Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Operating a manufactoring line at Carthum Conglomerate...  (Read 5804 times)

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain

Am I supporting slavery?
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!

The most extreme views I think will say that doing any business in Amarrian stations is supporting slavery.

One could argue who they have operating production lines, in this instance. Opponents might say "Carthum production lines? Slaver!", which I could counter by saying "My personal staff are attending the production line, not Carthum slaves".

So on, so forth.

I would think if you don't want it to be, there is easy handwaving to solve the problem. Mind you, opponents tend to ignore your handwaving if they're deadset on harassing you.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Kaleigh Doyle

SLLLLLAAAAAVER!

:D

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger

I would never use slaves for my manufacturing!!!

Slaves must after all be housed, feed and generally decently taken care of, medically etc, to get a decent return on investment.

Employes on the other hand you can get at minimum wages, pretrained, then when workday is over they can starve for all that you need to care about....

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Well, you pay Carthum, and Carthum uses slaves. So, yes is a supportable view.

You might not employ slaves yourself. So No is supportable too.

I mean, it's easy - character wise - to rationalize it either way. Spending money on nearly anything in Amarr space could be considered supporting slavery, ultimately. Or spending money on anything that wasn't slaves, or that doesn't directly use slaves, and so on might be considered not supporting it.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

You are supporting an infrastructure and financial system that in turn supports and upkeeps Slavery in it's financial model. This means you are supporting slavery. And for that, you need to die.

/Du'uma Fiisi 0

No, you're not directly supporting slavery. But any anti-slaver can say you do, with good backing of their words, and would thus be justified in taking action.

Kaleigh Doyle

Slippery slope reasoning. If you buy equipment or sell on the open market you support slavery,terrorism,piracy,and anything else you hate.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

What if you support terrorism?

My point is simply this: Everything can be made to look like you're supporting or being anti-something. It's simply the way of Eve. That's how it is, and that's the risk I take every time I do anything at all in this game. I'm prepared to face the consequences of it too.

Isn't that the beauty of Eve?

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many

the Only place that is black and white in EVE, is some characters opinions.

Just the way I like it.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Kazzzi

• Egger

If you are an anti-Amarrian terrorist, and Carthum lets you manufacture weapons in their station to use against the Empire, who is really at fault here?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Operating a manufactoring line at Carthum Conglomerate...
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2010, 14:36 »

CONCORD!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2010, 14:47 »

Apparently common sense is a Terran racial trait and New Eden has yet to unlock these secrets from the wormholes.    :s

Allow me to elaborate. Terrorists aren't retarded. They can see the flaw in their own logic. If they were that fanatical they wouldn't buy from the open market either and only buy from manufacturers sympathetic to their cause. How many really do that, I wonder?
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2010, 15:00 by Kaleigh Doyle »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2010, 14:55 »

No, seriously, as I understand it, they have to let all capsuleers have access to their stations and such due to CONCORD regs.

Then again, they signed up to CONCORD. Who's more the fool -- the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2010, 17:59 »

There's one way of taking care of the ones that go as far as 'if you buy Amarrian, you support slavery!'.

Simply in a covert manner, replace the fittings and modules they have in their hangar, with exact replicas that were manufactured by slaves. Then you can nonchalantly tell them, "Say... you know that shield power relay you're using there..."

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jun 2010, 18:18 »

Quote from: Gallente 'Candid Camera Drone' Presenter
We've secretly replaced Havohej's own 800mm armor plates with identical plates fabricated in the Empire by Viziam slave laborers.  Let's see if he notices!
Pages: [1] 2 3