Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Militant Arm of the Sisters of Eve?  (Read 4000 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Militant Arm of the Sisters of Eve?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2013, 13:56 »

TBL has a nice peek into SOE and how they deal with things.

They are humanitarian, but they will fuck you up if you stand in their way. They are not at all nice people at core, lots of grimdark in that house of holy. Pardon the pun.
There's a lot of grimdark in everything Hjalti writes. It's one of the things that generally bugs me about his stuff, honestly.
Oh come on, the very end of Black Mountain is deliciously hair-raising with the realization that the SoE are just as cold and brutal as the SoCT.

Amateurs  8)

[spoiler]They lose hrrr[/spoiler]

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2013, 08:58 »

TBL has a nice peek into SOE and how they deal with things.

They are humanitarian, but they will fuck you up if you stand in their way. They are not at all nice people at core, lots of grimdark in that house of holy. Pardon the pun.
There's a lot of grimdark in everything Hjalti writes. It's one of the things that generally bugs me about his stuff, honestly.
What, that it reflects reality? Because if you think it's somehow cheery out there in the real world, you should remember that this species has been at war *somewhere* without interruption since you were born. Sometimes I wish I could give people my perspective via some kind of mind-meld, but then I realize how unethical that would be, as it would rapidly lead to their suicide :|

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:10 »

What, that it reflects reality? Because if you think it's somehow cheery out there in the real world, you should remember that this species has been at war *somewhere* without interruption since you were born. Sometimes I wish I could give people my perspective via some kind of mind-meld, but then I realize how unethical that would be, as it would rapidly lead to their suicide :|
Reality is not unceasingly grimdark, there are, believe it or not, good people out there, and heroic things done. There's a lot of darkness, but there's light too...but if you read what Hjalti writes, it's unceasingly grim to the point of absurdity. I think WH40K might be less grim. :P

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:27 »

Read or skimmed over the Black Mountain stories...interesting and had some cool concepts, but I found it a little too grim and dark.  I don't mind a little bit of darkness, but some ray of hope is better at least in my opinion; I'm also more for a happily ever after ending in the fiction I read.  Reality is nice, but I read and write to get away from reality and like to have something uplifting.

Still, some very interesting concepts, though having given it some thought, I don't think being the "Knights Militant of the SoE" is what I envision.  Work for and provide aid sure, but not tied to the organization (and this isn't because of Black Mountain).

Thanks for all the input and suggestions  :D
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2013, 10:55 »

Read or skimmed over the Black Mountain stories...interesting and had some cool concepts, but I found it a little too grim and dark.  I don't mind a little bit of darkness, but some ray of hope is better at least in my opinion;

Definitely.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2013, 12:52 »

But...but...but this is EVE. We kill Rays of Hope like we kill Rays of Matar. Life is as dark as space, and death is the only escape (but dying will probably be horrible). Most podders, wealthy to the point of absurdity, choose to throw themselves into dangerous situations which threaten their assets, crews, and themselves personally rather than retiring to some enormous estate on a highsec planet. Some go pirate just to feel that thrill of life. Even Istvaan's character has given up and is living his life in a hazy, drug-addled orgy of hedonistic escapism.

There is no escape. Every happy event in your life will go up in smoke. Every fine meal will turn to poisoned ashes in your mouth. Every lover will turn out to be a Valentine operative. Every small joy will turn out to be the lure of some great big anglerfish. There is no escape.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2013, 12:59 »

Respectfully, I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...where cannons shoot rainbows across space and Caldari switch from their somber blues and greys to vibrant purples and pinks....
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2013, 13:04 »

But...but...but this is EVE. We kill Rays of Hope like we kill Rays of Matar. Life is as dark as space, and death is the only escape (but dying will probably be horrible). Most podders, wealthy to the point of absurdity, choose to throw themselves into dangerous situations which threaten their assets, crews, and themselves personally rather than retiring to some enormous estate on a highsec planet. Some go pirate just to feel that thrill of life. Even Istvaan's character has given up and is living his life in a hazy, drug-addled orgy of hedonistic escapism.

There is no escape. Every happy event in your life will go up in smoke. Every fine meal will turn to poisoned ashes in your mouth. Every lover will turn out to be a Valentine operative. Every small joy will turn out to be the lure of some great big anglerfish. There is no escape.
Yeah. That's fucking boring, just as boring if everything had been sweetness and light. You need both for a good story.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2013, 13:35 »

Yeah. That's fucking boring, just as boring if everything had been sweetness and light. You need both for a good story.

I do agree that there needs to be some dark to help enhance the light of a story, and some light to offset the dark.

I love the Warhammer 40K universe in terms of the fluff and some of the concepts, but I get tired of it quickly because there is no hope, there is only war.  Great for a tactical mini game, but having run Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Rogue Trader, and Black Crusade, I can only go for a handful of sessions before I need something that is hopeful.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2013, 14:24 »

You should read the Ciaphas Cain books by Sandy Mitchell.

Excellent military fiction with a distinctly humorous side.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2013, 14:29 »

There is also plenty of heroism and self-sacrifice for the greater good in 40K as well, it's not an unceasing torrent of darkness. In fact, it's the fight against the encroaching darkness of the Chaos Gods and Tyrannids that provides the very opportunity for that kind of heroism (even if some of the methods used to fight it are...extreme to say the least).

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2013, 14:36 »

True, there are moments of heroism and self-sacrifice in 40K, and the setting is very rich and has a lot of potential.  I just find at times that the "there is only war" creeps in too often and the heroic sacrifices get lost in the dark.  Think that's why, of all the 40K settings I like Rogue Trader the most.  One, it easily steps out of the common view of the universe and two, spaceships!  I have to admit, when I started playing EVE, my first thought was "Awesome, I can be a Rogue Trader with cool tech!"

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2013, 15:02 »

I...I always liked the Necron fiction best.

I swear I'm not a psychopath.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2013, 15:12 »

From what I hear, the most recent update to the Necron seem to have made them more interesting on the fluff side of things.  I thought they were kind of interesting, but felt a little too much like GW was trying to get an undead army into space.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2013, 17:20 »

From what I hear, the most recent update to the Necron seem to have made them more interesting on the fluff side of things.  I thought they were kind of interesting, but felt a little too much like GW was trying to get an undead army into space.
Tomb Lords...IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3