Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: learning skills  (Read 9999 times)

hellstimeclock

• Clonejack
learning skills
« on: 16 Apr 2013, 23:47 »

I'm new on here can someone please direct me in the proper order in which one would start the skill training program ...thank you
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: learning skills
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2013, 23:59 »

News-flash - learning skills are obsolete and was phased out quite some time ago. They don't exist anymore and is not something you need to worry about  ;)

hellstimeclock

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2013, 00:08 »

mmm thank you and i'll have to take that up with havo he made it known that it was very important in what order that i was to learn the skill tree
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2013, 00:08 »

I think he means what order to learn skills in. Not literal 'Learning Skills'. The stuff like 'Electronics', 'Engineering', etc that have sections named after them are a good place to start. Also, there is a program someone made for planning skill training, but the name escapes me right now.

Getting the frigate skill to about 4 isn't a bad place to begin either.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2013, 00:13 »

Also, there is a program someone made for planning skill training, but the name escapes me right now.

EVEmon is probably what you're thinking of.

hellstimeclock

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2013, 00:19 »

I'll try that thank you.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:35 »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:39 »

News-flash - learning skills are obsolete and was phased out quite some time ago. They don't exist anymore and is not something you need to worry about  ;)
If only you'd been there when I started. All the guides said 'pick learning skills first' but I couldn't find a single one. :(
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:54 »

Int+Mem-->the second level of both max then max all learning.  Play other games for the first two months while those train, then play EVE.  That's how my first 3 months went.   :P

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2013, 09:00 »

If only you'd been there when I started. All the guides said 'pick learning skills first' but I couldn't find a single one. :(

And you were lucky, young pup! I remember taking that advice and learning my learning skills first. An interminable time waiting for them to finish while derping around in my Atron...

It was a hard time. I remember it. Walking 10 miles to to the pod every day. Uphill. Both ways. Through three feet of snow!

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2013, 10:43 »

And you were lucky, young pup! I remember taking that advice and learning my learning skills first. An interminable time waiting for them to finish while derping around in my Atron...

It was a hard time. I remember it. Walking 10 miles to to the pod every day. Uphill. Both ways. Through three feet of snow!
Who would've thought thirty years ago we'd sit here drinking Chateau de Chatelier
That said I can't say I miss the learning skills.

To the OP all I can say is don't sweat training all to five. Just get fitting, capacitator, nav and gunnery skills to four and go out and blow stuff up. Don't forget you can go out and blow stuff up while training the skills. It is encouraged.
When you're all happy with everything you start training to five. Don't waste your time as a new player sitting and biting your nails in station worrying about being max skilled.
You can do that when you're an old and bitter pilot.
Seize the chance to be an uncaring loon that zoom around in inexpensive ships shooting everything that moves under some fictional pretext or just because you feel like it for whatever reason you made up as you saw the target.
Also: Proper piloting is done sans pants and sometimes in the nude. Goin "Wheeeeee" is optional but encouraged.

Godspeed and may your point always hold.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:39 »

I did tell him learning skills.  Derp.  In my defense, I've been in prison since Aug 2010.  :p

Edit: Jek's advice is awesome btw
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2013, 11:42 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:41 »

I couldn't agree more with what Jekaterine said. The difference between 4 and 5 in a skill is pretty small, considering the time it takes to train that. For most everything you'd want to do (yes, this includes research, mining, marketing, mission running, ratting, PI, and pvp), 4 is plenty sufficient.

For pvp especially, you'll spend a lot of time either dying horribly or winning easily. Having skills at 5 instead of 4 would perhaps turn a very few of those losses into wins, but otherwise it's all down to personal tactics on your own part. Player skill trumps character skill in pvp.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2013, 15:16 »

Thirding it.  There are very few ships that need the skills at 5 to really shine, and those are generally ships that are mediocre to begin with (Pilgrim, for instance), or very niche.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2013, 15:28 »

The only skills I would suggest that a new player train to 5 reasonably quickly are the ones required for T2 tank mods (Hull Upgrades V for T2 EANMs and active armor hardeners; non-energized platings only require IV for T2) and some of the basic rank 1 skills like Electronics, Engineering, Navigation, etc.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: [1] 2 3