Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That some Gallente swear by Fortune?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: In response to "second attempt thread" mod comment as requested  (Read 6133 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?

Editted out.  Not useful.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2013, 12:26 by Repentence Tyrathlion »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Quote from: Repentence Tyrathlion
Quote from: Lyn Farel
Also yes, Morwen's answer was perfectly fine this time, I am not sure that I said somewhere that it wasn't.

One last question : if some mods can perfectly control themselves, why not some others ? You say that they are human and all voluntary and thus, it can happen. Does that mean the other ones are not human ?

I personally would frame it that some people are more suited to the role of moderation than others.  Our team is mostly pretty good.

More accurate to say that some people wear the mod hat at all times, while others set it on the mantle from time to time and just participate in the forum they enjoy.

We're not getting paid for this, folks.  In fact, Silver is paying for it.  That's not a cry for money - it's not that expensive - it's to illustrate the point that any one of us, when we choose to do so, is allowed to post our hearts out without a thought to moderation of the forum because we are vo-lun-teers.

Every volunteer firefighter doesn't drop everything and run to put out every fire.  Every volunteer moderator doesn't read every thread as a mod at the expense of their own ever posting.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2013, 12:30 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

More accurate to say that some people wear the mod hat at all times, while others set it on the mantle from time to time and just participate in the forum they enjoy.

We're not getting paid for this, folks.  In fact, Silver is paying for it.  That's not a cry for money - it's not that expensive - it's to illustrate the point that any one of us, when we choose to do so, is allowed to post our hearts out without a thought to moderation of the forum because we are vo-lun-teers.

Every volunteer firefighter doesn't drop everything and run to put out every fire.  Every volunteer moderator doesn't read every thread as a mod at the expense of their own ever posting.

I've actually resolved to take the mod hat off more, since I find most of my forum activity taking place here or in the mod-only sections it sometimes seems.

Lyn Farel

Also yes, Morwen's answer was perfectly fine this time, I am not sure that I said somewhere that it wasn't.

One last question : if some mods can perfectly control themselves, why not some others ? You say that they are human and all voluntary and thus, it can happen. Does that mean the other ones are not human ?

I don't think anyone, including any of the mods 'perfectly control themselves'. But one thing about humans is that they are all different, handle things in different ways, etc. Otherwise we wouldn't have much to talk about on the board, I suspect.

Edit:

We've acted on many of your reports. There are also others of your reports (including, I believe, a couple cases where you reported the same person multiple times) where we didn't take action. That's how this works. I do notice that on the people (non-mods) where we have taken 0 action based on your reports, you haven't started or piped up in any threads.

It isn't 'tortuous and convoluted nitpicking' when you say, "I report Morwen all the time and you never do anything!" and then I say "Well, I just looked in the reports forum, and all the time is 5 times ever."

The two reports of yours that were borderline in bad faith were not, I think, actually in bad faith. I think your perception was just colored by your conflict with Morwen, which is slightly different. Also, you've only made 4 reports since last time you complained about this, 8 months ago. I don't think that is enough to systematically be anything, unless you are complaining that if you did that many reports, we should act on at least some of them by virtue of the number that were made (more than 1) - which is not how reporting works, explicitly because people would then report people they didn't like for nonsense reasons (and no, I'm not saying you had only nonsense reasons. And as I mentioned, in two of the reports, I could definitely see why you saw it the way you did).

I understand that you feel like it is more than that, or feel like Morwen violates the rules all the time, but I think your past conflicts with him are coloring your perception. If you see a post of his that feels wrong, go into the rules and guidelines, see if it violates one of them, and submit a report if it does. We don't deal in 'It seems like this person always breaks the rules!', we deal in 'Look at all these posts we had to catacomb, and these warnings this person has gotten because they broke the rules'. In Morwen's case I think that is 2 or 3 catacombed posts due to his own actions (as opposed to being swept out with everyone else when a whole thread is Cataed) over the years the board has been open. Which is probably not far off average for long-time users.

Now, there, you are making a lot of negative assumptions... And put words in my mouth. I'm not interested the slightest in that kind of nonsense.

The couple of times I reported twice as you say were recent cases where I eventually got fed up with the absence of mod reaction for things I consider blatant, and asked if you were still considering the case and being late, or you were just dissing me. You seem to disagree, fine. That's why I said I'll stop bother reporting altogether if we can't understand each other.

And that's not the damn point, by the way.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant there have been cases where you reported the same person in multiple different threads. AFAIK I don't think it generates a second report if you report the same post more than once (though it does if different people report the same post, or if you report different posts in the same thread).

Lyn Farel

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant there have been cases where you reported the same person in multiple different threads. AFAIK I don't think it generates a second report if you report the same post more than once (though it does if different people report the same post, or if you report different posts in the same thread).

I make sure every time that I report something with a good reason, not petty vendettas. Or I would have reported every posts from people I have grievances with. I have reported posts from friends and other people all alike, no matter how close they were to me, or agreeable they were. Difficult to do more neutral imo.

I took the system very seriously, because I believed in it.

Quote from: Repentence Tyrathlion
Quote from: Lyn Farel

I personally would frame it that some people are more suited to the role of moderation than others.  Our team is mostly pretty good.

Fair enough.

Although, when you choose to do so, you can post your hearts out without a thought for moderation and insult/curbstomp people just because you are "vo-lun-teers" ? I can understand that mistakes are made, but actively finding excuses to make them sounds rather unwarranted.

Also, every volunteer firefighter doesn't drop oil on the fire they try to extinguish. Except the crazy ones that light forest fires.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I think his point was that mods are also forum users, and like other forum users, they occasionally might cross the line in their capacity as forum users - and when they do they are modded for it. They also get bonus scolding from me, which regular forum users don't.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

This thread displays such a shocking lack of respect that it's kinda breathtaking.

I think some people should consider their position and why they think it is constructive/helpful.

Lyn Farel

I think his point was that mods are also forum users, and like other forum users, they occasionally might cross the line in their capacity as forum users - and when they do they are modded for it. They also get bonus scolding from me, which regular forum users don't.

I'm glad we agree on that.

Sorry to ask another time but could you send me the 2 reports that were not done in bad faith but still quite done in bad faith or something ?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

I'm glad we agree on that.

Sorry to ask another time but could you send me the 2 reports that were not done in bad faith but still quite done in bad faith or something ?

Clearly (to the mod team) baseless, but as I said above, I don't think it was bad faith - I think it was a matter of your particular perspective on Morwen.

Lyn Farel

Can I still get them ?

Vikarion

You can call it a weak excuse, but I happen to maybe reason differently at times. It's also a problem of communication.

Lyn, Silver expressed my thought better and with more information than I did, but I'll try to clarify.

Everyone has a certain style of reading and thinking. It seems to me that you have a propensity for sometimes coming up with meanings from a person's statements that others do not. I don't think that it's a cheap shot to point out that this is a meta-style that can persist over locations. I'm sure that you could find similarities between my writing and the writing I do as my character, and I'll admit that many of them have even been frustratingly difficult to alter.

But when I read many of your posts, I have to admit that a recurring perception of mine is "how did he get that out of that?", or "I don't think that the person he's responding to meant to offend, or to imply offense."

If I were doing this, the only motivation I could ascribe to myself was an intention to cause conflict. However, reading some of your subsequent replies, this does not in fact seem to be the case. You do apparently have other motivations, and while I have trouble appreciating them, perhaps, I can certainly recognize that they exist and are valid to you.

Now, this all could very well be me. I'm not always the best at extracting social cues. It could be that there is often an undercurrent of hostility that I simply miss or am unaware of. If this is in fact the case, I would not be averse - if you would not be bothered - in a little instruction as to what I am missing. But it could also be that my perception is at least somewhat accurate, and thus, might be worth consideration.

Vikarion

Weird, if Lyn responds to my posts e.g. on IGS, it's usually not by giving the worst possible interpretation...

Excuse me. I do not literally mean, every single post. I mean, temporally, this is neither a rare phenomenon nor a new one, from my perspective, and I think that it is happening with Lyn's interpretation of Morwen and Silver here.

So, when you said every single post, you didn't mean every single post? And when you said Lyn does it all the time, you didn't mean all the time? And when you said with everyone, you didn't really mean everyone either?

So what you really mean is that it happens from time to time? Or what? Maybe you should use less hyperbole next time. <.<

My apologies. I will attempt more precision in the future.

Lyn Farel

Maybe. Perhaps that I tend to see that kind of snipes sprouting everywhere. Most of the time i'm not that far from the truth, it's often between people that do not appreciate each other or do not share the same ideas. Perhaps it makes me paranoid.

But I still don't see what this has to do with the IGS...

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Can I still get them ?

I sent them to you. Here's what's not going to happen: A whole additional discussion about how valid those posts were for moderation. Because 1) They were both months ago and 2) One of them you already had explained to you in detail. If you do have questions, feel free to contact me, but as I said, no mods saw issues with those posts, and we still don't while you apparently did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4