Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mordu's Legion was formed of Intakis exiled from the Federation for their support for the Caldari? For more read here.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)  (Read 5709 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: CCP Soundwave Peacing (as in leaving)
« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2013, 23:37 »

Managers and Supervisors who did not understand that what they were asking for was a lot more than they anticipated. Happened to me as a researcher. Super would request x, y, and z with 10 hours assigned to it, when task x ALONE would take 25 hours, and putting it together to work with y and z would be even more time and resources that were not available and would not be requisitioned.

Just higher ups pushing for shit they know nothing about.

This is normal. Personal anecdote time!

At my current job, there was one incident when I'd been there maybe about a month and a half, where I was asked to write my code to allow ANY combination of answers that were considered 'valid' for a given set of math problems. Doesn't seem like too much a big deal on the surface, right?

Well, let's look at the tool students are using in this particular step of the problem first:
- It has two areas. One with a number of circles, and another area with eight containers that circles can be dragged into.
- Circles in the first area can be chopped up into fractions of a whole (halves, thirds, fourths, etc; all the way up to eighths for this tool).
- The containers in the second area each have two slots, which can hold a whole circle each - so a total of 16 wholes can be moved over.

Simple enough so far, right? Okay, here's where it got stupid.
- Each of the sixteen slots has an ID number, between 0 and 15.
- For each of these slots, in order to check the value of the contents, you have to check the numerator and the denominator of the wedges (or whole) put into that slot. Yes, separately. No, you can't just put in a numeric value (say, 0.5) and check the slot. You have to check that the numerator is 1 (or 2, or 3, etc.) and the denominator is at the same time 2 (or 4, or 6, etc.).
- You can't do this for pairs of slots (ie, the containers). Only per individual slot.

Okay. It's long-winded code, but it works... Until you have to take into account alternate answers.

The question I was using as an example for this was 6 divided by 4 - for this step, students were told to "split six wholes evenly between four containers". We were expecting the answer of a whole and two fourths, but we were also going to accept one half instead of the two fourths. This wouldn't be a problem, really, except for how answers had to be validated.

So when you're letting the student answer the question by putting either 1 1/2 or 1 2/4 into ANY four of eight containers... you end up with a lot of permutations.

1120, to be precise:
- 70 combinations (8 choose 4) of 4 containers, times
- 4 decisions per combination, one per container, whether to use 1 1/2 or 1 2/4 for that container, times
- 4 decisions per combination, one per container, whether to put the fraction or the whole into the first slot

When checking a single slot looks like "fs.circle1numerator=2 & fs.circle1denominator=4"... you can imagine how long this would get. I did the math in my head, and told my supervisor it would take several hours per problem, in a lesson of about 70 problems (each of which was different), assuming I didn't completely destroy the authoring software in the process. I was told, "do it anyway".

So I did, for one problem, just to prove my point. Turned out my estimate of "several hours" turned out to be hopelessly optimistic: it took me the entire work day, all of 7 hours (since I didn't start until after our morning scrum), to write the single if statement to validate these answers. You can actually see the code here. It's over 92,000 characters long, and takes up 19 sheets of paper when printed.

When I finished, I called my supervisor over to let her see the code working when I put it into the software. She looked at the code (before I pasted it in) and could not believe that was what the code was going to look like. I put it into the tool, and broke the system in the process. Text stopped rendering properly (the line the if statement was on basically looked like a smudge of charcoal on paper), and I couldn't save the problem, or run it.

At this point she finally stopped fighting me on it and said it would be better to assign an engineer to come up with a solution rather than have me waste two months working on a single lesson. Gee, no shit, I could have told you that this morni--oh, wait. I DID.

Fast forward a month, we finally get the fix from the engineers.

Know what that if statement looks like now? This: If: fs.containerFillSet===(3/2,3/2,3/2,3/2) then "Correct"

(It's 99.96% smaller than the original version, by the way - and fixing those lessons to use that took all of an hour.)

tl;dr: People in charge rarely know what the fuck they're talking about when it comes to actual development/putting-things-together work, especially time involved. Unfortunately, words alone will not get that through to them - you'll still have to waste hours and hours of your time just to prove that their expectations are unreasonable.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:15 »

CCP Zulu now confimed as leaving as well.

Is it just me, or are a lot of the long-term high-profile veterans fleeing? :|
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Anslol

« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2013, 13:18 »

Rational Guess- Career path was a dead end at CCP.
Irrational Guess- Someone plans to implement something in Eve in a future expansion and the vets are running for the hills before the company crashes and burns.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2013, 14:58 »

Irrational Guess- Someone plans to implement something in Eve in a future expansion and the vets are running for the hills before the company crashes and burns.
Coming in 2015:
EVE: World of Darkness
Two universes merge, making EVE more Grimdark (tm) than EVEr!
-OOChé

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2013, 15:47 »

Coming in 2015:

So...space lesbian vampires will truly be a thing???
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2013, 16:28 »

Coming in 2015:

They aren't already?

I could've sworn...
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2013, 17:25 »

Rational Guess - they will have worked out the musical chairs caused by Soundwaves departure about a month ago. Zulu may simply not have had the seat he wanted when the music stopped.

This may well hae persuaded him to seek greener pastures,

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2013, 21:06 »

Seems Zulu is also going to Riot.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #53 on: 12 Sep 2013, 21:20 »

Seems Zulu is also going to Riot.

Good. He can sell $1000 pants skins there.

Anabella Rella

• Not angry, just passionate dammit!
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #54 on: 13 Sep 2013, 01:02 »

It's so funny seeing all the... hell, I don't even know what to call it... let's just go with angst, on the Eve GD forums about Soundwave's and Zulu's departures. I remember a while back when Zulu (then known as Zulupark) decided to revamp carriers and all the accusations of incompetence, questioning of intelligence and unsubbing threats from the bittervets that came as a result. I also recall a lot of those same people complaining that Soundwave, an ex-Goon, was biased and went out of his way to tilt the game in favor the Goonies.

It's kind of like a mafia hit man showing up at his victim's funeral and crying while he tells stories about what a great guy the deceased was.  :roll:
I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #55 on: 13 Sep 2013, 02:59 »

Yeah well, I attribute the travesty known as 'Incarna' to both Soundwave and Zulu, so I can not say that I am very sad to see them move on.

Still, you know the evil you got.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #56 on: 13 Sep 2013, 05:39 »

Yeah well, I attribute the travesty known as 'Incarna' to both Soundwave and Zulu, so I can not say that I am very sad to see them move on.

Still, you know the evil you got.

Zulu was the lead designer on that one.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #57 on: 13 Sep 2013, 09:53 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o

It's all.... part of the plan

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #58 on: 16 Sep 2013, 19:55 »

If you can dream it, you can be it.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #59 on: 17 Sep 2013, 19:38 »

On a slightly more serious note, I have been waiting for White Wolf and company to get around with doing their mmo for a very long time now. The first Vampire game came packaged with tools to create and essentially run your own game, though there were some glitches.

The second video game was well done from what I recall and everything seemed ready for their next one.  At that time, they were looking to do a Werewolf game...the initial ideas seemed to indicate that it would be a first-person shooter style...that continued to go nowhere with announcements of failed attempts by different dev teams to realize the vision.

Somewhere, in all of that, there had been hints of a possible 'multiplayer' attempt based off of the second Vampire game, then that died...

Somewhere in all of this, I did see stuff about EVE; the thing I thought was neat was White Wolf originally seemed poised to do both a table-top version of the game to go inline with the online game...guess that fell through though they did release a sci-fi game that some people claimed was a tie-in...it wasn't.

Anyway, long ramble short. I'm not holding out for a Vampire MMO any time soon. I would love to see one, but I think it'll be a hard sell to get a properly adult themed MMO out without having to scale some of the themes back which may or may not work. I could keep going on why I think a Vampire MMO won't do well, but I do like to be somewhat hopeful.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5