Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: So...What should I do?  (Read 12767 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: So...What should I do?
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jun 2010, 19:14 »

*a lot of stuff seeming inconsistent with the thread title "So... What should I do?"*
Is this thread about a less experienced RPer asking for advice on how to make their character concept more accessible, or about someone waving their "Screw PF, Just make stuff up!" flag defiantly in the face of the community like the WBC at a Pride rally?  Because from where I sit, the tone of your posts is changing from frustrated open-mindedness to "No, YOU'RE wrong for following PF at all; I don't want to have anything to do with that, my way is totally better!!!11".

And I have to say, it's very Mary Sue.  There's only ONE discernable character flaw: omg she has a conscience, NO capsuleer has a conscience, what the heck is going on here, I never!  And from this single "flaw" you've created a lot of "this character is the best at x, y and z/smartest/most genious/beautiful and unique snowflake.
My post, here quoted was reported.  Soon, one of the other Backstage staffers will PM the person who reported my post regarding their decision on what to do with it.  For everyone else's benefit, it was determined that my post, while aggressive in tone, did not cross any of Backstage's lines.  However, I was asked to clarify... fair enough.

Before I do so, though, I would like to take the opportunity to point out that if any of you see a mod or admin make a post that seems to break this forum's rules, REPORT IT!  Currently there are five staffers here.  If you report one, that leaves four and it only takes one of them to moderate a post.  If some ridiculously bad chain of events leads to a number of legitimate reports being made against a staffer (and the report against my post WAS legitimate, just not found to be of actionable severity), we'll deal with the situation when it arises but I think it's safe to say that person wouldn't be a mod very long.

With that out of the way, to clarify my point:

I pointed out what I see as being mary-sue about the character (one flaw, which is actually a "good trait" under normal circumstances, and a lot of super awesome bonus features).  Some of you will have played in systems that had "Merits" and "Flaws".  Merits cost a certain amount of 'points' at chargen and 'flaws' had a negative cost.. a 2pt flaw and a 2pt merit would cancel each other out so that you still had your full point budget.  The character described by the OP has a 1-point flaw (and that's being generous) to counteract several multiple-point merits.  The OP also says she's been careful not to create a mary-sue.  I disagree.

I also disagree with the way the OP took an argumentative/defensive turn somewhere along the way after a couple of people gave a comforting back-pat so to speak in the form of "There's no 'wrong' way to roleplay" (which IS true, mind), when the thread started out as asking for advice on how to make the character more palatable to interact with for other players.

Based on the OP's last post, it seems she's gotten something of what she was looking for out of this thread, and that's good.  I don't read the IGS regularly at the moment, but I hope the discussion's generated good roleplay opportunities.  Lastly, I enjoyed reading several of the posts here; Verone's "from the perspective of a RL engineer" was especially good. 

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]