Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked cruisers are held in place with massive clamps on strategic support sections of the ship, and are disengaged with incendiary explosives? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: what's everyone's thoughts on these "burner" missions ?  (Read 14360 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: what's everyone's thoughts on these "burner" missions ?
« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2014, 22:11 »

I like them, and would do them, but the lack of having a "Burner missions only" option in its initial phases makes me sad, because I'd rather do frigate PvE as opposed to having to shoot hundreds of NPC in a Battleship.

I think it's more likely that we'll see an increase in the frequency with which the missions are offered rather than Burner-only agents. Since declining them causes no timer or anything, it seems like the right next step if there's a general perception they aren't showing up frequently enough.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2014, 23:40 »

I'm of mixed mind on this. I definitely approve of the idea, but as Graelyn said the whole "agent tells you exactly how to win" thing makes me unsure. Will their stats be high enough that following the agent's advice takes what would be a hopeless situation and makes it merely difficult? Will CCP be willing to flip their stats around some when people inevitably figure out super-optimized fits to make easy kills of each NPC? What about certain ships at current (Worm, Ishkur, Enyo, Hawk) which are so good they might conceivably be able to handle any of the NPCs with barely any refitting?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Odelya

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:08 »

I like them, and would do them, but the lack of having a "Burner missions only" option in its initial phases makes me sad, because I'd rather do frigate PvE as opposed to having to shoot hundreds of NPC in a Battleship.
I was thinking the same, especially with regards to the option of doing level 4 mission in 0.0 and low sec. But this idea can be buried with now my unwillingness to ever do regular lvl 4 missions again. Otherwise: It looks interesting, but I wonder what CCP will do to grant some kind of unpredictability, if there will be EVE survival descriptions and fittings that always work it will be as dull as always having to bring a friend. We'll see.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:51 »

They should really push the concept for missions done in multi. The kind you HAVE TO get a buddy or several buddies to do. With pve gang warfare and all, vs several of those things.

As for personal thoughts: "Ava Starfire Mission Generator" about sums it up.

QFT

:lol:

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:08 »

I think it's more likely that we'll see an increase in the frequency with which the missions are offered rather than Burner-only agents. Since declining them causes no timer or anything, it seems like the right next step if there's a general perception they aren't showing up frequently enough.

Well, the devblog says they're in the level 4 mission pool and not separate. If you don't want to do "normal" level 4 missions but only the new burner ones that means having to decline missions until you get one if you don't want standing losses. Which means waiting every four hours or having to visit multiple agents to get one.

That might be working as intended I suppose on CCP's end.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2014, 04:00 »

On second thought, "Ava Starfire Simulator" seems even more accurate. >_>

It would be most accurate if the complex only allows Wolves in.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2014, 08:10 »

Well, the devblog says they're in the level 4 mission pool and not separate. If you don't want to do "normal" level 4 missions but only the new burner ones that means having to decline missions until you get one if you don't want standing losses. Which means waiting every four hours or having to visit multiple agents to get one.

That might be working as intended I suppose on CCP's end.

That could help break up mission hubs a bit. It would also encourage dedicated 'burner' mission pilots to pretty much roam around with their frigates looking for viable "targets." I kind of like the idea to be honest. I think it will make low and null missions interesting.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2014, 09:17 »

Also, might it encourage people to get together in groups of 2-4 and pull missions together, eat through them together as a group, and then go back to spreading out to ping agents? Kind of like how the old FW mission farm used to go - a bunch of people cycle through a ton of agents looking for good missions, and when they've exhausted all the reasonable agents they go out and run them together and dump all at once.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:15 »

The very concept of "good" and "bad" missions is...  :psyccp:

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2014, 15:27 »

I hope they give the "Burner" NPC's a cap limit.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2014, 20:17 »

I'm of mixed mind on this. I definitely approve of the idea, but as Graelyn said the whole "agent tells you exactly how to win" thing makes me unsure. Will their stats be high enough that following the agent's advice takes what would be a hopeless situation and makes it merely difficult? Will CCP be willing to flip their stats around some when people inevitably figure out super-optimized fits to make easy kills of each NPC? What about certain ships at current (Worm, Ishkur, Enyo, Hawk) which are so good they might conceivably be able to handle any of the NPCs with barely any refitting?

This is something I can agree with. Conceptually I want to like it as a step in the right direction, but when I see CCP do things like this, I look back at Epic Mission Arcs and at Cosmos, and I want to like those things too. Hypothetically all mission running could be converted into epic arcs. Or all Cosmos content. You could also have all burner missions eventually. Or it could be that CCP adds in these few missions as a token gesture and doesn't touch mission running as it exists right now for another three years.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2014, 23:47 »

I hope they give the "Burner" NPC's a cap limit.

they won't at first, maybe in the future, if they manage to work out how to design it that way.
\o/

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2014, 08:14 »

Having now run a few of these, burner missions are living up their name. The NPCs "burn" pretty fucking fast. The only way I managed to kill the afterburning 3.2km/s succubus was a snaked Daredevil with an overheated Shadow Serp web. And even then he tanked like a bitch.

Currently, these may be far harder than their reward justifies. Excellent PVP practice though. Before finally succeeding with the Daredevil I failed in a Worm, a Wolf and a Cruor. The Worm and Cruor were able to escape by sacrificing drones, but I eventually ended up ejecting from the wolf as I couldn't even get close to catching him.

A* for PVP practice, low C for being monetarily worthwhile.

Editing to add:

Fucking lol.

Trying to fight the 3.8km/s light missile worm in a Dramiel. Check out those time stamps.

30 seconds from landing to dead. Most of those seconds spent burning into range. From getting into to range to exploding, 6 seconds. Out goddamn standing.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014, 13:02 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #28 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:32 »

Nobody will ever do those if they are hard and bring no money.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:42 »

I was also thinking it would be nice to be able to do them without an expensive fit or hull.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5