Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Sabik's Sepsis is a blood disease that rarely lasts into adulthood, but is considered sacrilege when it does? (The Burning Life, pp. 20,21)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)  (Read 5702 times)

Reyd Karris

Re: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)
« Reply #60 on: 17 Sep 2013, 20:25 »

Somewhere in all of this, I did see stuff about EVE; the thing I thought was neat was White Wolf originally seemed poised to do both a table-top version of the game to go inline with the online game...guess that fell through though they did release a sci-fi game that some people claimed was a tie-in...it wasn't.
Yeah, White Wolf told CCP it was impossible for what they wanted to do, and the White Wolf people always seemed VERY annoyed when they were presenting at Fanfests.

Basically, in publishing you need to look years in advance; CCP couldn't look six months. Almost verbatim, this is what was said at a fanfest. Tony Gonzales also wanted to create his "EVE Bible" first, the all-encompassing "THIS IS EVE" sourcebook for developers and writers of the EVE universe to look to.

From what I understand, when the tabletop game idea died, Tony handed the EVE Bible project to Mercury and the project slowly died. That's just based on supposition and the timetable I saw.

:psyccp:

Anyway, long ramble short. I'm not holding out for a Vampire MMO any time soon. I would love to see one, but I think it'll be a hard sell to get a properly adult themed MMO out without having to scale some of the themes back which may or may not work. I could keep going on why I think a Vampire MMO won't do well, but I do like to be somewhat hopeful.
I'll believe it when I see multiple avatars, player controlled, walking around in the cityscape they're designing. Water running down walls is nice, but I'm not going to stare at a wall for hours on end.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Re: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)
« Reply #61 on: 17 Sep 2013, 20:50 »

Yes, well aside from the graphical interface, I'm more concerned about what type of World of Darkness it will be. Will it be gothic horror-ery enough and mature enough to be true to the vision, or is it going to lean more towards a WoD painted with sparkles in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience?

To me, I think the success of a vampire mmo would really be more in line with a single player with very strong multiplayer tools and support. The World of Darkness, as much as I love the setting (more so the new one), it is a niche setting and will already be targeting a smaller demographics of players. Sure, there might be an influx of players bored with WoW or whatever, but they won't stay. The fans of the setting are going to be a small cross-section and to try to market it as a full mmo might be a disservice? But that's my thoughts.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]