Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Terrorist attack at Gallente-Minmatar cultural festival leaves dozens dead...  (Read 8029 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

If I was subscribed I would be there frothing at the mouth and flying the most patriotic ship I could with as many guns as I could fit. God I'm jealous.

*sigh*

Oh well, I can always froth at the mouth for the the aftermath.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain

The Breivik comparison is just the deconstruction talking. I think anyone should be careful with the connotations of bringing such a thing up. This is fiction. That said, stories are always inspired from somewhere.

I'm rather annoyed that Karin Midular has become a punching bag but beyond that I'll refrain from commenting further.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

The Breivik comparison is just the deconstruction talking. I think anyone should be careful with the connotations of bringing such a thing up. This is fiction. That said, stories are always inspired from somewhere.

I'm rather annoyed that Karin Midular has become a punching bag but beyond that I'll refrain from commenting further.

Well, at least she didn't get raped - yet.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

Well, at least she didn't get raped - again.

FTFY

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Anyone on site for event wanna relay info?

Meanwhile in Amarr, every loyalist is fist pumping with the hopes the Republic Fleet starts shooting Fed Navy indiscriminately.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

Some saber-rattling in local and then DED showed up and told the RSS to go home. No shots fired from what I hear.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

RSS jumped across the border and was faced by the Federation Navy. FN would not let them pass, RSS demanded to have the terrorist handed over. This went back and forth a while, RSS demanding their justice and the FN underlining their orders to turn them around.

It went to the point where FN offered final request for RSS to go home before warning shots. DED agent showed up in the nick of time and asked both to calm the hell down, and for the RSS to go home, citing they "were breaching more entries on the Yulai accords than he cared to list". After a while, the RSS cooled down a bit and decided they were getting no-where, going back home. Capsuleers dispersed soon after.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2013, 15:09 by BloodBird »

Lyn Farel

<3 Odo Korachi.

Going alone banzaaai no matter the threat. He also told a little after that he has had his last battleship for 17 years of service before it got blown up at CP.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

A bit pointless really. Also, I thought RSS where supposed to be sneaky? No evidence of sneak there unless they where using the battle-group to cover for a cov-ops. And why do that when you could just send a team on a neutral flag ship?

Truly stupid behaviour by the Minmatar event actors.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lyn Farel

May have been some bold acts planned by a little RSS group that was maybe not answering completely honest to their superiors. That's almost how it looked like to me, angry RSS officials acting on their own. Makes even more sense when you look at the discussion he had with the FN commanding officer. They apparently both know each other very well since they apparently patrol usually each on their side of the border and have done so for years.

I tend to think of it as a local dispute that got locally blown out of proportions rather than something completely official, except maybe on the FC side. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Republic authorities to deny any involvement in the affair. Or just stay silent.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave

Wow, I was making references to how Tony G absolutely desecrated the Midular character, now I thought she could retire peacefully and Abraxas goes and gets her shot.

Girl can't catch a break.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

I don't see Brevik as the inspiration here.

Karen Midular = Gabby Giffords

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

Never claimed he was an inspiration for anything, I claimed that the events hit rather close to home for me. Other than that I have no real comment on what CCP may or may not have been inspired from, if anything. May have just cooked it up in a brain-storming session a few days ago and no-one took note of the similarities to somewhat recent IRL events.

As for Midular, I am quite happy to see her active in politics in recent crons, but yeah, it's a bit 'wtf' that shit keeps happening to her like this.

Creep

• Omelette

A bit pointless really. Also, I thought RSS where supposed to be sneaky? No evidence of sneak there unless they where using the battle-group to cover for a cov-ops. And why do that when you could just send a team on a neutral flag ship?

Truly stupid behaviour by the Minmatar event actors.
Depends on what exactly it turns out they're up to.

If you think the RSS was doing this on their own, driven by tribal anger and so impassioned that they would throw caution to the wind and dive over the border in a bid to scare the fed into giving up the perp - yeah, sounds unlikely.
But as I said in this otherwise unrelated post, if the News Team is being very clever here, this might actually be a very plausible action, directed by Shakor to take advantage of the now leaderless (and no doubt very angry) Sebiestor clan (which has been his main opposition to date). Midular, despite having been booted from power by Shakor, is still his main opponent in the Republic. She's still the chief of the Sebbies and is still capable of swaying opinion against him. Her death means his profit, and nobody in the Republic is going to overlook that dynamic shift. He (if we pretend EVE is real) needs to be very careful how he reacts to this to avoid a backlash against a public perception of callous oportunism. He needs to take the Sebeistor side, because right now everyone is grieving with them.

SO, this would be the Political Theory:
The RSS is dispatched (loudly! Very loudly! Talking-to-random-pilots-LOUDLY!) to make a very public show of the Shakor administration's passionate, blindly-angry, perhaps even 'stereotypically Brutor' desire for justice for this Ray of Matar, this great personality and politician. They are stopped by the Fed, having been very LOUD about their intentions and the time of their attempt, and do not receive the go-ahead to engage, despite whatever angry words may have been exchanged. Shakor now has made his token gesture of grief-stricken impulse, has appeased the Sebiestors (who will be very wary of his now-oppositionless actions in the coming days regardless), and has made it clear that he is reacting just like any schmuck on the street.
He can now make loud, empty statements about the Federation's poor handling of the situation from a position of power, having already made a desperate, "dangerous" move. A grieving public likes that. The Federation is going to forgive the RSS for the time being — they have, what, a quarter of the Matari population living as Federation citizens? They need to keep those people happy, as well as maintain their military and economic alliance with the Republic. Both Roden and Shakor will keep the alliance's status quo while making a show of political strength. The Federation will (assuming there's no dramatic prison-break, which WOULD be stereotypical CCP) punish the Terrorist — probably by death — and half the Republic will accept that and the other half will complain that THEY should have been the ones to tear the bastard apart with their bare hands.
The repercussions of the RSS' actions will take place only after the fuss is quieted down and the media is not scrutinizing every move. There will be concessions made behind closed doors, hidden behind other justifications, and certain deals will be made to appease the Federation and the ostensibly offended Republic, and it will be swept away quietly.
Shakor will be in a strengthened position, and though the Sebiestor tribe will still probably oppose his policies, they'll only do it in the same way they had been pre-shooting, rather than the awful intensification it could have become. And they (and the general, apathetic public) will have a sense that he did do the Right Thing™ in this time of crisis, and will be less dead-set against him.
Roden will have maintained the Federations senior-partner role in the Gallente-Matar relationship, and everyone will doubtless agree that he followed the rules and kept a cool head.

It's politics.

Naturally, all sorts of extenuating circumstances could throw a wrench in the works and fuck some critical part of the above plan up. That would be fun.

On the other hand, they might just be setting up a really clumsy Matar-Gallente split. In which case I would be most disappointed with them, because this sort of thing could get really cool.

EDIT: I could easily seethis as a really transparent beginning to a super nationalistic ethnic Gallente vs immigrant Matari clash. Expect to see the Federation Matari rioting and some Black Eagles shooting them and everyone's jimmies getting rustled. Calling it now.

THIS.
I've been waiting for the Gun-Control posts to start up on the Summit myself.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2013, 00:09 by Creep »

Aelisha Montenagre

What I was hoping for:

(FYI - Clearly a Sebiestor wielding the deer)

What I got:

But I guess it can't be explosions and schadenfreude all the time :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6