Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re: House of Heidrich  (Read 4660 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Re: House of Heidrich
« on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:38 »

Heidrich, eh?

If you want to avoid "lol nazi" comments swapping that name for something less inflammatory might be a good idea...  :|

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
Re: Re: House of Heidrich
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2013, 03:47 »

I have to agree with Laerise there, you might want to change that name.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2013, 05:46 »

Curiosity speaking here, but honestly what the fuck does his last name matter? Until Laerise brought it up I never even thought of googling to see what nazi may have shared a last name with a fictional character.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2013, 07:21 »

Curiosity speaking here, but honestly what the fuck does his last name matter? Until Laerise brought it up I never even thought of googling to see what nazi may have shared a last name with a fictional character.

To those who recognize the name it may matter in terms of first impressions, obviously. Reinhard Heydrich was hardly just any Nazi, either. It's almost the equivalent of naming one's character Himmler. So it's definitely an encumbered name.

Once the characters build solid reputations of their own, this will matter less and less, I expect. After all, there is somebody called "Mangala" running for CSM. Still, I think it's fair to point out that some character names can and probably will color some first impressions and come across as tasteless to some people. Whether or not to heed such objections is entirely up to the players, of course.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2013, 09:52 »

To those who recognize the name it may matter in terms of first impressions, obviously. Reinhard Heydrich was hardly just any Nazi, either. It's almost the equivalent of naming one's character Himmler. So it's definitely an encumbered name.

Once the characters build solid reputations of their own, this will matter less and less, I expect. After all, there is somebody called "Mangala" running for CSM. Still, I think it's fair to point out that some character names can and probably will color some first impressions and come across as tasteless to some people. Whether or not to heed such objections is entirely up to the players, of course.

Mangala is a gentleman, and I will have no bad words spoken of him ;)

(seriously, he's a great guy. Hilarious on comms and an excellent FC)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:16 »

Lastly, the name Heidrich was randomly chosen from a list of names from the surname website hosted by behindthename.com with no prior knowledge of who the real Heydrich was or what he did back when Nazi Germany existed. I also have absolutely zero intent of trashing a 6 million SP industrial toon for the sake of pleasing anybody who thinks the name is inflammatory or offensive in any way. If you are offended, please note that this is not the 1940's, my name is not Reinhard, and I invite you to get past it. Jokes referencing my last name don't bother me and my reputation will speak for itself as it develops within this community.

Good answer.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:19 »

Lastly, the name Heidrich was randomly chosen from a list of names from the surname website hosted by behindthename.com with no prior knowledge of who the real Heydrich was or what he did back when Nazi Germany existed. I also have absolutely zero intent of trashing a 6 million SP industrial toon for the sake of pleasing anybody who thinks the name is inflammatory or offensive in any way. If you are offended, please note that this is not the 1940's, my name is not Reinhard, and I invite you to get past it. Jokes referencing my last name don't bother me and my reputation will speak for itself as it develops within this community.

Good answer.

Stop stealing my words, Kala.

Good stance to take, Gervas - I get a lot of shit about Morwen's surname being shared with a popular anime. Totally different level, but a similar issue, so I know how you feel there.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:37 »

Mangala is a gentleman, and I will have no bad words spoken of him ;)

(seriously, he's a great guy. Hilarious on comms and an excellent FC)

That just illustrates my point, then.  ;)

And Gervas, I agree that that's a good answer.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2013, 17:01 »

Good answer.

Stop stealing my words, Kala.

Good stance to take, Gervas - I get a lot of shit about Morwen's surname being shared with a popular anime. Totally different level, but a similar issue, so I know how you feel there.

Thing is, Amarr already are treated like they are child molesting space catholic racists. With a name like that you're inviting it, really. First impressions matter and you will probably get frustrated by a lot of things when interaction with those that oppose the Empire, but if you don't have a problem with them - potentially - taking that cheap shot at you again and again, then everything is cool.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2013, 17:15 »

Thing is, Amarr already are treated like they are child molesting space catholic racists. With a name like that you're inviting it, really. First impressions matter and you will probably get frustrated by a lot of things when interaction with those that oppose the Empire, but if you don't have a problem with them - potentially - taking that cheap shot at you again and again, then everything is cool.

1. Please do not place so much stock on last names for first impressions. It's bad for your health.
2. Please do not presume to know what will probably frustrate me.
3. Opposition is what makes EVE go round.
4. Thank you for re-iterating what I've already said about the lack of care I already had in someone's need to cheap shot me.

That is all.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2013, 18:32 »

I think Heidrich invokes Heydrich as much as Mithra (Which in itself is a very loaded name if you look at it as spelled. That said it does invoke a connection with Mitre, especially as in Swedish it's spelled Mitra.
So with a name like your own you're inviting the stereotype of child molesting space catholic racists, just as much as he is, if not more.
So I hope you're cool with inviting cheap shots again and again?
Cause I sure am cool with that.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2013, 19:03 »

If it was Hitler, Himmler, or Goebbels, I'd agree with the comments. But Heidrich to me isn't as strongly referential as the others... I had to look it up before I knew who it was, and I do a fair amount of WW2 reading. To me at least, it just doesn't evoke anything in the way those other three names would, and it's still commonly used in today's world.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013, 19:05 by Samira Kernher »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2013, 19:09 »

I approve of your response, Gervas, and think it'd be something handy to keep on hand if anyone goes rabble rabble at you about it. For what it's worth, I (despite studying WWII history a lot) did not make the connection until it was pointed out.

At the extreme, if you do begin to become concerned about it, one option I have heard people taking before is petitioning themselves as a preemptive measure so that your defense is already on record should any further petitions come in from others.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2013, 19:16 »

I really do appreciate the positive responses in my defense about my last name. But at this point, this issue is becoming something of a petty grade school dispute over the association of a single letter in my name. Can we please just put a cap on this before this starts becoming a flame fest? I see someone here has already taken the liberty of sticking the kindling under the pot. I mean seriously. Why is this even an issue?

Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2