Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Re: Starting Over OOCly  (Read 10572 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Re: Starting Over OOCly
« Reply #105 on: 07 Oct 2014, 10:33 »

As usual, a Western media-induced perception of Sharia law only focuses on a very specific interpretation of it. Akin to only seeing certain Biblical principles through the eyes of the Westboro Baptist Church, Dominionist Christian theologians, or other extremists. Sharia law is not conceived of or interpreted in one specific way throughout the entirety of the Muslim world - which is the underlying problem with approaches such as yours. It declares the Muslim majority world a homogenous entity that can be characterized in one specific way: akin to the Taliban or ISIS. The vast majority of Muslims despise those entities just as much as the West, but they are ignored by the West because it is easier to spread fear and hate about all Muslims than it is to educate oneself about the Muslim majority world.

I think this will be my last contribution to the thread, though. I'm not paid to educate people on forums and I don't trust myself to continue much further without getting upset.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #106 on: 07 Oct 2014, 11:08 »

As usual, a Western media-induced perception of Sharia law only focuses on a very specific interpretation of it. Akin to only seeing certain Biblical principles through the eyes of the Westboro Baptist Church, Dominionist Christian theologians, or other extremists. Sharia law is not conceived of or interpreted in one specific way throughout the entirety of the Muslim world - which is the underlying problem with approaches such as yours. It declares the Muslim majority world a homogenous entity that can be characterized in one specific way: akin to the Taliban or ISIS. The vast majority of Muslims despise those entities just as much as the West, but they are ignored by the West because it is easier to spread fear and hate about all Muslims than it is to educate oneself about the Muslim majority world.

I think this will be my last contribution to the thread, though. I'm not paid to educate people on forums and I don't trust myself to continue much further without getting upset.

This is simply not true. You are trying to brush legitimate criticism under the blanket of Islamophobia. '
The criticism I just highlighted are current laws in countries like Saudi-Arabia and Afghanistan. Stop attempting to veil legitimate criticism as simple western ignorance its simply not true.

Current Countries that use Sharia Law
-Please feel free to look at the ones in Purple that still use Sharia Law in its totality as the all encompassing system of Justice it was originally designed to be.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2014, 11:15 by Vizage »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #107 on: 07 Oct 2014, 12:48 »

I think I lost the track of what people were trying to demonstrate in the first place.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #108 on: 07 Oct 2014, 13:10 »

I think so have they.

Refer to OPost for reference.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #109 on: 07 Oct 2014, 13:16 »

I think I lost the track of what people were trying to demonstrate in the first place.
Amarr Empire is bad guy faction.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #110 on: 07 Oct 2014, 14:12 »

Amarr Empire is bad guy faction.

which guess what

Thats a topic derailment that's leading into horrifically OOC RL inflammatory topics.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #111 on: 07 Oct 2014, 15:33 »

Just a few point: The list of names - if we start with Al-Kindi (*801) and look up to Maimonides (†1200) we look at a time span of 400 years. So, if you let the Islamic Golden age end in the 11th century at least the later ones I cited were active after the 'decline'. Point is: The Islamic Golden Age wasn't a mayfly. It didn't stop with Al-Farabi's death in 951! There were still - if you count the 12th century as belonging to the Golden Age, for which there are good reasons - 250 years of quite busy activity in the whole islamic cultural sphere. And as people didn't live up to 400 years back then, strictly speaking they all weren't contemporaries. At all.

That most of the people I named took up the works of the greeks as their foundation is true: It makes my point that Islamic philosophy is a branch of western philosophy. Hell, even Wikipedida does list Islamic Philosophy under 'Western Philosophy'. (Not that this means much.)

I don't say that all was nice and cozy, but: Even Al-Ghazali with his fundamental critique is firmly sitting within western philosophical tradition and it's practice of rational criticism. His entire tretise is a reaction to philosophers. He is, shortly speaking, not thinkable without the ones he reacts to, he plays the same game. I mean, it's not like we don't count the Sceptics as western philosophers, because they were... uh critically questioning others before and contemporary with them.

Also: If you ask "is there anything x was able to contribute", then you are allowed to cherry pick. After all the question is "What are the cherries we should've picked there?". Your claim is, there weren't any cherries to pick, when in fact, they were there. It's after all not about whether one should accept shariah in general, but whteher there were lement in islamic ethics which we should have taken over. And yes: We should have seen taken from them the idea that women can own property, instead of only accepting that idea after women had to fight for it.

lastly, as to the influence of islamic humanis and Renaissance philosophy I refer to books like "Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance" (George Saliba, 2007) focusing on the impulses the Renaissance got from the near east in regard to natural science and articles like "Scholasticism and Humanism in Classical Islam and the Christian West"
(George Makdisi, 1989), elucidating the relationship of Renaissance Humanism to mediaeval Scholasticism as well as the relation to the corrspoding movements in the islamic sphere, showing convincingly that Renaissance Humanism drew on Islamic ideas.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2014, 15:37 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #112 on: 07 Oct 2014, 15:43 »

* looks at thread title*

*looks at preceding pages*

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #113 on: 07 Oct 2014, 15:45 »

There seems to be an extreme lack of moderation in this topic.

Good job to all those that participated in the derailment. Was fun to read all around. Looking forward to the next derailment!  :D

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #114 on: 07 Oct 2014, 15:49 »

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #115 on: 07 Oct 2014, 15:49 »

This will be solved.  I had enough.

Yah.  I whistleblew cause people aren't paying attention.

Come at me bro.  I'll be in VFK. :P

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Starting Over OOCly
« Reply #116 on: 07 Oct 2014, 16:10 »

[mod]A number of rule violations in here, by a wide range of participants. Rules 3 (and 3b) and 11 in particular. There may be some warnings of various levels of officialness going around later.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2014, 16:39 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]