Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Guristas co-founder Jirai Laitanen, also known as Fatal, was podded in YC106, but suffered from severe memory loss and motor impairment because he only had an inferior clone on standby.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: learning skills  (Read 9996 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: learning skills
« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2013, 16:12 »

And if Gallente, drones.  You always want to be able to field 5 drones if you have the bandwidth/drone bay for it.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jun 2013, 09:42 »

The only skills I would suggest that a new player train to 5 reasonably quickly are the ones required for T2 tank mods (Hull Upgrades V for T2 EANMs and active armor hardeners; non-energized platings only require IV for T2) and some of the basic rank 1 skills like Electronics, Engineering, Navigation, etc.

derp...should have looked at this sooner and could probably have a couple of skills at higher level now instead of having small hybrid turret and gunnery at 5...
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jun 2013, 11:12 »

derp...should have looked at this sooner and could probably have a couple of skills at higher level now instead of having small hybrid turret and gunnery at 5...

Those aren't bad investments. Top it off with Small Blaster Specialization (and/or Small Rail Spec if that's your thing) and enjoy your ability to fit shiny Tech 2 guns.  :)
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2013, 11:15 »

The only skills I would suggest that a new player train to 5 reasonably quickly are the ones required for T2 tank mods (Hull Upgrades V for T2 EANMs and active armor hardeners; non-energized platings only require IV for T2) and some of the basic rank 1 skills like Electronics, Engineering, Navigation, etc.

Poke me tonight or come find me on TS3 and I can take a look at your skill plan with you if you want. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2013, 11:32 »

Thanks, I shall do that as, well right now I'm not quite sure where I should be going.  I have ideas and general concepts, but keep second guessing what I should be doing.

I know there technically no wrong or right way, but with so many possible options and things to do, I feel I might be cheating myself out of some of the fun of the game.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:09 »

Suggestions

1. Find a ships that seems pretty/cool/powerful to you and ask in OOC for a good fit. Train up whatever skills you need to fly that ship+fit.

2. Pick something you enjoy doing in EVE and pour skill points into it. Do you enjoy exploration? PvP or PvE? Market games? Mining? The best way to make money or spend time in EVE is doing something you enjoy doing.

3. Find a skill plan someone else has made and follow it. EVEMon + Certificates is responsible for 70% of where I've placed my skill points. 'Core Competency - Standard' doesn't take that long and is solid, though depending on your ship preference all that multitargeting is wasted. Transmission Lost had a Beginner and Advanced skill program geared toward Caldari wormhole life, which ended up just being perfect for Makkal.

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2013, 12:50 »

Right now I am enjoying the PvE part of EVE and blowing up NPC pirates and stuff, so I have been focusing a little more on combat, though have learned that there are a few skills I missed, but I'm making up for it.

When I found the Thorax, the first thing I did was work on the recommended certs listed for the ship before I even took it out of the hangar.

And as much as I like the Thorax, I've been looking at the following three hulls: Talos, Hyperion, and Megathron as what I would like to move into and have been looking at the projected skill and certs in EVEMon...but I'm also second-guessing myself and worrying that I'm missing out on that nebulous 'something'.  There are other areas of the game that are appealing, but when it comes right down to it, I love big ships with big guns...always have and I think always will.

I know I should look more closely at ship fittings and have asked questions, but I also find that I learn better by doing.  I can look at a fitting, but right now it doesn't really mean much to me.  Unfortunately, learning from mistakes can be quite costly in EVE so I think that has been the cause of some of my doubting what direction to take.

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun 2013, 13:15 »

Getting into battleships too quickly is generally a bad idea in my experience (painful experience - I was devastated when I lost my first battleship, a Megathron, in a level 3 mission). I also wouldn't pick the Talos for PvE, there's not enough tank on it. If you really have your heart set on battleships, go ahead, but in general I'd recommend holding off on getting one until you have the skills to fit it with a good tech 2 tank and also have a solid set of drone skills to help you deal with smaller targets.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jun 2013, 13:32 »

Oh, I don't plan on trying to jump right into a BS without having the recommended certs at the very least.  And even then, and this is why I keep going around in circles with what to do is, until I can afford to lose a BS (as odd as that sounds), I don't think I want to go ripping around the verse in one.  Which means making money...an aspect of MMOs in general that I have had a hard time with in the past.  Right now, I've been just flying missions and trying to sell the salvage that I grab and hope for the best.

Still, I am enjoying the learning experience and like that there isn't a linear path to being 'successful' in EVE.

As I sat there at lunch thinking of what I'd like to do with a battleship, I was reminded of something rather silly I did in the old MechWarrior 2 video game.  Took the 100 ton Danshi, put as many light machine guns on it as I could and lots of ammo.  It kind of broke the mechanics of the game cause of the ROF of the machine guns meant that you could wipe out a Marauder IIC in under three seconds.  Somehow I don't think slapping a bunch of small turrets onto a battleship will have the same result.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2013, 13:54 by Steffanie Saissore »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun 2013, 14:20 »

...painful experience - I was devastated...
I consider such an important part of learning EVE. I have a number of SP sunk into it already.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jun 2013, 15:00 »

I consider such an important part of learning EVE. I have a number of SP sunk into it already.

True. The ability to bounce back up after getting punched in the face is the most important skill in EVE.  :)
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun 2013, 15:49 »

True. The ability to bounce back up after getting punched in the face is the most important skill in EVE.  :)

I learned that the early on after I think it was the 5th or 6th Algos destroyer I lost, at least three of those losses happened within the span of an hour.  Learned a lot from it though and have put those lessons to good use.  :)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:35 »

As far as making money as a newbie goes, you really can't beat ninja salvaging (if probing down L4 mission runners in highsec hasn't been nerfed?)

High profit (better than L1, L2 and some/most L3 missions), low risk, and probing practice which will serve you well as a scout for a pvp roam, gang or otherwise.  And you get tears to fuel your ship.  It's win/win.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Shiori

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:33 »

As far as making money as a newbie goes, you really can't beat ninja salvaging (if probing down L4 mission runners in highsec hasn't been nerfed?)
Hasn't really been the case since the Noctis, has it? The price of salvage has been in steady decline ever since. It's worth doing it for the experience, but the money is decidedly lackluster.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:16 »

Does it make me a bitter vet that I knee-jerk thought this would be a thread about whether Spartial Awareness and Clarity are worth it or not?
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3