Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Colelie/Broteau arc  (Read 7884 times)

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
The Colelie/Broteau arc
« on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:28 »

Didn't see a thread for this one, apologies if I missed it.

So, despite being on an enforced break from EVE for a month or two (damn you just slightly insufficient laptop!) I find myself unable to keep away from the forums and newsfeeds.  The Broteau arc in particular has me intrigued: where are CCP going with this?  Is this some kind of first step in breakdowns between allies, resulting in an free for all?  Or maybe just a loosening of bonds to the point where you can't farm LP in your allies FW zones anymore?

The summit reactions have been quite interesting to watch.

Hamish Grayson

Re: The Colelie/Broteau arc
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:36 »

Didn't know you still played at all:)

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:42 »

Came back a couple of months ago at the request of an RL friend.  "Try wormholes," he said.  "PvP is awesome without local," he said.

Dammit, why did he have to be right?

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:45 »

I'll have to come run around with you sometime then.

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:51 »

Absolutely!  I should be capable of doing more than updating skill queues sometime in August, maybe we can roam null or low looking for a scrap.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:52 »

Came back a couple of months ago at the request of an RL friend.  "Try wormholes," he said.  "PvP is awesome without local," he said.

Dammit, why did he have to be right?

Because wormhole space is fun and sexy.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2013, 13:23 »

Didn't see a thread for this one, apologies if I missed it.

So, despite being on an enforced break from EVE for a month or two (damn you just slightly insufficient laptop!) I find myself unable to keep away from the forums and newsfeeds.  The Broteau arc in particular has me intrigued: where are CCP going with this?  Is this some kind of first step in breakdowns between allies, resulting in an free for all?  Or maybe just a loosening of bonds to the point where you can't farm LP in your allies FW zones anymore?

The summit reactions have been quite interesting to watch.

Either way, I've been deeply enjoying the arc. I've been in a position since about 2005 of having to come up with increasingly flimsy IC reasons for the OOC choices I've made with Shin (i.e.: flying with Omerta Syndicate, despite the fact that Shin's politics are about as diametrically opposed as you can get), while struggling with a lack of IC "holy fire" every time I've come back to the game. The Colelie/Broteau arc has provided me with a way to bring Shin back to her beliefs, as well as giving me something to really sink my teeth into.

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2013, 00:06 »

My only worry is that, if the dissolution of the Federation-Republic alliance isn't their objective, CCP may have gone a little overboard with the whole "Republic Invasion" angle.  If the Republic had sent in a fleet of Maelstroms with Hurricane support, or even just a cruiser contingent, that would have served to symbolically show their irritation over Broteau.   Sending in dreads, though...that's beyond the pale.  That's "We could destroy a space station if we wanted" kind of firepower.  I wonder if CCP underestimates the political damage that kind of breach would cause.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2013, 00:23 »

I think it's a direction CCP has wanted to take the Minmatar for a while. After all, they dropped a fleet of dreads on the CONCORD HQ in Yulai, before. I'm personally highly in favor of it. :D

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2013, 00:27 »

Yes, but CONCORD and the Federation are two whole different ballgames.

I suppose I just don't envy Republic players right about now.  They're left in the awkward position of having to play guessing games as to what their government actually wants.  Never easy at the best of times, maddening in a situation like this.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2013, 07:38 »

Yeah, but it provides a very interesting RP opportunity for Republic players. Historically there haven't been many "hard choice" moments to polarize Republic RPers: Karin Midular talking with the Empire, and possibly the planet that seceded to join the Cartel. Other than those moments, it's all been "We must fight the Empire! Rawr!"

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2013, 08:12 »

I am enjoying this story arc immensely. Especially because the opinions of the player characters chipping in is very diverse, contrary to the Heth arc where public opinion is very one-sided. It provides a good dynamic and a possibility to show and shape ones character's personality.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Galen Darksmith

• Wetgraver
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:22 »

I am enjoying this story arc immensely. Especially because the opinions of the player characters chipping in is very diverse, contrary to the Heth arc where public opinion is very one-sided. It provides a good dynamic and a possibility to show and shape ones character's personality.

Agree whole-heartedly there, even if it's not my main's personality that's being developed by it.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:24 »

As someone on the Federation side, i'm enjoying this arc just for the fact Matari and Gallente are no longer "happy friends sharing cake", the tribal assembly is becoming strong enough to start kicking Fed nuts once in a while.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:25 »

IMO it would be most accurate to say that they've been forced, rather abruptly and rudely I admit, to acknowledge that they are a faction with just as many shitty, horrible, dark facets as any of the other factions, and that they'll no longer be able to play the victim card with impunity to 'win' arguments like they used to. This is a good thing. It means that some of the over-used "unassailable" arguments will be attackable, which will allow arguments to stop being killed off because of the victim card.

It's not a particularly nice position to be put in, but I think it is worse for the position to have been allowed to come into play in the first place through the lack of available PF (Voluval implications aside) openly stating that the Minmatar were just as grimdark as anyone else.

And before people start pointing at the Federation... this was an issue for the Federation up until the aftermath of TEA, with the formation of the Black Eagles and the Eturrer immolation. It's about time that the Minmatar got knocked back down to the level where everyone else is.

Also a massive +1 to Myyona.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7