Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the higher levels of space stations are restricted to the elite, with capsuleers occupying the very top decks? (The Burning life p. 73)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: So...What should I do?  (Read 12806 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: So...What should I do?
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jun 2010, 10:24 »

I've discussed this in detail with a few people, and I have heard, and have responded to these arguments before.

1. it functions as a sensory deprivation tank, which doesn't work with my character for some reason, she is always aware of her body, which plays more off her issue with being in the pod.

The pod functions as COMPLETE sensory deprivation, it's designed basically to create an out of body experience and make the pilot feel as if they're not using a human body any more. It's there fundamentally to remove the delays of reflex action, and keeps you bio-electrically linked to your ship's core systems to ensure that your ship responds as fast as you can possibly think.

Not being connected to a capsule and immersed, and controlling both your body and ship at the same time basically negates the need for a capsule. To bring to light just one of many contradictions and strange concepts, I can't understand what your character would "see" when she was piloting in this respect, as she'd still have control over her body and her sight, yet she'd be receiving a neural intercept from the link to display the images from her camera drone.

The problem though, arises because the pod fails, to function as sensory deprivation, Nikita has actually gone and had her neural jacks rebuilt four times in an attempt to fix this, but she is always aware that she is in the tank, she is always aware that she is floating, in the dark, which causes her issues. The ship doesn't feel real to her, her brain refuses to accept that the ship is her 'body' and the sensory block fails. She panics and can't handle being in the tank.

2. The pod functions as a neural link to control the ship by, I still have the neural link, it takes a lot of mental willpower to be able to control both the body and the ship concurrently but I manage well enough.

In this case, the willpower your character would have would probably put her on the verge of being able to perform telekinesis. Out of hundreds of trillions of people in New Eden, there are a couple of million people who can be capsuleers.

They first have to have the correct genetic makeup, then they have to have a solid enough mental state to be able to cope with the stress of being neural linked. When linked, a capsuleer's mind is in complete control of a ship's core systems. We're talking trillions of calculations per second, petabytes of data being shunted through the neural link as the ship's systems communicate digitally with the capsuleer's brain.

The Neural link is in the place it is at the base of the skull for a reason. It's designed as a hard wired bio-electrical intercept that effectively hijacks the capsuleer's central nervous system where it leaves the brain close to the medulla oblongata. The capsuleer is effectively in a state of complete physical paralysis while piloting, but has intricate mental control over their craft.

99.999% of New Eden's population can't handle this influx of data, the vast majority of them either dying, or suffering the effects of the "wetgrave", also known as a mind lock, where the state of paralysis remains once they're unhooked from the neural jack. Capsuleers have that extra sliver of "neural bandwidth", lets call it that for simplicity, that lets them do what they do.

Effectively, by claiming to have full control over both your ship and body at the same time, you're claiming to have double the mental capacity of a capsuleer. That's something that's never been heard of, your character would be one of a kind, and a god among demi-gods. Not even the most successful sovereign leaders can claim that.

There is actually an answer to this, and its not that she has a retarded amount of willpower, its that she's circumvented the need for it. She's rebuilt the neural relays and core computing protocols, so that her brain ceases to be the central processing unit for the ship, and is just a top domain level user. Instead of having absolute and complete control over the ship, the core computer, which I had already stated she had massively upgraded, is in direct autonomous control of the ship. She then uses the neural link to inject commands for the ship to follow. This is augmented with physical controls to reduce any latency in the connections.
This effectively means she doesn't need to perform billions upon billions of mental operations per second, the computer handles that, and she simply injects commands into it (which, truth be told, is closer to eve gameplay then the prime fiction)
It is still difficult to do stuff with both her body and the ship at the same time, but the amount of willpower required is much closer to that of a normal capsular.

3. To clone you upon death. I have built a backup burn scanner into my brainstem, using information I've gained through my consulting work on Project 514, I also I have a pod, that I can jump into if the need to leave the ship arises, but for everyday things, I don't need to be in it. my pods are also personally modified to be well lit inside, and gravimetrically stabilized, instead of using ferrofluid in the dark.

The burn scanner is something that's detailed quite heavily in several pieces of prime fiction. If I can find links to them I'll dig them up and post them here. In a nutshell (or an eggshell, if you want a pun), the technology comes from the Jovian Directorate. It was first handed to Ishukone many years ago in a trade deal, and was so sought after than Ishukone rose from being the bastard child runt corporation of the Caldari State to being one of the largest and most successful corporations in the Liberal bloc.

To this day, the tech is so advanced that it's still not an exact science. There are still fuckups, and capsuleers who're tried and tested, and fully qualified occasionally still end up mind locked. The premise is simple. The burn scanner watches for a breach in the hull of the capsule, monitoring its state thousands of times a second to make sure that the process is instant. On detecting a breach, the burner fires, and creates a neural backup of the capsuleer's brain in its exact state at that precise point in time. (Imagine a computer locking up hard, and then a piece of external software making a note of the on/off status of every single transistor of the hundreds of millions that are on the die of the CPU, and pulling a hard copy of the contents of the system's RAM.) That's projected to your cloning facility for download into your waiting clone.

The equipment is bulky, heavy and extremely sensitive, being able to be triggered by slight changes in pressure. Walking around with it on wouldn't be advised. That's why it's fitted to the capsule to give it the most stable platform possible to operate from. The videos for Incarna show us that it's also not just a case of "jumping into" a capsule. It's a process that takes time and a lot of technological know-how. It's easy enough to get in and out of, but it's not like jumping in the bath.

As for a pod being well lit, and stabilised with artificial gravity, there's little point to it given the control a vessel has over your nervous system. With regards to it not being filled with fluid, even the concept of this really doesn't make sense. Fluid pressure will always overcome gas pressure. A liquid in general terms cannot be compressed (some will argue that it can, by microns, and this is true, however we're talking in general laymens terms), while a gas can. This means that hydraulic (liquid) pressure is always more stable than pneumatic (gas) pressure, hence the prevalent use of hydraulics over pneumatics in heavy industry. Hell, sometimes people even use "air over oil" systems, with the liquid force of the oil giving the actuation and the gas pressure giving a damping effect.

Now take this fact into space, where we meet temperature and pressure differences that can vary in the best case by thousands of degrees and the situation gets very ugly for the sensitivity of the neural burner.

As for how cloning will work with DUST's ground troops, that's yet to be seen. I've heard talk that it's going to be based around pre-mission soft scan backups to retain memory and skills, rather than mobile neural burning equipment. Hell, they could even do a wierd take on Avatar and use clones remotely controlled from the war-barge if they wanted to. A lot of it is up in the air right now.

I'll be honest with this, I have looked into the Prime Fiction, and I am just guessing as to how they did it, so yes, this arguement is valid to some extent, if it turns out the tech has gotten to the point where it can be miniaturized and stuck in someone's head, well I'll take that as permission to do it the way I am, but we really can't know one way or another until that happens.

As for the pod, gravity is not gas pressure, gravity is mass pressure, if the outside of the pod is exerting between 1.5 and 2 gees of force on her body to hold it in place in the pod, she is going to be anchored there just as securely as if she was floating in pod goo.
But what it does mean, is that there is no load unload time for getting into and out of the pod, it simply opens up, she jumps in, the gravity generators activate and she's held in the center of the pod.

Now that I've made my counter arguments, I'm going to do something strange, and say that for the most part, you are completely right, and I fully understand where you are coming from.

But I don't like it, I don't want my character to be stuck in a pod, a major point of her as a character, and something I really liked about the way I wrote her, is that she does manual work, she tinkers, she fixes things herself, she wanders around her ship, and stares at the stars out the bridge windows.
I don't really know how to fix her, but I agree, there are things that need to be fixed.
So how do I do it without breaking fiction? How do I make the character I want, without making one that no one wants to interact with?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:05 »

Androids are mentioned in PF.
Camera drones also mentioned.

When "Nikita" is doing all the "does manual work, she tinkers, she fixes things herself, she wanders around her ship, and stares at the stars out the bridge windows"

How about...

Android body, with camera drone telemetry link to the "real" Nikita who is in her pod/pod-substitute-technology-thing.
That way, when "you" are wandering around, it's actually a remote-controlled android, controlled via the pod interface?

Hey, it could even be a flesh & blood remote controlled body. A Nikita clone, with a TransCranialMicroController and other devices fitted to replace the brain and provide the remote control?

how about that?
\o/

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:28 »

Hey, it could even be a flesh & blood remote controlled body. A Nikita clone, with a TransCranialMicroController and other devices fitted to replace the brain and provide the remote control?

...now that's a cool idea.

Vieve

« Reply #18 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:40 »

Seriously, this just doesn't have to be that freaking complicated.

If Nikita's not doing combat operations (I presume from the descriptions so far that she's not a combat pilot), just say she's unplugged.  She's got raging claustrophobia that she just can't get over/get fixed or she has no desire to do either, so she wants to be in a pod as little as possible.  She's not connected to her ship by any means other than perhaps a skulljack clipped into a datapad link.  She has a mundane or automated crew, just like the majority of the NPC ships do. 

In that state, she can wander around aboard ship and tinker and look at stars all she wants.

She may or may not suffer warp sickness.

She will be less awesome at piloting her ship than someone who's in a pod.  Really.  Just look at all those NPC ships that get blown up every day.  Being less awesome, however, doesn't mean she can't learn how to be sneakier in order to compensate for her handicaps.

If her ship gets blown up, say she gets to an escape pod in time.  If that gets blown up, then she's dead.  She doesn't have a memory burner in her skull or even worn as a stylish hat.   She may have a 'suicide closet' aboard her escape pod.   Using the closet may not be a smooth a process as employing the neural burner fitted inside a capsuleering pod:  she may suffer interesting side effects once she comes out the other end.

If she doesn't have a suicide closet -- if she's had the foresight to get a soft copy done when she's not in a panicked-running-for-the-closet-while-tripping-over-dying/malfunctioning-crew state, those memories can be inserted into a clone.  She'll have memory gaps, of course, how long depending upon when the copy was done.

But not being in a pod, not being fully integrated with a ship if one is a combat pilot?  Eh. 
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 12:44 by Vieve »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jun 2010, 12:45 »

But not being in a pod, not being fully integrated with a ship if one is a combat pilot?  Eh.

Too bad the InOps corp recruitment ad states: "I fully intend to have regular jaunts into lowsec, 0.0, and highsec wardecs, if you are not prepared to be involved in combat, and lots of it, then this is probably not the corp for you."

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jun 2010, 15:22 »

But I don't like it, I don't want my character to be stuck in a pod, a major point of her as a character, and something I really liked about the way I wrote her, is that she does manual work, she tinkers, she fixes things herself, she wanders around her ship, and stares at the stars out the bridge windows.
I don't really know how to fix her, but I agree, there are things that need to be fixed.
So how do I do it without breaking fiction? How do I make the character I want, without making one that no one wants to interact with?

Do you not want her stuck in a pod because you want her to tinker/wander the ship/etc?

You might decide how much you are willing to compromise your ideas for your character in order to get wider opportunities for interaction. On the other hand, it is possible that we can come up with stuff that doesn't compromise her as much as you might fear.

Just as an example, it isn't an uncommon thing to want to be able to have a character walks around a ship outside the pod when the ship is in space. There are less absolute solutions than the character not using a pod, though.

I guess I'm trying to see if these things that myself and others would feel were difficult to reconcile with the way we RP are a central part of the character, or whether you created them to facilitate other things you liked about the character?

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jun 2010, 15:36 »

Seriously, this just doesn't have to be that freaking complicated.

If Nikita's not doing combat operations (I presume from the descriptions so far that she's not a combat pilot), just say she's unplugged.  She's got raging claustrophobia that she just can't get over/get fixed or she has no desire to do either, so she wants to be in a pod as little as possible.  She's not connected to her ship by any means other than perhaps a skulljack clipped into a datapad link.  She has a mundane or automated crew, just like the majority of the NPC ships do. 

In that state, she can wander around aboard ship and tinker and look at stars all she wants.

She may or may not suffer warp sickness.

She will be less awesome at piloting her ship than someone who's in a pod.  Really.  Just look at all those NPC ships that get blown up every day.  Being less awesome, however, doesn't mean she can't learn how to be sneakier in order to compensate for her handicaps.

This.

If this is just a case not wanting to be plugged in and roaming around the ship in fashion reminiscent of more convential SciFi, this is the obvious solution. No aggravating the PF-minded involved. But well, if it is something else as well.. then it's different. But if it's as stated by Nik earlier, this is the most elegant solution.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jun 2010, 15:44 »

I have to ask something here. This is not trolling, this is not a flame this is just a question.

Are you asking because you are looking for a way to adjust your RP to better be accepted by your peers, or are you asking so that you can find out what peoples' disagreements are in order to justify your decision you've already made?

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2010, 18:51 »

What's to stop her doing manual work, but piloting from the capsule?

She could be sat in dock doing manual work all day if she wanted, or she could come out of the capsule while in safe space, and walk around aboard her ship, watch the stars from the windows of her tactical bridge, chill out, relax, have some fun or get greasy in the engineering decks. There's nothing to stop her doing that.

There's nothing at all to say that she can't do each and every one of those things, without having to sacrifice prime fiction and being in control of a ship via a capsule when she needs to pilot.

That's where every bit of your logic fails for me, and it just seems like wanting to pilot with out a capsule is from some strange need to break the mould.

If that's the case, then there are thousands of ways to break the mould without completely contravening prime fiction.  :)

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #24 on: 07 Jun 2010, 19:16 »

As for the pod, gravity is not gas pressure, gravity is mass pressure,

This wasn't what I was claiming or getting at, at all. You completely misinterpreted my point.

Regardless, your post is pretty much the set of answers I expected. It's pretty obvious that you don't want to change your character, despite it punching massive holes in Prime Fiction.

All I can say is that I suggest you read far more of the fiction, and dig in really deep if you ever decide to create an alt or another character.

As for interaction, I'm certainly not going to try and beat you down despite what people have pointed out. I doubt that most people will try to. It's your choice if you want to make life RPing more difficult for yourself for the sake of problems that can be solved with a little reading into PF and taking some advice from people who've been there and done it so to speak.

My advice is that if you don't want to change your character, which it seems is the case despite this thread, then ignore the people who blatantly blank you or try to troll you in character. Problem is, there's more than likely going to be a lot of people saying "wow, what a basket case" when they come into contact with you IC.

Vieve

« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2010, 19:59 »

Too bad the InOps corp recruitment ad states: "I fully intend to have regular jaunts into lowsec, 0.0, and highsec wardecs, if you are not prepared to be involved in combat, and lots of it, then this is probably not the corp for you."

See above comment about tripping over panicking/malfunctioning/exploding crew members. 

Thanks for reading that recruitment ad.  I failed to do so.  :P

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jun 2010, 20:28 »

Verone writes here the sort of stuff I would be proud to write on the subject if I could summon the patience anymore.

I will only say this. It's not a flame, it is a fact.

When I blow up your ship, a capsule will come out, and you will be controlling it. This pod will probably attempt to accelerate to 130m/s, which in your well-lit and empty pod, would turn you into chunky salsa. A single kinetic round or missile will have a similar effect. You will be perma-dead at this point, as your magical onboard brainscan equipment will also be dashed into similar bits, transforming the salsa into a delicious crunchy variety.

Then I will pop the pod and grab the frozen corpse.

If you were to attempt to explain to me that the things I know to be true about what I saw and what I do on a regular basis are wrong simply because you wrote a way around them, I may not be inclined to keep the channel open.

This is only one example, and for some reason I can imagine you in the act of formulating a reason why this would not be. That's ok, but unnecessary.

You have the RIGHT to RP any way you like. The rest of us, however, are not bound in any way to accept your explanations, and anyone refusing to do so is in the RIGHT as well. A demand that players ignore PF to suit your story is something you can ask, but the list of good RPers who are likely to do so will probably be low, which seems to be the case for you already.

A retorting list of ways that you have written your way around such rules isn't that likely to change that many minds on this matter.

DO what you WANT.
But so will we.

« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 20:38 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #27 on: 08 Jun 2010, 03:21 »

This thread needs to fucking watch it. A lot of vets are being less than useful here. I'm seeing pears in the immediate future - stewed pears, cooking beneath the surface of some dark, syrup-thick morass in a cauldron.

It's not in the details, guys. We're asked for advice on what to do next - where to go from here.

This is the character development forum section. Pack the PF discussion in for ten seconds and think of character traits moar. That whole first page was a preamble about how we're not all jerks, or absolutely magical hemming and hawing about prime fiction line-toeing or the lack thereof based on the science of a culture with thousands of years more time to develop than anything we've seen.

It's kind of like my D6 Star Wars GM buddy said, though...I suppose some paraphrasing and reframing of the remarks for EVE would bring about something like this: in the end, the tech-talk is about your comfort level with the degree to which your thought-framework for all this shit is internally consistent. That's all well and good, but it does not help this community member with her question. She has not been privy to seven, or even two, years of intense and painstaking geekery on certain other forums where we toiled to make sense of the dross and capriciousness CCP's writers would put before us; she will not possibly glean their benefits in the space of this thread - at least, not without being sort of turned off by it all and ending up disinclined to see things our way. This is because WE developed our near-consensus slowly in a fashion that made it ours, and she did not. Our feelings of ownership are not shared here, and may never be.

Our knowledge of how far back this structure of justifications goes, how deep it is submerged below the surface of what is presently visible at face value (which is itself not shared due to a terrific lack of usefully summarial materials which present arguments rather than simply contradicting people, in the sense that a contradiction is an argument minus supporting points and evidence, roughly), and so on do not come through in the space available. The newcomers just see the iceberg's cap as it floats above the rather fluid perceptions we have of the past to jut into the present view in the form of our forthright recitations of some personally written gospel, and then we all maybe get in a shitfight-by-proxy. When we don't, we do something worse: we become extremely polite about saying things as brutal as 'I'm not going to hang with you because the background you have constructed for your fake identity, which may not be representative of your entertainment value or your capacity to bring something to the table during collaborative roleplaying, does not jive with my preferred take on things and would distract me from scratching my usual nerd itch.'

This is not the best way to go about spreading the consensus. Hell, in a game with this badly fragmented a demographic of players that share this playstyle, it's downright disruptive.

Anyway. A quick point.

...now that's a cool idea.

Jump.

Clones.

Yoshito style.

Aside from that -

Nikita, if you're still reading this thread, number one deal is that it's almost never worth the sense of having sunk a cost - drowned it, really - when you dump or cease to be able to enjoy having a specific character because of peer responses.

I advise you to consider your options. They are related to what would make you happiest with the situation as follows, from most irksome to least in my experience:

1) Potentially the suckiest option: decide that being keelhauled by peer pressure and blocking every other player you meet in the community because of their playstyle is too irritating and start over, wherein you either biomass a char with umpteen skillpoints or throw out the story with the bathwater. Yeah, its been done before as a story culmination as Scagga suggests, and it's something that works best when the player is unhappy with the prospect of ending their character to a pretty significant extent, or happy with the prospect of doing so. It worked for Nooey, in particular.

2) Potentially the second-most problematic option in the long run for someone who has just gained access to a bunch of roleplayer hotspots featuring fellow backstory sponges: tell 'em all to get fucked, and put up with the troubling lack of playmates by working on your social networking until you find some. I'll be around, anyway. Us cyberpunk folks be down.

3) The more challenging options, but those that have produced the most reward in people I've observed, begin here: Slowly, and with great attention to detail paid to character consistency - and most importantly, on your terms, join the larger consensus. BUT. Do it in the way that half the fucking contributors to this thread have done it: contribute something to the thought system which adds to the broader group. I suppose this is my favorite option and sort of a nice topic, so I'm going to ramble on about it for a while.

Anyway. Growth of background material.

(Now, the following are just sort of off-the-cuff and from memory, so forgive me if I didn't hit on all your major accomplishments or whatever, but.)

Verone did it by dint of his exploration of pirate politics and his engineering wankery. It was amusing to say the least, and occasionally insightful :P

Kaleigh did it by exploring the rather fertile ground of broader Gallentean culture.

Vieve did it by having all this shit come up with carnivorous, closet-inhabiting plants, and relationships, and soap operas with guns, and older women who tore up political bullshit.

Graelyn did it by framing a broad platform for the liberal-progressive insider in his faction, which is a massive old-boy-network.

Silver did it by slow expansion first of Caldari concepts generally using interpolation from PF and then by taking part in the Sansha lore explosion, some of which created very fond memories between my ears relating to mildly-charged arguments on the Summit and in other channels where he would attempt to cleverly justify and spin Nation shit back before anyone had HEARD of Soter's little operation, and I would make him uncomfortable.

And so on. All these shifty, opinionated bastards, at one time or another, did something that was out there and raised up a sand bar close to the shores of our little island of knowledge. With careful work, they took their wacky shit and added to the game for the rest of us.

You can help by integrating your subject matter of choice, if you like. You can, if you want, write something thoughtful and exploratory and expansive that makes some of this black magic you're currently practicing in the eyes of your fellows not only plainly valid (through careful contextual positioning in the PF), but also viable as a character trope for others to follow - we have too few information-warfare centric characters as it is.

This is because one of the unwritten rules of EVE roleplay is, the better written or presented and more carefully and versimilitudinously (christ, that word is scary) rationalized (read: entertaining for nerds) an outlandish or seemingly ill-fitting concept is, the more broadly it will be accepted.

Basically, if you share your story well, we'll forget all about the fact that it has shit in there that's like, where the fuck did THAT come from?

You know how I know? 'Cause I've done it.

But I would suggest that you try to come to terms with the idea that some things are either less than necessary or won't make the cut when you bring your character to it's next stable state.

For example, a lot of shit I threw together on my own before I came to test it in roleplay was found, sooner or later, to have little purpose.

Who gave a damn that my character was possessed of an extensive theological education? Much of the cluster was secular, and most capsuleers are on GalNet so much they may as well have a library in their heads anytime they like.

The military training was also slowly pushed way to the back in my roleplay; it was just some less-than-uncommon violence shit. Even the poorest egger can hire a fuckton of marines.

The disease I had my character develop for the sake of altering her was eventually treated and cured (in an ongoing storyline, maintaining the consistency of the character despite the groaning weight of her many improbable traits) for two reasons - first, it became less than fun to have a sick character be sick all the fucking time, and second, it served little purpose outside of being some predictable function of my roleplay. I cut it out of my main with a dull knife.

And the more out-there stuff, the stuff I'm keeping quiet about? I haven't retconned that because I figured that 1) it'd be a challenge to find a way to integrate the weird stuff as well as possible, and 2) retconning is shit, and so is starting over or abandoning one's work. It's just stuff that my character keeps quiet about because it's to my character's benefit to keep quiet about these things.

Ask yourself precisely what purpose all your character traits serve, Nikita. ALL of them.

As it is, the function of a couple of them is to start arguments. This makes them potentially worth assessing or potentially worth keeping, preferably (in my view) in slow, dynamic arcs that shift your character to new positions, which also helps maintain a semblance of life.

While some arguments should be started, others are foregone conclusions and bore-fests. While some traits serve to consistently amuse you, some serve to make things more repetitive, more predictable, more cookie cutter. In some cases, more unpleasant.

You really want to have to play someone who is fucking crazy some of the time, for example? Who is possessed of significant deviations in capacity? Who is prone to wear the same look everywhere they go, or has inexplicable failures to learn to deal with certain environments commonly dealt with by most people in their demographic? Go right ahead. But you're getting potentially all the roleplay you could ever want now; there is literally ALWAYS roleplay available to you once you know about this forum at ANY time you log into the game.

How many closely-spaced hours of repetition do you think those traits, the ones that at first amused you and kept the character interesting or outlandish for you, will manage to keep you entertained for now?

Anything examined too closely will lose its meaning; one can become jaded to anything that is waved in one's face with sufficient regularity. You're not gonna think that much of mexican standoffs as a novel or interesting plot device if you're always getting into them, without fail.

Also, every last one of the bizarre qualities you're getting shit about can be the subject of countless hours of quality roleplay as you plumb the depths of why it is so outlandish, how to polish the core concepts put forth in it to the point where it is well accepted because it is A-material fiction, and what it implies for New Eden at large once re-contextualized properly.

Some things to think on, anyhow.

Holy shit I went on in this poast.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2010, 03:49 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #28 on: 08 Jun 2010, 03:37 »

Just saw this.

Ashar regularly makes appearances on her ship while in the pod through the use of holoprojection technology and sophisticated drone equipment.

The explanation for why she does it is something like Sherlock Holmes with his pipe; it can help her think.

The how is relatively simple as well; she'll run a piece of software over some tiny scrap of the massive processing power of the ship's CPU to handle the holoprojection's movements and mannerisms, and when she doesn't need to pay attention to the camera feed, she'll upload a captured vidfeed from the projection drone and nearby cameras to her visual input through ship systems.

Dockside, she'll be down with tinkering with shit often enough.

An example would be something like this - with thirty hisec waypoints planned, Ashar gets bored sitting in a pod. She loads up her holoprojection on deck number whatever; a holoprojection drone or system activates in the appropriate room and a fraction of ship processing power takes care of animating it just enough to make it understandable to the crew. A few speakers near the holoprojectors or a good PA system and she can talk to her subordinates; up to the minute recording near her location and she can see, hear, and so forth. If she looks out porthole #783456, so does a small camera drone.

...And the burning scanner in your neck can be a recording device that continually shunts neural data into a databank located in a safe location, saving memories and therefore a kind of personality continuity onto disk akin to the Jovian in Theodicy.

Best to ALSO have the genuine article in-pod, but it's not your only failsafe.

Anyway, I suppose we all have ideas, but I'm going to bed now.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #29 on: 08 Jun 2010, 08:34 »

versimilitudinously

Fucking what?  :lol:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5