Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: what's everyone's thoughts on these "burner" missions ?  (Read 14362 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: what's everyone's thoughts on these "burner" missions ?
« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:55 »

Some Fozzie posts after my feedback. He confirms that you should be able to do the majority of these in a t2 fit t2 ship. It'll be hard though.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4936958#post4936958

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #31 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:59 »

the blood raider one has something like a 350 dps tank, which you cannot neut out. (supposedly will be iterated on in a future expansion).
It is also immune to tracking disruption.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014, 13:04 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Dessau

« Reply #32 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:59 »

While I think it's appropriate for a solo PvP training mission to be difficult, and for significant investment to be made for a chance at small deadspace/faction module drops, this may be a situation where 'risk versus reward' turns around to bite me on the ass. I don't fly anything worth more than 40M, and if they remain in their current state as Kala describes them (ostensibly for well-off vets who are already skilled at solo frig fights), burner missions will likely be chalked up as another piece of EVE I will not experience.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2014, 13:18 »

the blood raider one, you defeat with a webby kitey thing that does > 350 dps.

Anything else won't work. Oh look, pve with an optimal solution, once solution found, no need to change.

well, that didn't take long.
\o/

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2014, 15:54 »

While I think it's appropriate for a solo PvP training mission to be difficult, and for significant investment to be made for a chance at small deadspace/faction module drops, this may be a situation where 'risk versus reward' turns around to bite me on the ass. I don't fly anything worth more than 40M, and if they remain in their current state as Kala describes them (ostensibly for well-off vets who are already skilled at solo frig fights), burner missions will likely be chalked up as another piece of EVE I will not experience.

am i mistaken in thinking you cannot run these lvl4s with a friend?

i was hoping these would server well to training bait_with_tackle+dps duo frigs...and eventually go out for PvP

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2014, 15:55 »

Nothing I've seen says you can't work in groups. It may actually be considerably easier to do so.

Dessau

« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2014, 16:09 »

Confirming I've never missioned with another player. Point well taken, though: as a small gang training tool this makes more sense to me.

Richard Masseri

• Aditipala, Kacha
  • Clonejack
« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2014, 18:26 »

They do look rather fun but definitely a tad dangerous
Richard Masseri

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 22 Aug 2014, 09:25 »

It rather does seem like CCP wants you to do them in groups, as otherwise some of them (particularly the blood one, as mentioned) require some gimped processes to get down.

Unfortunately, convincing players to give up the old "missions should be soloable, grindable content" mentality is exceedingly difficult; we've already seen people trending towards thinking up elaborate refitting schemes and processes to handle them rather than just dragging along buddies. Some of this might be a test-server-vs-live-server thing, but it's not reassuring.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #39 on: 22 Aug 2014, 13:00 »

It rather does seem like CCP wants you to do them in groups, as otherwise some of them (particularly the blood one, as mentioned) require some gimped processes to get down.

Unfortunately, convincing players to give up the old "missions should be soloable, grindable content" mentality is exceedingly difficult; we've already seen people trending towards thinking up elaborate refitting schemes and processes to handle them rather than just dragging along buddies. Some of this might be a test-server-vs-live-server thing, but it's not reassuring.

In my opinion, they are expecting you to tailor fits and tactics for specific burner missions.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2014, 13:35 »

Oh, there's no doubt about that. I think you're underestimating the degree of complexity people are going to instead of just teaming up, though.

For instance, one of the more popular ways to handle the blood one is to fly in a Worm with a purely passive shield regen fit - no weapons or offensive modules to speak of - and drop a mobile depot, then refit for drone DPS until he's worn your tank down and then refit back to passive regen when your tank has been whittled down a bit. Neither of these fits are optimal for PvP, which is what CCP is apparently trying to nudge people towards with these missions.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #41 on: 23 Aug 2014, 10:15 »

CCP's (actually, Fozzie specifically springs to mind) been talking about making everything 'social' and I really don't think you can force people to be social. I think the game is doing a pretty good job saying one ought to try to be social for better game experience, but entirely stamping out single player play is going to see crazy fits like Esna pointed out. It'll be interesting to watch, but kind of a pain when you could just let people grind if they want to.

I like the idea of teaching newer players how to fit, and I think going into it in gangs could ruin that premise; you don't have to be fit as well when you have enough guys to steamroll it (which is going to happen if it's hard).  I want to say I like this idea, but I feel like it might not have the intended effect when released to players. Good try though - that's one of the hardest things is getting used to fitting and refitting. It was a lot harder when I was solo, and doing missions. There was a lot of carefully matching similar modules to suggestions and sometimes not entirely understanding it.
Ironically, having ships tossed in front of me and being asked, "Hey kid, can you fly this?" actually has taught me a lot more about the modules themselves than carefully making ships 'by hand' for missions.
So... I hope this helps newbros, but it might not. ?!
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Anyanka Funk

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug 2014, 20:02 »

I'll give people a tip.

Frigates can fit hardeners.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 28 Aug 2014, 14:03 »

CCP Fozzie @CCP_Fozzie
On day one, 207 Burner NPCs died, but they killed 1563 capsuleer ships. The machines are winning. #tweetfleet #eveonline #iskwar

EVE Online @EveOnline
You are getting better! Only 6.2 players lost per burner NPC destroyed yesterday as opposed to 7.55 on Tuesday. #eveonline #tweetfleet

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5