Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That naturalist cafes on space stations go to great lengths to create the illusion that one is not in space? (The Burning Life, p. 62)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Militant Arm of the Sisters of Eve?  (Read 4002 times)

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Militant Arm of the Sisters of Eve?
« on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:56 »

So, during a conversation I had in game the other day, someone brought up the idea that I should take my Order to the Sisters of EVE.  Thinking about it, and what the SoE seem to stand for, it does make a certain amount of sense...join and provide armed protection for their missions, etc.  I am not 100% married to the idea, but would there be a way to go about this in game?

I ask mostly because I don't just want to say "this is how it is" especially if there is a chance to build a story around it.  Hope that makes sense.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
Re: Militant Arm of the Sisters of Eve?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:28 »

The problem with humanitarian organizations having military power is then all of the sudden everyone gets very nervous about letting them actually do anything. If the SSoE need protection, then optimally, it needs protection provided by the people they are trying to help or those with influence with them to provide that support. Once they can wield their own military forces, people start being very wary of letting them get too entrenched, or letting them even in their borders. Part of their protection is that very few people consider them a threat.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:33 »

(1) There's an SoE epic arc, I believe-- the original highsec one.

(2) There's no "actual" way to get your doings officially endorsed by any faction, regardless of who you are. You can work to get your standings up by running missions and such (and even the SoE have work for capsuleers, IIRC), but very few will criticize you for claiming that you've got some sort of relationship with a faction that isn't strictly possible within the game's framework so long as you don't take it too far.

(3) The SoE do have a militant branch of sorts. Check out the "Black Mountain" chronicle series (which I don't actually like very much, but for other reasons).

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:34 »

In the fiction the Servant Sisters of EVE are unique in that sense that they are nearly immune from attack by anyone, except Rogue Drones. This is because most pirates realize that if they get into trouble, probably the only people who will help are the SoE. However, Sanctuary (the R&D arm) is having its own zealots and fanatics, and are not shy of doing black ops (e.g. in the Black Mountain series of chronicles).

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:47 »

Thanks...and some of the points raised are things that were not far off my own thoughts.  Think I will continue on the original plan I had, but always good to ask  :D
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:58 »

(1) There's an SoE epic arc, I believe-- the original highsec one.

(2) There's no "actual" way to get your doings officially endorsed by any faction, regardless of who you are. You can work to get your standings up by running missions and such (and even the SoE have work for capsuleers, IIRC), but very few will criticize you for claiming that you've got some sort of relationship with a faction that isn't strictly possible within the game's framework so long as you don't take it too far.

(3) The SoE do have a militant branch of sorts. Check out the "Black Mountain" chronicle series (which I don't actually like very much, but for other reasons).

Well actually...

If there's a monitored actor character you can try cutting deals with them~
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2013, 12:12 »

Can you?

Excellent. Good for CCP. A bit late for my use, but excellent.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2013, 12:42 »

Can you?

Excellent. Good for CCP. A bit late for my use, but excellent.

I'm not sure who the SOE character is, but generally yes. If it's a simple handshake of acknowledgment and what not, it's not that difficult in my experience. If you come asking for serious military ops, things that requires Internal Affair's approval, then it'll probably get turned away until a later date.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2013, 12:53 »

So, during a conversation I had in game the other day, someone brought up the idea that I should take my Order to the Sisters of EVE.  Thinking about it, and what the SoE seem to stand for, it does make a certain amount of sense...join and provide armed protection for their missions, etc.  I am not 100% married to the idea, but would there be a way to go about this in game?

I ask mostly because I don't just want to say "this is how it is" especially if there is a chance to build a story around it.  Hope that makes sense.

Yeah if you have the time you should read the Black Mountain chronicle. It tells a lot about Sanctuary and the military means of the sisters.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2013, 13:11 »

I had thoughts about this a while back, too. Definitely you should read the Black Mountain chronicles.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2013, 13:27 »

Thanks.  Will track down the recommended reading and proceed from there  :)

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2013, 13:55 »

In any case, using the (perhaps tired, but it's most of what we have available) mechanism of agent missions as an indicator, the SoE do have a need for military allies. Shin used to run mission for the SoE in Pure Blind, and about half of them were kill missions. Then there was that time that her SoE agent gave her several cases of high tech firearms as part of a mission reward... ;)

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2013, 15:20 »

TBL has a nice peek into SOE and how they deal with things.

They are humanitarian, but they will fuck you up if you stand in their way. They are not at all nice people at core, lots of grimdark in that house of holy. Pardon the pun.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2013, 15:40 »

They are humanitarian, but they will fuck you up if you stand in their way. They are not at all nice people at core, lots of grimdark in that house of holy. Pardon the pun.
There's a lot of grimdark in everything Hjalti writes. It's one of the things that generally bugs me about his stuff, honestly.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:07 »

There's a lot of grimdark in everything Hjalti writes. It's one of the things that generally bugs me about his stuff, honestly.
Oh come on, the very end of Black Mountain is deliciously hair-raising with the realization that the SoE are just as cold and brutal as the SoCT.
Pages: [1] 2 3