Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wheels within wheels... plans within plans...  (Read 2742 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Plans! Those things that never survive contact with the enemy other players.

Are you a planner? Do you have long term goals? When you enter a 'scene' is there something specific you're angling to have happen? Do you try to craft stories for your characters?

What about your PC? Do they float on the (solar) winds like a leaf? Have intricate, long-term plans they work to see realized? A few vague goals?
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
Re: Wheels within wheels... plans within plans...
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jun 2013, 11:44 »

As a player, I have a handful of long-term goals unrelated to RPing but I don't really care if I reach them or not.

As a role-player, I tend to see it as my job to create a detailed character and then set her loose in the world. While Makkal sometimes surprises me (joining RDC instead of PIE), I have a very strong concept of her in mind and attempt to constantly base her interactions with others within her frame of behaviors. A lot of times this means her doing things that I, as a player, don't really like. From my vantage point, I can easily see how unoptimal what she does or says is for her or for me.

Makkal has a handful of things she's passionate about achieving. She tends to push everything else away as she focuses on what she wants, but she's been suffering mostly frustration lately.

Current Events

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun 2013, 11:59 »

I deliberately try to avoid planning. I want to allow events outside my control to shape my RP and my characters. This has sometimes screwed me over, but I find it more interesting overall than pursuing specific objectives of which I know what the outcome will be long before I reach it. I've created a particular character, and I want to see how that character reacts to the unforeseen situations around her based on her personality. I've set the stage, it's up to the characters to shape the plot.

ICly, definitely not. Samira stares down at her feet as she walks and has no idea what's coming up ahead of her.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2013, 12:03 by Samira Kernher »

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:05 »

I tend to start with a very loose concept and then begin to fill in the details as I go.  In tabletop games, I will usually have a stronger concept in mind when I build my character than when I first build a character in an MMO.  Part of that is, in the tabletop setting, I know who I'm going to be playing with so that gives me a framework in which to start building the character.  Online, I have no idea what I might run into so I try to keep my concepts a bit more generalized and let the interactions begin to define the character.  Also, in the case of EVE, not knowing much about the setting, I decided to keep the initial concept as basic as possible.

But Steffanie has surprised me a lot.  I had figured I would play against the grain and try to be an extroverted, live for the party and excesses type character.  That concept pretty much burned up upon entry and I'm glad that it did.  I, and the character, are building up long term plans now...I find that once I find a hook with a character I will start building from there and filling in as much detail as possible.

As to the plans I have in mind, I would like to achieve them, but the more I think about it, the more I feel I will have more fun with the journey than actually fulfilling the goals.  I am prepared to see most of them blow up in my face and I'm okay with that.  Steff, well, I won't know how she'll take it until it happens.   :D

Which actually brings me to a question...Now, I know pretty much what motivates and guides Steff and a general idea of what she will and won't do, but for the most part most of what happens, her actions, choice of wording, etc. is very much unplanned and on more than one occasion her going in a completely different direction than I had intended.  Does anyone else have that experience of their character seemingly having a life of their own?
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:22 »

Joker: Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just... do things. The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon's got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are.

Introduce a little Anarchy.

*ahem*

Silas has plans within plans within plans.  Divided up into long term (multi-year) and shorter term (less than a year) RP things.

Lots of little things happen unexpectedly but there has always been planning on a sociopathic level going on.

« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2013, 12:24 by Silas Vitalia »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:24 »

Saede is definitely a planner. Though, she's forced to adapt most of her plans on the fly and completely change directions pretty often. So its kind of like she's trying to play speedchess while blindfolded. She's not terribly good at it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:42 »

Karm's plans rarely seem to work out as expected. This is especially the case with long term plans. I think the longest-term plan took about two years to complete, and got pretty much the opposite reaction that the character expected. Spontaneous action seems to be working out better for her, so that's her current focus. I'm sure I'll come up with some short-term schemes soon.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:47 »

Neither Kala nor myself plan at all.

We just take whatever comes and react as naturally as I can manage. This means that any time you are talking to us, everything we say has been thought up at that exact moment.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:49 »

I have a major master plan. According to this plan, I should do random things. If I will follow this plan correctly, I will have totally random planned result.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #9 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:50 »

OOC: I don't have plans, RL keeps me too busy these days. Waiting for sec tags to get cheaper.

IC: Vince doesn't have any plans anymore. Capsuleer ennui has settled in. He rarely leaves his capsule unless spending time with his wife.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:54 »

We just take whatever comes and react as naturally as I can manage. This means that any time you are talking to us, everything we say has been thought up at that exact moment.

Do you mean you didn't start with any character history, preferences, and such? Your PC was a blank slate and you've just made things up and added them as you've spoken with other characters?

I tend to start with a very loose concept and then begin to fill in the details as I go. 

I knew you were going to say that.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2013, 12:56 by Makkal »

Current Events

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jun 2013, 13:00 »

Quote from: kalaratiri link=topic=4931.m sg78885#msg78885 date=1370544431

Do you mean you didn't start with any character history, preferences, and such? Your PC was a blank slate and you've just made things up and added them as you've spoken with other characters?

Yes.

I didn't create Kala with the intention of RP at all. She was simply the latest in a string of characters lasting over 3 years. I kept getting bored and making new ones, so with Kala I wanted to try something completely new with the intention of actually keeping a character for more than 3 months.

After about 3 weeks of playing, I'd trained all the very necessary early skills and was going through the offices in Pator looking for a corp. Spotted Gradient, went "wow that's an old corp" and joined their public channel. I built my character an extremely basic background, and preceded to go completely immersive, with almost no contact to anyone outside the corp. Kala has sort of developed from there.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Anslol

« Reply #12 on: 06 Jun 2013, 13:02 »

Anslo doesn't plan.

Not at all.

Nope...

Nooooot at all.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #13 on: 06 Jun 2013, 13:06 »

Safai has an overall plan that is unobtainable and untenable. It keeps her going, though.

I wonder if, after a few years, she still be persistently devout or driven mad in the face of impossible opposition.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 06 Jun 2013, 13:26 »

OOCly a bit of both.

ICly Lyn may have plans... If we can call those plans. More akin to apparently chaotic thoughts and visions that are only comprehensible to her mind jumping in all directions at the same time.
Pages: [1] 2 3