Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Author Topic: Reporting a moderator (generally, not a specific one)  (Read 2429 times)

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night

Hi,

If I report a post by a moderator (I don't particularly want to at the moment, but considered it in the past), does the moderator in question automatically get excluded, or do they see a "LARIA HATES YOU" message?

Lazza

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Reporting a moderator (generally, not a specific one)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:48 »

All full moderators see all reports (Graelyn doesn't see any, because he is like a demi-mod and only has limited powers in the Summit channel subforum), regardless of who wrote the post being reported or who made the report.

The system isn't quite as robust as people seem to think it is (or should be).

It basically works like this:
- Reporter clicks Report link and types in stuff in the text field that appears. They will be returned to the thread, and a green "Your report has been sent successfully" message will appear.
- A new thread appears in the "Reported Posts" subforum of the mod/admin section of the forum (invisible to anyone but full mods/admins), with the post's title as the subject, and the person who reported the post as the OP for the thread. The reported post is quoted in the thread, and the reporter's message is included afterward. No indication of who wrote the post in question is given outside of the report thread itself - we have to read the thread to see who was reported, even if we can sometimes take an educated guess. (Additional reports for any given post will appear as new posts in the already-existing report thread.) I'll report your post and quote what it looks like below, just so you can see:

Reported by : Morwen Lagann

Post made by : Laria Raven at <strong>Today</strong> at 11:31 AM

Hi,

If I report a post by a moderator (I don't particularly want to at the moment, but considered it in the past), does the moderator in question automatically get excluded, or do they see a "LARIA HATES YOU" message?

Lazza
The reporter has made the following comment :
Reporting just to show what a report looks like. Not actually a valid report.

- Moderators discuss what to do, or in particularly egregious cases, just act.
- A "[Report solved]" link is inserted into the OP of the report thread. When an official decision is reached through moderator discussion and action is taken (or not), clicking the link automatically locks the report thread.

I miss anything?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:50 »

They will see the reported post as any moderator.
Then it will be weighed according to its merit just as any other report and should it be against the rules then moderation will happen.

As a pre-emptive response for what is likely to be asked down the line:
Not that there is a rule but the moderator in question doesn't join in on the discussion of that report. Nor will said moderator nurture hatred in his soul and come for you or your posts in revenge.
Neither will he entice fellow moderators to put on masks and hide figurative daggers in their cloaks and do unspeakable deeds to your posts in response to being reported.

Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:54 »

As an extension of that, most of the time if a report is of a post in a thread a mod has posted in, even, the mod recuses themselves. (Though in some case - if most of the mod team has posted in the thread, for example - there is an exception.)

Edit: Had to put away my mask and dagger.

Edit2: I'm suddenly imagining the Mod only sections of the forum as much more 'Eyes Wide Shut'. I hope everyone else is too, as that is totally accurate.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 13:07 by Silver Night »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2013, 13:52 »

So, do multiple reports of the same post spawn multiple threads?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2013, 13:54 »

They go into the same thread. However, multiple reports of different posts in the same thread generate their own threads.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2013, 13:58 »

Ohhh, okay. I was concerned for a moment that maybe I should avoid reporting a post if I already know it's been reported (by a friend, for instance) so I don't spam your forums. On the same note, I was a bit concerned that the system could be abused.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:00 »

If someone gets spammy, we will let them know, and take further action if they don't stop.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2013, 14:00 »

I'm not sure how it works if we've made a decision and "solved" the report (which locks the thread in our area) and then someone makes a report after that.

It might make a new thread, or it might just unlock the original. vOv
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:25 »

Quote from: Katrina Oniseki
...that maybe I should avoid reporting a post if I already know it's been reported
One of my fav features.  Helps mods see if something we judge as harmless is maybe worth a closer look.  There's no Critical Mass point, per se,  but it draws our eyes.   

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2013, 17:10 »

Demi-mod.  :lol:

I'm so using that.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:02 »

Edit2: I'm suddenly imagining the Mod only sections of the forum as much more 'Eyes Wide Shut'. I hope everyone else is too, as that is totally accurate.

You know, that whole insidious plot I had to get myself moderated without actually breaking any of the Backstage rules?  I've scrapped it.  While I haven't actually seen more of "Eyes Wide Shut" than the trailers, the whole idea of the mod section being ...  aaagh, I just thought about it again as I was typing, and now I need some more brain bleach.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:38 »

You know, that whole insidious plot I had to get myself moderated without actually breaking any of the Backstage rules?  I've scrapped it.  While I haven't actually seen more of "Eyes Wide Shut" than the trailers, the whole idea of the mod section being ...  aaagh, I just thought about it again as I was typing, and now I need some more brain bleach.

Troll did a bad bad post
*awesome bass*
Troll did a bad bad post
*awesome bass*
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth