Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that wooden furniture is very expensive in space? (p. 89)

Author Topic: The Structure of the Sebiestor Brain and its Implications for Society  (Read 1869 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

The Structure of the Sebiestor Brain and its Implications for Society

By Dr. Valerie Valate, director of research, Kaztropolis Imperial Neurophysics Institute, and Empress Synthia 1, Queen of Kaztropol.

Abstract:

Sebiestor persons are commonly believed to be innovative thinkers. This project set out to investigate some of the reasons behind this, with a view to determining ways of improving the Sebiestor population, and indeed, the rest of the human population, in accordance with the Scriptures.
The project used brain imaging tools, aptitude testing and DNA sampling in an effort to determine the relationships between genetics, background, brain structure and problem-solving ability.
An association between brain structure and educational background was found, as was an association between brain structure and problem solving ability.
No relationship was observed between genetics and brain structure.

Introduction:

The Sebiestor have long had a reputation as being innovative thinkers, with an affinity for engineering and problem-solving. The reasons behind this are unclear, but understanding of the causes of this would be of benefit to all of humanity, as it would allow the opportunity of improving the whole population, which is of course part of the divine mission given to Man by God – to improve humanity as a whole.
The Empress Synthia, patron of the Kaztropolis Neurophysics Institute, initiated this project, after some other research on Minmatar brain structures found an anomaly – a Sebiestor subject had a brain structure that was highly interconnected, and a better than average problem-solving ability.
It was hypothesised that Sebiestor people have brains that are highly interconnected, and this is the reason behind the reputation that Sebiestor people have.

Methodology:

A total of 534 Sebiestor volunteers were recruited through advertising in space stations and communications channels.
A substantial number of volunteers were recruited from Pator Tech School, and another large group of volunteers were recruited from the Republic University school of Dance.
A number of Sebiestor capsuleers were also recruited as experimental volunteers.

The volunteers were questioned about their family and educational background, before being subjected to testing. The first test involved a scan of the brain to determine its structure. The second test involved the subject performing numerous spatial reasoning and problem solving activities, activities which are normal for aptitude testing for a variety of careers. The third test involved taking a genetic sample of the volunteer.

Results:

Results can be seen in figures 1 through 4.

Figure 1 shows a brain of one of the volunteers, a Sebiestor capsuleer named “Anabella Rella”. The image displays areas of the brain that light up during the problem-solving exercises, demonstrating a wide range of activity, indicating a higher than averagely connected brain.

Figure 2 examines the relationship between brain structures and the educational background of the volunteers. Chi-square testing finds that with a probability of 0.0103, then the null hypothesis of having no relationship between educational background and brain structure can be rejected, and that there is a relationship between the educational background of a Sebiestor and the structure of their brain.

Figure 3 examines the relationship between brain structures and the genetic markers associated with Sebiestor tribe members. Four genetic markers have been associated with Sebiestor tribe members in previous research by Republic University projects. These particular genetic sequences are only found in Minmatar individuals with Sebiestor heritage. This project labelled them BD1 through 4, for “brain development”. Chi-square testing finds that with a probability of 0.2561, that this is insufficient to reject the null hypothesis that there is no relationship between genetics and brain structures.

Figure 4 examines the relationship between test scores and brain structures. 30 individuals were randomly selected from the volunteers from each of the three categories of brain structure, and their spatial reasoning and aptitude test scores were compared. T-testing found that with low probabilities, the null hypotheses that there were no associations between brain structures and test scores could be rejected, and that the alternate hypothesis, that a higher brain interconnection was associated with a higher test score could be accepted.

Discussion:

Questions may be asked about how representative the sample population was. There is a high level of suspicion towards Amarrian scientists, because of political and historical concerns, which may have had an effect on how representative the sample is, compared to the wider Sebiestor population.
There are also questions regarding how accurate the scoring of the tests was, being administered to Sebiestor persons. The testing methods that are known to Amarr science, as laid out in the Scriptures may not necessarily provide accurate results when administered to non-Amarrian persons, because of cultural effects.
The lack of any clear genetic effect is interesting, as it has implications for the wider Sebiestor population, both inside and outside the Republic. No clear genetic link means that improving the Sebiestor population would not be a simple matter of selective mating. This may be a disappointment to some, such as those engaged in Sebiestor slave farming, while for others, such as Sebiestor freewomen, it means there is somewhat less pressure on them to find an appropriate mate – it seems as if any Sebiestor may be as good as any other, as regards being able to rear intelligent, ingenious Sebiestor children.
The apparent link between educational background and brain structure is important, as it shows that to reach a persons full potential, then a substantial investment in education is necessary. This means that authorities with the responsibility for a Sebiestor population should prioritise education of the Sebiestor children, and to provide a stimulating environment for an expecting Sebiestor mother. A developing child, before it is born, is sensitive to sounds from the outside – the Sebiestor mother should therefore be in an environment which stimulates the child. A highly educated Sebiestor mother is more likely to have a child with a highly interconnected brain, because she is more likely to be living in an environment that provides stimulation to the developing child. This has implications for the Republic, with respect to accommodating Sebiestor citizens from freed slave populations – they may face a poverty trap otherwise.

Conclusions:

The structure of the Sebiestor brain has a significant effect on that Sebiestor individuals ability to perform complex tasks.
The educational background of a Sebiestor family is important, as it has an effect on the brain structures of the future generations.
Educational investment should be one of the top priorities for any authority responsible for Sebiestor persons.

Acknowledgements:
The authors wish to express thanks to the many Sebiestor volunteers that contributed to this project, the city and people of Kaztropolis, the Republic University and Pator Tech School, and all others who assisted in this research.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

I seriously expected there to be entries about "Higher than Average Squiggly Doodles", and "More Noodly Woobilies", or some such.

Lyn Farel

Has lady Noh taken part in the experiment ? :P

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain

Good work. :)

Missing:
Mean±Confidence interval.
Your significance threshold.

Want a proper review?

Oh, and for those who want to engage in the discussion, remember that when the null hypothesis can be rejected it does not mean that your hypothesis is true; just that it is plausible. Though, generally scientists tend to ignore that point.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

The hell did I just read.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

The hell did I just read.

Missing:
Want a proper review?
Would be nice, I think :)
It's been ages since I did any kind of statistics work, I've forgotten a lot of things  :s

Has lady Noh taken part in the experiment ? :P
I think she might have offered some Sebiestor brains for study at some point, I'm not sure if they were alive or not.  :eek:

I seriously expected there to be entries about "Higher than Average Squiggly Doodles", and "More Noodly Woobilies", or some such.
There is another statistical test showing Exotic Dancers, Female, to be more Giggly than Starship Engineering Students.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain

Missing:
Want a proper review?
Would be nice, I think :)
It's been ages since I did any kind of statistics work, I've forgotten a lot of things  :s
I am no master in this, but I will try my best.

Btw. once I had to review a paper where the author presented (statistically) a=b, b=c, c=d but c≠a, and the authors did not address this issue at all in their findings! (Statistics nerd talk)
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Ollie

• Egger

Completely disconnected from game mechanics, still nice work and effort made. May be nice because it's disconnected from game mechanics. :)

One thing I don't think you included was any attempt to analyse subgroups within the total cohort. It's reasonable to hypothesize that with access to capsuleer grade implants and skill packages there might be some differences between their results and those of your average baseliner subject. However, without the breakdown being attempted you clearly cannot make any deductions one way or the other.

Did your capsuleer subgroup drag the statistics one way or another? Do the points from your discussion apply to the total or is there significant variation amongst subgroups?

That might well be taking it all a little too seriously, of course, and you might also have considered this but left out deliberately to engage other RPers who might want to take a different view or make alternative explanations once the article's made public.

Also: WTB your brain-scan photoshop skills. Really nice work. :)
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2013, 20:32 by Ollie »

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

Also: WTB your brain-scan photoshop skills. Really nice work. :)

Ah, not my work. Just an image I found while looking for brain images.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing

analyse subgroups

<.< >.>
[spoiler]

Exotic Dancers are therefore more Giggly than Starship Engineering Students.
[/spoiler]

Ollie

• Egger

analyse subgroups

<.< >.>
[spoiler]

Exotic Dancers are therefore more Giggly than Starship Engineering Students.
[/spoiler]

There's a chance I may have a future in exotic dancing then, after reading the reply :)