Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Assembly responded directly to Julianus Soter's and other's request for information regarding Ishukone and Mordus Legion around Intaki Prime? For more, read here

Author Topic: Logging off Icly explanation  (Read 1590 times)

Anyanka Funk

Logging off Icly explanation
« on: 04 Aug 2014, 12:33 »

When first starting RP, the question comes up, what are we doing when logging off? Sometimes, you rp in a place with other people, sometimes you are in a channel, sometimes you just dc and say fuck it for the night. There can be many explanations icly to what is happening.

When I know Anya is going to be back in eight hours or less, she will say she is sleeping. If dc'ing in person with someone, the old comms not working excuse doesn't really work, so she will say she fainted. More recently, Anya will claim to be at the Covenant Hospital working or in her quarters staying off comms.

Another explanation that she has used, but may be a horrible gateway to ooc drama, is that she is actually playing a mmorpg called "Real Life" and the money she gets in that game is then converted to ISK to buy PLEX. Discussing said mmorpg is where things can get a bit sour.

My questions are, what are your explanations and if you even come up with any?

Dessau

Re: Logging off Icly explanation
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2014, 13:23 »

Other than Eterne's tongue-in-cheek dictum that capsuleers undergo a CONCORD- mandated period of unconsciousness for 15-30 minutes once a day, I haven't found anything yet to indicate that pilots outside of the pod have overcome the physiological need for restorative sleep. CQ come with a bed, after all. So sleep is an easy one.

When logging while in space, it's easy enough to say Dess is handling administrative duties for corp personnel and ship crews. CEO stuff.

Given his background, it's also not unreasonable IMO to say that he maintains at least a pair of planetside bolt-holes or safehouses with no GalNet connection. Find a populous temperate world and duck under the grid for a while. Works for extended absenses, as far as I'm concerned, though I could be wrong about the capsuleer nervous system not being pinged by some ubiquitous low-amplitude signal (so we can never really be off-grid).

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2014, 13:28 »

Nico is still head of her familyand thus has a tight schedule. So, most of the time she's not online she simplay is planetside, out of pod and doing whatever her 'dayjob' requires - or is sleeping. Basically, she spends part of her free time in the capsule, so...

...from paperwork over church service to sleeptime, everything is a welcome IC explanation. No, she doesn't want to hang out on GalNet all the time when having better things to do, she likes her work. ;) And then there's the technical malfunction for all RL technical malfunctions.

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2014, 13:59 »

That 'playing the MMORPG Real life' is a pretty special explanation.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2014, 17:12 »

Logging off is just shutting off your capsuleer-specific fluid router connections - essentially, just turning off your capsuleer channels.

What your character is doing while they are logged off is not fixed by any means. It's really no different than turning off a work-connected smartphone, just with futuretech.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #5 on: 06 Aug 2014, 00:41 »

Sorry gais I am staying off Neocom and not undock for the next two months so I can play this holo-game where a fat demon sits on me until I die.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #6 on: 06 Aug 2014, 00:48 »

Sorry gais I am staying off Neocom and not undock for the next two months so I can play this holo-game where a fat demon sits on me until I die.

LOL. Anya has also used that one.  ;)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug 2014, 05:08 »

What.

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2014, 21:34 »

I usually just mention I have to go but when I can borrow from RL to spice things up, I will... like getting together with a friend for ice cream, or my family visiting in town. Or lunch (although sounds weird when corpmates are in dinner timezone but hey, everything is relative in space and I have lunch at dinnertime). I normally do not feel like intentional logoffs are a big deal to be explained.

Now because my connection sucks bigtime since I moved a few years ago and I disconnect frequently, I do have this game-impacting, unexpected logoff thing which has me explaining what happened, after it happened and I have logged back in. Of course it takes place when I should be paying attention to expensive or life-changing stuff.

ICly speaking then, I faint or swoon. The worse episodes have me blacking out and picking myself up from a restaurant floor or so. I say it is some kind of medical condition, maybe a loose jack wire or something that I will get checked as soon as I can. That is the official line at least, and you will probably never get a straight answer anyway.

IC privately, I have a very good idea of what it is and it terrifies me. I have learned to live with it and accept I will never race again, fly logistics or operate heavy machinery  :P ; the chances of this going away (i.e. the chances of me getting decent internets here) are slim to none.

That being said, it does provide food for a story arc that I hope to explore someday.

Another explanation that she has used, but may be a horrible gateway to ooc drama, is that she is actually playing a mmorpg called "Real Life"

Well, that I have also done. Do not tell anyone but my main and my IC alt brother share a RealLife(tm) account: me.  ;)

Q

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2014, 04:04 »

I've been known to just use 'I have other business to attend to' or 'I should go' when I feel like channelling Shepard.

If it's just a quick afk though, it'll be something like 'Excuse me a moment.' or something to that end.

with DCing 'in person' IC, depending on how long it is, I might just pretend it never happened. Once or twice I've logged off without Marcus leaving a bar he was drinking in though, and had him wake up with a beer mat stuck to his forehead or something, as if he just passed out.
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me