Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fedos are spongy creatures about the size of a cat that smell horrible and are sometimes used for waste disposal on ships? More here!

Author Topic: Translators  (Read 2494 times)

Tacitrain

• Clonejack
Translators
« on: 30 May 2010, 17:32 »

I'm not sure if this thread should go here, but I just read the chron on translators.  However, there are multiple chrons that show non-capsuleers conversing between races with no translation, or any mention of a language barrier.  Whats up with that?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Translators
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2010, 17:43 »

Maybe not everyone is monolingual?

Tacitrain

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2010, 17:46 »

Just wondering if I missed something.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2010, 18:43 »

No. Some people also use the explanation that they are running stuff through a translator via (or in) implants in real time, too. Or that translation is pretty trivial. (I usually figure that if an iPhone can do it, they can probably do it in Eve.)

As far as I know, it isn't addressed in PF anywhere.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2010, 18:59 »

Aside from the possibility of real-time translation and that capsuleers are highly multilingual (it makes sense, given that extraordinary willpower and memory seem to be basic requirements for capsuleership), there's also the possibility that what we "speak" is in fact a hybrid of many different languages, with the bits we don't understand covered by real-time translation.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2010, 05:34 »

I make use of Seriphyn's implants as a plot device very often. He is able to identify other capsuleers due to them (which would explain why we also approach PCs in RP bars as opposed to random NPCs  :lol: ) and the language is translated via the implants too.

Seriphyn otherwise only speaks the main Gallentean dialect, Intaki and Caldanese (or Caldari, whichever you lot call it now)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2010, 04:11 »

Most of the older Caldari are highly likely to also know Gallentean. Nearly all Minmatar speak Amarrish. Know these two languages, and you're understood everywhere in the cluster. Admitted, speaking Gallentean in the State might these days get you a few ugly looks, so if you do business dominantly in the State, you might want to replace Gallentean with Napanii (or Caldanese or what's it called?).

Though the answer to the mentioned spots in Prime Fiction is that in space opera, every planet has a human-breathable atmosphere and all aliens speak English.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2010, 12:08 »

Seriphyn otherwise only speaks the main Gallentean dialect, Intaki and Caldanese (or Caldari, whichever you lot call it now)

Some people say its Caldanese, others Napanii.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2010, 13:15 »

"Caldarian"?
* Casiella runs

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2010, 01:55 »

I think the Caldanese / Napanii thing would have a very simple solution. The modern language is Caldanese, whereas Napanii was the language of the Raata Empire (and subsequently the lingua franca on Caldari Prime until the Gallente made contact). The Caldanese is thus a descendant of Napanii with some Gallentean influences. (Hm, wasn't there a thread about Caldari language somewhere here...)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jun 2010, 02:33 »

That was my take on it, Mithfindel.

Caldanese would be the widely-understood language used across the State, or more properly the language family most common in the State.  With so many people and places, dialects and sister languages would be common.  Napanii would be the antiquated form of "pure" or "proper" Caldanese that was used on Caldari Prime pre-spaceflight.

Edit:  Another thought- it may be most appropriate to assume the versions of these languages that capsuleers are likely to speak are the "space dialects".  There are millions upon millions of people living on space stations and ships in New Eden.  With the specialized vocab needed, unique international culture, and confined (relatively) environs of ships and stations, that's plenty of fertile ground for any language to develop a new offshoot in space.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2010, 02:37 by Ken »

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2010, 09:54 »

I can think of a few RP's that might of gone a fraction of a bit better if I the player had known he was speaking Intaki without a translator... *laughs*  There was an assumption it was standard Gallentean and therefore the talk of the time about appreciate the Intaki culture came across as false.

Mild side topic; but I've always maintained to myself that you can tell what language a person is speaking even if the translator "fixes" it for you.  Which makes you appreciate when the translators aren't needed.  Just my 2 isk.