Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aldrith Shutaq was once court poet and author in the service of the Etranhi Holders on Mishi IV? Read more here.

Author Topic: Backstage definition of racism.  (Read 3886 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Backstage definition of racism.
« on: 18 Apr 2013, 16:47 »

Recently a post got removed for being racist.

In order to prevent future postings of racism, it would be helpful if a definition of racism is included in the forum rules, as various people tend to have various definitions of racism.
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

Re: Backstage definition of racism.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:38 »

I am not sure if racism is the right word, or if this can be considered as racism, but I think it might well be qualified as "discriminatory".

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:43 »

Offensive is a good word.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:54 »

Well, I was going to wait for a moderator to chime in since this is their field but here's the way I see it:

Racism is any word, phrase or illustration (including photos) that portrays a particular ethnicity or ethnic group in a derogatory or mocking way, regardless of the intent behind it.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:57 »

Maybe but it's a catch-all word too, which can ultimately be used for pretty much anything.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:00 »

Maybe but it's a catch-all word too, which can ultimately be used for pretty much anything.

True. I think the reason for moderation of the post in question leans more towards being offensive than it does to racism. I didn't personally think the post needed to be moderated, but I can see that others might be much more offended. I've been told that my Caucasian ancestry lends me some sort of inability to understand the impact of subtle racism.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:16 »

I've been told that my Caucasian ancestry lends me some sort of inability to understand the impact of subtle racism.

I see what you did there!  :eek:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:23 »

I've been told that my Caucasian ancestry lends me some sort of inability to understand the impact of subtle racism.

I see what you did there!  :eek:

I really was told something like that once, that because I'm white, I wouldn't understand.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:54 »

I really was told something like that once, that because I'm white, I wouldn't understand.
That's hogwash, as you know.  Very unfortunate how widely held that opinion is.  Especially among American blacks.

Re:OP - I like ArtofLight's post.  That said, there's also a blurry line between Racial Humor, which I enjoy, and Racism, which is malicious.  When in doubt as to which a post is, of course a Mod must act.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2013, 13:04 »

Shitphone doublepost:  I think it worth noting that we've always supported our carefully chosen Team's choices.  I.E., if 5 of us see no issue but Mod #6 <snips>, then it's held to have been snip-worthy.  If this were abused, the forum would die.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.