing capital ships.  All that character has been recorded as doing pvp-wise is to get on a few kms in highsec with an interceptor.  I'm not going to fix my sec status to chase an inty around highsec.  I'm just not interested enough in the content generated by that character's IGS post to worry about it any further than the one post I made in response to it - which I only made out of a sense of obligation to address a thing we did 5 years ago.

I'm flattered that it's remembered and remains a thing.  That's the extent of my interest.

It's like I said in the other thread people got so upset about: if it I can't shoot at it in space, then it's not a part of my game.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 24 Nov 2014, 20:07 »

I'll just echo what others have said. In-space is always at the risk of being taken ICly. There's no reason to just not call the people in question liars ICly since there is no evidence. It is one of the characters that is taken seriously the least in the whole RP community, so you won't have any issues with people believing her.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2014, 16:36 »

[admin]Modworthy post Katacombed.  Subsequent posts left intact as they are seen as replies to the topic as a whole rather than directly to the modded post.  Thread's run its course anyway.  Locked.[/admin]

Twitter
Pages: 1 [2]